Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM

118 posts, read 111,205 times

Advertisements

Dr. Hawking oversteps his bounds. Science cannot give us answers to everything in life, and Hawking is essentially practing a type of Scientism, not SCIENCE.

It really is sad how so many think science and religion are at odds. It's not either/or. There are scores of brilliant scientists that also claim to be theists. Something like this is just meant to stir the pot. He opens his book essentially stating philosophy is dead, and then goes on to write an entire book regarding the philosophy of science.

Last edited by Baylorguy; 05-21-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 10:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
Hawking is a fool
Irony is ironic.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
I have to say I completely agree with Mr. Hawking. I'm sure a lot of the religionists here are upset and say he's "unqualified" to give this opinion. However I'm sure if a preacher, a priest, a rabbi, or the Pope ventured into a scientific opinion you'd all applaud that.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Well he will find out when he dies....and he smells something burning

Old 05-21-2011, 11:02 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
God confirms this man is a fool. God created the heavens and the Earth and all life on it. Yet this man, this puny human being, with his limited knowledge of the Earth and one who did not create himself, claims he did not. God says this man and you are fools.

Some of the most intelligent men of the past have gone to Hell and will never see the light of day again. Just because they rejected Jesus Christ as their savior. And that's exactly what's going to happen to most of these scientist that you put on a pedastool. Don't think just because they had a little bit of shine in the past 20-30 years that it's somehow gonna change their eternal destiny once death comes knocking on their door. The one thing your "most intelligent man on the planet" has yet to figure out is death. Because of his rejection of the knowledge of truth in the holy Bible, he had deluded himself into thinking there is no life after death. Which is highly ignorant because how the HELL could he confirm what happens after death when he has yet to experience it? At least Christians have NDEs and OBE's to confirm what God told us about the afterlife. Millions across the world have experienced and documented them. He's got nothing but his own notions about what he thinks happens. And what's going to happen is that he's going to go on to eternal torment in Hell if he does not repent. You really think this physical world and life is all that there is?! Think again Sherlock. You and all your atheist comrade will be facing your spiritual reality someday and there will no more big talk to talk against God and Jesus and Christians ever again. Don't think your day isn't coming.
In other words, the thinkers who spend their lives seeking the truth will burn forever because they based their conclusions on evidence and rational thinking rather than blind faith. Sounds like your god is more like a maniacal sadistic fruitcake. Hawking, like many other scientists are accurate in saying there is no afterlife. We actually enjoy life and are able to pursue science and philosophy without being imprisoned by primitive religious beliefs.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Don't think your day isn't coming.
Go drink your kool-aid.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:27 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Well, then I'd say that it is safe to assume that those who claim to understand the Bible and do not have critical thinking skills probably do not understand the Bible. Personally, I would ignore such people. Something we learned in Catholic School, is that not everyone has the authority to speak on everything. Stephen Hawking, for example, has the authority to speak on Physics and such, but not world religion, while the Pope has the authority to speak on Catholicism, but not on Physics.
The Bible doesn't need critical thinking because it doesn't require it. That is unless you are studying it to try and understand the people who wrote it.

The Pope may understand protocols, and stories of religion well, but is no more an expert in God than Stephen Hawking or myself.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 AM

118 posts, read 111,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I have to say I completely agree with Mr. Hawking. I'm sure a lot of the religionists here are upset and say he's "unqualified" to give this opinion. However I'm sure if a preacher, a priest, a rabbi, or the Pope ventured into a scientific opinion you'd all applaud that.
I agree with you. I am among one of the "religionists," but I am a firm believer in only speaking on a matter you have a working knowledge of. Just as Science is limited, so theologians should also be careful of what they claim to have a working knowledge of. It is the idea that it is either Science OR God that I have a problem with.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:59 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
British scientist Stephen Hawking has branded heaven a "fairy story" for people afraid of the dark, in his latest dismissal of the concepts underpinning the world's religions.

Stephen Hawking dismisses idea of a universal creator, calls heaven a ‘fairy story’ | The Raw Story

Religion has made many shysters very rich. Affinity scams are a big and profitable business.

Google "Physics of Immortality".

There are lots of possibility for a so called afterlife that don't depend on religion. We may all be living in a simulation. If we are nothing more than data files, then the possibility exists that future civilizations will restore us from backups.

Google "Holographic Universe".

Old 05-21-2011, 12:47 PM

591 posts, read 641,134 times
Spiritual info is transmitted and recieved through the Chakras. It is a media that deals with things that go way beyond the speed of light. Each Chakra deals with different aspects of the spirit, from one enlightened being to another, bringing the world together.

The internet is a one big Chakra. It is info transmitted and recieved at the speed of light. THe internet is the perfect metaphor for the realm of Heaven. The Buddha said that the concousness of the enlightened can travel from one side of the earth to the other in the time it takes to streach out your hand (or as I like to say, click a mouse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality