Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM

44 posts, read 33,250 times

Advertisements

This is a 100% serious question. It seems that some of you go to no end (even troll) to bash Christians, but the same animousity doesn't exist for any other religion, in particular Judaism. I've seen posts where people say how they hate seeing the manger up in public places, yet they never mention the menorah. I find this obvious focused hatred quite odd and would like to know what that is.

Is it because many of the vocal atheists were once Christians, so they attack what they know?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
I know many Jewish people. They are the last to shove their views and religion in my face or others they never try to convert me, nor go door to door. They do not tell me I am a sinner and going to hell. They do not judge and have no issues with my atheism. Unlike the majority of the Christians I know.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Well, they don't go after Buddhism or Confucianism or Taoism because there is no "God" figure involved. Why they aren't complaining just as fervently against Hindus, Muslims, Jews, or the Amish, I have no idea.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM

223 posts, read 268,952 times
I was going to say just that Nea, I haven't met any evangelical Jews.

Moreover, I haven't met any Jews that follow a book without understanding any of the history as to the compilation of that book, or the historical context and language in which it is founded.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I can give my personal opinion on the subject, but this is in no way representative of all Atheists/non-believers.

I have a few Jew friends. I also have a few Muslim, Hindi, Sikh, Atheist, Agnostic and Christian friends among others. I find that the Christians tend to play the victim role and try their damndest to convert anyone they can. Not too long ago, the site next to one of my favorite restaurants was turned into a Christian book store. Now, they have 3 in my little town... and I got so sick and tired of the evangelizing outside that I stopped going to the restaurant. I have NEVER ONCE been accosted by a Jew demanding I convert to their religion.

So that's my opinion. Christians put themselves out there more and are a lot more irritating than most of the other people I encounter who are religious. My best friend is a Jew and she couldn't care less if I converted.... in fact, she probably prefer I didn't

Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
Is it because many of the vocal atheists were once Christians, so they attack what they know?
You've been here about as long as a fart on a windy day, you have no idea. Go read some of the muslim threads.

That said, when was the last time a Jew came knocking on your door trying to 'save' you? I have issues with Judaism too, especially with how Israel can seemingly do no wrong and hides behind the USA all the time. But the Jews here don't tell me I'm going to burn in hell or that I'm a worthless waste of human meat.

When was the last time a Buddhist came to your door? A Hindu? A Taoist? A Shintoist? A Wiccan? Yeah, didn't think so.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
The only religions I protest against are the pushy ones and the bigoted intolerant ones...Some Christians (not all) and Muslims...have you not read any of the Muslim threads...If you had you wouldn't be saying that only Christians get "bashed"....Let me guess, Bigblue...You are a Christian, right?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM

44 posts, read 33,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You've been here about as long as a fart on a windy day, you have no idea. Go read some of the muslim threads.

That said, when was the last time a Jew came knocking on your door trying to 'save' you? I have issues with Judaism too, especially with how Israel can seemingly do no wrong and hides behind the USA all the time. But the Jews here don't tell me I'm going to burn in hell or that I'm a worthless waste of human meat.

When was the last time a Buddhist came to your door? A Hindu? A Taoist? A Shintoist? A Wiccan? Yeah, didn't think so.
I haven't had a Christian come to my door either. I've never been told I'm going to hell or anyone who isn't Christian is going to hell. I have, however, experienced first hand some Jewish ethnocentrism. However I don't judge a religion, I judge the person. I just find it interesting that people's opinions here are that Christians are so bad and nobody else is.

Maybe it's a product of where I live? (northeast)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
I haven't had a Christian come to my door either. I've never been told I'm going to hell or anyone who isn't Christian is going to hell. I have, however, experienced first hand some Jewish ethnocentrism. However I don't judge a religion, I judge the person. I just find it interesting that people's opinions here are that Christians are so bad and nobody else is.

Maybe it's a product of where I live? (northeast)
Again, you haven't been here long enough to know what's going on. We don't think all or even most christians are "bad" and that nobody else is. Go do some intensive reading here for a few weeks in order to get a handle on the atmosphere before you start complaining about how unfair we are.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:

Maybe it's a product of where I live?
(northeast)
Probably more a product of selective reading me thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality