Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
That makes you a bigot as well, since you are intolerant of all Christians (since this is the term you use) despite that fact that Christians are very different. Shame on you.
How is asking Christians to keep their religion and religious beliefs to themseleves unless one is asked about them...being intolerant

Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM

44 posts, read 33,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
How is asking Christians to keep their religion and religious beliefs to themseleves unless one is asked about them...being intolerant
Because not all Christians "sell" their religion. So by bashing "Christians" as a whole, folks are bashing many denominations that don't engage in any of the nasty behaviors that people here grouse about (rightfully so). Separate out the Fundies and Evangels and I have no issue since the stereotyping will cease.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,386 times
Quote:
As I said to the others, there are many denominations of Christianity and to paint all Christians with the same brush is irresponsible at best.

And those Christians and Muslims who have been bigoted and hateful towards others will find what they dish out being sent right back at them. But if you go back and read the other posts you will see that it is only the Christians and Muslims who seem to think its ok to dish it out then get all upset and yell that they are being unfairly attacked when they get less then nice responses.

You will not find ugly posts coming from others who are religious but feel their path is private, and who don't feel the world needs to be a part of their faith tradition.

The folks on the receiving end are all of us who are either non religious or are part of the minority religions.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
It's not. But some people just never grok that concept.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM

465 posts, read 528,513 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Because I don't want to hear about your religious story, or I don't believe it, I'm intolerant.

What's funny is that I found out that when christians scream tolerance, what they really mean is they want everyone to convert to their religion, or they want to keep other religions out. They want prayer in schools and they want people to be "tolerant", but will protest if yoga were being taught, or Buddhists type of prayer were being said.

It's always this type of persecution complex that they bring on themselves.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
I have a room mate who is an atheist.

Is it too much to ask HER to keep her opinions on religion to herself? I don't bring up my views with her, I don't feel like listening to her demonize Catholics, or complain how Christmas was stolen from the pagans again this year.

EDIT: Neither one of us puts up a tree or exchanges gifts.

So atheists can be just as vocal with their opinions on religion, but I guess that's okay, right? Free speech and all?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM

465 posts, read 528,513 times

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Except, if you actually understood the context, mercury got one waved in her faced and slaps them all i.e.: some Christian denominations try to "sell" their religions and now all Christians are bashed. Do you understand now?
Really? Where am I bashing all christians? Oh right, I'm not. You just enjoy wallowing in your martyr complex so much that you need a handy excuse to do so.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It isn't the book that makes a person a Christian, however. I've never looked at that book, never felt the need.
That's worth repeating.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM

44 posts, read 33,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Exactly!

Because I don't want to hear about your religious story, or I don't believe it, I'm intolerant.

What's funny is that I found out that when christians scream tolerance, what they really mean is they want everyone to convert to their religion, or they want to keep other religions out. They want prayer in schools and they want people to be "tolerant", but will protest if yoga were being taught, or Buddhists type of prayer were being said.

It's always this type of persecution complex that they bring on themselves.
You missed the point. Not all Christians are how "Christians" are described on here, so when "Christianity" is bashed on here (and for good reasons at times), the aim is at all Christians when many of us view the "selling" of religions as annoying as everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality