Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:13 AM

44 posts, read 33,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Again, you haven't been here long enough to know what's going on. We don't think all or even most christians are "bad" and that nobody else is. Go do some intensive reading here for a few weeks in order to get a handle on the atmosphere before you start complaining about how unfair we are.
Where did I do that?

I think the simple fact is many of you aren't intelligent enough or educated enough to understand that their are different denominations within Christianity, so you paint all religions under the Christianity umbrella with one stroke. Shame on you.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Probably more a product of selective reading me thinks.
Reading comprehension is key, you totally missed the point of the post to which you replied.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
BigBlue: it's like I mentioned to you on the other thread. The Fundamentalist/Evangelical crowd has come to represent "Christian" in many people's minds. Those people are hell-bent (pun intended) to convert everyone else to their way. They insist that they are the only ones who are right, everyone else is wrong and demon influenced, fly in the face of logic and scientific discovery by stubbornly sticking to biblical literalism despite all the evidence to the contrary, and by-god you better come around to their way of belief or else. There are even some Fundamentalist/Evangelical individuals who have gone as far to say that Jews do not understand their own scriptures, are lost, have been cut off from Creator and god no longer recognizes them. Naturally, this is going to elicit a response.

This behavior has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of many non-Christians toward the faith as a whole. I would submit that if you read more posts here, you will see that Muslims who display the same behavior receive like treatment. You will also find that most of the backlash, if you will, is aimed at Fundamentalist/Evangelicals. You will also see that there are Christians that post here that we get along with quit well and discuss faith/no-faith matters in a manner of mutual respect though we disagree with each other.

JetJockey said it well when he mentioned the lack of proselytizing from Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, etc. The incessant and and often demeaning or threatening proselytization turns a lot of people off. Yet these people instead of understanding why the non-Christian doesn't like their tactics will say things like, "You are under the influence of demons" or "You obviously hate god and god will repay" and stuff like that.

Though I am not an atheist and am a non-Christian, I understand where they are coming from. I am not saying that it is right to paint all Christians as the pain-in-the-rear Fundamentlist/Evangelicals. I am merely trying to explain why this backlash sometimes occurs. Sometimes a Christian poster here is automatically assumed to be of the Fundamentalist/Evangelical variety. Again, not saying it's right, but it does happen.

Last edited by Fullback32; 10-07-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
Where did I do that?

I think the simple fact is many of you aren't intelligent enough or educated enough to understand that their are different denominations within Christianity, so you paint all religions under the Christianity umbrella with one stroke. Shame on you.
Okay, let me wipe away the tears of laughter before I respond...

...oh, never mind, it's a lost cause to try to make you see logic. You'll believe what you want to believe, and only see what you want to see.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
BigBlue: it's like I mentioned to you on the other thread. The Fundamentalist/Evangelical crowd has come to represent "Christian" in many people's minds. Those people are hell-bent (pun intended) to convert everyone else to their way. They insist that they are the only ones who are right, everyone else is wrong and demon influenced, fly in the face of logic and scientific discovery by stubbornly sticking to biblical literalism despite all the evidence to the contrary, and by-god you better come around to their way of belief or else. There are even some Fundamentalist/Evangelical individuals who have gone as far to say that Jews do not understand their own scriptures, are lost and have been cut off from Creator. Naturally, this is going to elicit a response.

This behavior has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of many non-Christians toward the faith as a whole. I would submit that if you read more posts here, you will see that Muslims who display the same behavior receive like treatment.

JetJockey said it well when he mentioned the lack of proselytizing from Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, etc. The incessant and and often demeaning or threatening proselytization turns a lot of people off. Yet these people instead of understanding why the non-Christian doesn't like their tactics will say things like, "You are under the influence of demons" or "You obviously hate god and god will repay" and stuff like that.

Though I am not an atheist, I am a non-Christian. Yet I understand where they are coming from. I am not saying that it is right to paint all Christians as the pain-in-the rear Fundamentlist/Evangelicals. I am merely trying to explain why this backlash sometimes occurs.
Thank you for the intelligent and non-confrontational answer. I appreciate the time you took to write this out. As an agnostic Christian (non-fundamentalist/non-evangelical), the stereotyping of Christians by many on this forum is disgusting and offensive. Thank you for providing some perspective.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The only religions I protest against are the pushy ones and the bigoted intolerant ones...Some Christians (not all) and Muslims...have you not read any of the Muslim threads...If you had you wouldn't be saying that only Christians get "bashed"....Let me guess, Bigblue...You are a Christian, right?
Jehovah's Witnesses aren't your typical Christians. I haven't seen anyone else as "in your face" as them.

I did see something rather odd to me, but my room mate says they weren't Jehovah's Witnesses. Two young men, on bicycles, both wearing white shirts with ties. I am certain they were proselytizing, spreading their word, but they've never actually accosted me. Perhaps they've come to my door--but since I never answer my door, I can't say for certain.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Okay, let me wipe away the tears of laughter before I respond...

...oh, never mind, it's a lost cause to try to make you see logic. You'll believe what you want to believe, and only see what you want to see.
Um, it's a well documented fact that Christianity has many denominations that vary in significant and insignificant ways. Wipe your tears all you want, but your bigot views are disgusting any way you slice it.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
BigBlue: it's like I mentioned to you on the other thread. The Fundamentalist/Evangelical crowd has come to represent "Christian" in many people's minds. Those people are hell-bent (pun intended) to convert everyone else to their way. They insist that they are the only ones who are right, everyone else is wrong and demon influenced, fly in the face of logic and scientific discovery by stubbornly sticking to biblical literalism despite all the evidence to the contrary, and by-god you better come around to their way of belief or else. There are even some Fundamentalist/Evangelical individuals who have gone as far to say that Jews do not understand their own scriptures, are lost and have been cut off from Creator. Naturally, this is going to elicit a response.

This behavior has left a very bitter taste in the mouths of many non-Christians toward the faith as a whole. I would submit that if you read more posts here, you will see that Muslims who display the same behavior receive like treatment. You will also find that most of the backlash, if you will, is aimed at Fundamentalist/Evangelicals. You will see that there are Christians that post here that we get along with quit well and discuss faith/no-faith matters in a manner of mutual respect though we disagree with each other.

Though I am not an atheist, I am a non-Christian. Yet I understand where they are coming from. I am not saying that it is right to paint all Christians as the pain-in-the rear Fundamentlist/Evangelicals. I am merely trying to explain why this backlash sometimes occurs.
This post was very accurate, and thank you. I am Christian--Episcopalian. The emphasis is on self-examination and on how one lives his or her life, not on what others say or do. We do not worship the bible itself, which some Christian sects do, nor do we believe it is some magical, infallible object. We don't believe we are the only "right" religion or form of Christianity, and we also believe that God gave us the ability to reason, and that we should use that ability.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
Um, it's a well documented fact that Christianity has many denominations that vary in significant and insignificant ways. Wipe your tears all you want, but your bigot views are disgusting any way you slice it.
Have you actually read any of the bigoted hateful posts by some of the Christians here? I suggest you wander over to the Christianity forum and read any thread that has the word homosexual or gay in the op.

Many Christians here are just fine...It is the fundamentalist bigots that draw my fire.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses aren't your typical Christians. I haven't seen anyone else as "in your face" as them.

I did see something rather odd to me, but my room mate says they weren't Jehovah's Witnesses. Two young men, on bicycles, both wearing white shirts with ties. I am certain they were proselytizing, spreading their word, but they've never actually accosted me. Perhaps they've come to my door--but since I never answer my door, I can't say for certain.
Could have been Mormons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality