Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,972 times

Advertisements

Did Jesus utter the words in my humble layman's terms of course, "Fellas I want you to do some writing about me and when you're done I want you to call this "The New Testament." I cannot recall anywhere in The Bible where Jesus said this or any thing like this. So no Jesus didn't literally say this.

Jesus is my personal Savior so I won't go into extolling his virtues and what it means to me and all that believe. The question was posed and I gave my answer. Amen
Spiritwalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 AM

264 posts, read 694,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
We always hear, Jesus said this and Jesus said that in the Bible. But did Jesus ever actually direct his follows to write the New Testament or write down his words? Did Jesus have any inclination that these New Testaments were even being written about his life? If the answer to these questions are no...then his followers would have been operating and writting books of their own volitions and not by the direction of God or Jesus.

Is this a possibility? True? False?
There's no record of Jesus ever having given any such instructions to his disciples, nor even a suggestion that they do it. The earliest extant writing to mention him is probably Diadache, which was discovered in the nineteenth century. It's not known exactly when it was written, but it most likely predates the gospels. Didache consists almost entirely of the sayings of Jesus. It is stern and simple, and there is no mention of anything miraculous in it.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
I'm not somewhere I can easily research it but there is a scripture where Jesus tells his disciples that the Holy Spirit will bring back to remembrance the words He spoke to them. He didn't say specifically but I think it could be inferred that this might be so they could record them.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
If you will notice, Jesus said things over and over and over again (hence the FOUR Gospels). I think if He cared whether His teachings were written down He would probably have stressed that point over and over to his disciples. His main point was to LIVE them, be in the moment and be ever mindful of them.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,622 times
His small group of twelve was being trained to carry on the witness and work of Jesus after He was gone. They were given a place of special importance in the furthering of His work (Mark 3:14-15). Thus, He taught them with clarity while often teaching the crowds in parables (Mark 4:34). He sent them as the Father had sent Him (John 20:21) so they would be witnesses of "all these things" (Luke 24:48). Both the Spirit and the apostles would be witnesses for Christ (John 15:26ff; cf. Acts 5:32). He promised to send the Spirit to help them when He left. They would be empowered to bear witness (Acts. 1:4,5,8). The Spirit would give them the right things to say when brought to trial (Matt. 10:19ff). He would remind them of what Jesus had said (John 14:26) and would give them new knowledge (John 16:12ff).

Jhn 14:25¶These things have I spoken unto you, being [yet] present with you.
Jhn 14:26
But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,592 times
Quote:
I a literal non-spiritual question and you provided me with a spiritual answer. Therefore, since I asked a literal or non-spirictual question the corresponding literal (non-spiritual) answer would have been a simple: No.
no need to get get testy
actually I guess seeing as Jesus DID tell his apostles to go out and spread the news
text would be a way of doing that
Now... did Jesus tell them specifically to write it down mmmm... probably not
because he knew that they were in a deep pile of dookie just for being associated with him

so i hope this answers the questions you seek

In a way ...yes
specifically...probably not

Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Good question. If I may take it one step further, why would an omnipotent creator use humans to write his word in the first place? The Ten Commandments came directly from God. Why not the Bible? Seems suspicious to me.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 PM

15 posts, read 36,415 times
Quote:
I a literal non-spiritual question and you provided me with a spiritual answer. Therefore, since I asked a literal or non-spirictual question the corresponding literal (non-spiritual) answer would have been a simple: No.
Are you assuming that the answer is 'no' because no one here has offered support to the contrary or did you know the answer before asking the question?

Eric

Old 10-07-2007, 10:07 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post

did Jesus tell them specifically to write it down mmmm... probably not
Oral tradtion.

With all due respect, it's my understanding that those associated with Jesus, (apostles, disciples) were unable to either read or write, which given the times and the culture, would not have been all that unusual...And that the New Testament was comprised nearly 100+ years after Jesus died.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
So, please tell me where in the Bible Jesus himself made such statements in plain english.
As far as I know, He never said "Hey, that sounds great, write that down."

But He did show much value to the words He was saying, causing those that came after Him to see the value in recording His words for those that would follow.....(all emphasis mine)

For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. John 3:34

So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers. John 4:40-41

The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. John 6:63

"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve.

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:67-69

"As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. John 12:47-49

Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

"All this I have spoken while still with you. John 14:23-25

If I had seen what the disciples saw. Been through what they had been through. After looking at all those verses, seeing the miracles and seeing my Risen King after His death, I wouldn't need to be told to write them down. I had already been told they were God's Words "These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality