Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Those who are not asking are not ready to receive. On the same token I'm not going to run around to peoples cars and homes passing out 100 dollar bills either. They didn't ask for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Maybe those who are not asking are happy in their beliefs or non beliefs. You see that is the whole issue. We don't need Christianity or Jesus. I won't speak for anyone here but I love where I am and I don't need to be where you are and just because I don't ask doesn't mean I am "not ready to receive".
In that case, you won't be looking at me, or to me, for what you wish to receive.

If there is a technical situation that one thinks I have knowledge of that will help, the question will be specific, but the asking has already taken place, and again, the person will not be asking me anything.

That person will have already seen Christ in their heart or not at all....

ps, the point I am trying to make is I don't have to do anything, unless asked to do. Most people know this. Some don't.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 10-07-2010 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: html and quote margins

Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
[quote=actonbell;16178036]
Quote:
In that case, you won't be looking at me, or to me, for what you wish to receive.

If there is a technical situation that one thinks I have knowledge of that will help, the question will be specific, but the asking has already taken place, and again, the person will not be asking me anything.

That person will have already seen Christ in their heart.

This is what bothers me the most is the whole idea that Christ is the be all and end all to what we need.

It makes me have to fight the whole thought that somehow they are praying for me to see the light and find Jesus.

It is so paternalistic in some ways.

I don't need to receive anything. I already have..

and I bet others have this view too... They are where they want to be...

Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
[quote=Jazzymom;16177948]
Quote:
Those who are not asking are not ready to receive. On the same token I'm not going to run around to peoples cars and homes passing out 100 dollar bills either. They didn't ask for the help.

Maybe those who are not asking are happy in their beliefs or non beliefs. You see that is the whole issue. We don't need Christianity or Jesus. I won't speak for anyone here but I love where I am and I don't need to be where you are and just because I don't ask doesn't mean I am "not ready to receive".
I think you have more agreement with her than you know. She won't talk about it around you unless you specifically ask her. I'm the same way...and even then I may not want to talk about it. It's very personal, and subjective. If it's something you want, then you'll find it. If you haven't found it, you don't want it--and that's fine.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:

"Ask and you shall receive."

I've told my kids, the choice is up to them. They have the knowledge, but the choice is up to them.

My granddaughter has a children's Bible that I bought for her this last birthday. My daughter she reads it to her and allows my granddaughter to pray at the evening meals and she says a prayer before she goes to bed.

My daughter does this, because I taught her, we all have choices. She continues to teach that which I taught her.

My daughter told me, without that knowledge her daughter can not make that choice.

Christ is not interested in the same things that people label they are interested in. When people figure that out, then they are their way to understanding, people did this, it was their choice.

PS: to believe or to not believe, that is the choice.
actonbell, I mean you no disrespect and you are entitled to believe as you do but I ask you to think about the process in which you gave your daughter and granddaughter their choice, I'm not saying you did anything wrong because it was what you were taught and in the same respect you taught your daughter as you were taught and your daughter taught her daughter the same and by that there was no choice unless they were also taught about other different religious beliefs, you see you were not given a choice because you were taught a specific way by your parents and yes you accepted it, but you did the same for your daughter and so on, so as you can see there was no real choice unless you were taught about other religious beliefs.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times
[quote=actonbell;16178036]In that case, you won't be looking at me, or to me, for what you wish to receive.

That person will have already seen Christ in their heart.

This is what bothers me the most is the whole idea that Christ is the be all and end all to what we need.

It makes me have to fight the whole thought that somehow they are praying for me to see the light and find Jesus.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:

"Ask and you shall receive."

I've told my kids, the choice is up to them. They have the knowledge, but the choice is up to them.

My granddaughter has a children's Bible that I bought for her this last birthday. My daughter she reads it to her and allows my granddaughter to pray at the evening meals and she says a prayer before she goes to bed.

My daughter does this, because I taught her, we all have choices. She continues to teach that which I taught her.

My daughter told me, without that knowledge her daughter can not make that choice.

Christ is not interested in the same things that people label they are interested in. When people figure that out, then they are their way to understanding, people did this, it was their choice.

PS: to believe or to not believe, that is the choice.
You said that if someone came to your house that you would teach them about Christ, you didnt mention they had to ask to receive the information. So it made me wonder if you would just dole it out without being asked. Would you?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Quote:

Exactly. I don't need or want anyone praying for me. I'm an 'incorrigible' atheist. I 'saw the light' after being raised as a Protestant and converting to Catholicism. I've heard all the "good news" that I can stand.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The American Atheists used to protest things. PZ Myers desecrated the Eucharist to make some kind of point. Although atheists are rarely Communists, Communists are generally atheists and they are active in protests.

However in the US atheists are maybe 5% of the population. They also lack a central organization. However if you can get an organized group of atheists they probably would protest as much as anyone.
Yes we would, about our rights being violated and to counter protest the people protesting who are just pushing their beliefs onto others.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:

I edited my post and added the ps... and I have to leave, should have left for work a bit ago.

The op says there is a difference and there is a difference. People can not put all people within a group into a box. We do not all fit in that box. (It's like you over there, in the box) ~i shake my head~

And just as I see the difference in how Christianity is being conveyed, I know when the one doing the conveying truly understands that which they are trying to accomplish.

If some one (I've thought about this) came up to me and said, your life to answer this correctly...are you a Christian? I'd have a tough time saying, yes. In fact I'd say, no.

If the question was, do you believe in Jesus Christ and that He came here and died so that all men can have eternal life? The answer is yes.

But there is more to that and I know this...

I just know that unless a person comes up to me and asks me...I'm not telling squat. Because they really don't want to know what I have.

How my granddaughter has learned of Christ and prayers, I have not a clue how. However, that which is in my daughters heart to let her pursue that, I do know, because that is what I taught my daughter in how to be. Open! Give to oneself, all choices and possibilities one can handle in a life time and be happy.

I must remind, we are talking about the spiritual aspects of self. Yes, they intertwine with our physical selves, but one must recognize both sides of the equation for balance.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You said that if someone came to your house that you would teach them about Christ, you didnt mention they had to ask to receive the information. So it made me wonder if you would just dole it out without being asked. Would you?
If you are at my house, you are at my mercy. And by the way, I have done this and it went well. They left with something to think about.
It depends, on this forum, it is opinion, belief based writing, so yes, I won't deny my beliefs and I will let the posters know what those are, just as they will let me know theirs. Besides, isn't that what all this is about anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality