Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Oh yes, a spirit can think on its own, its the spirit that is consciousness, in my view.
But do you accept something not grounded in reality to be a part of your view? It begs the old question again, why doesn't a spirit choose to stay in a body that has ceased its bodily functions? Lets say that a murder victim was drowned to death. Why must the spirit choose to leave the body and, technically, help accomplish the task the murderer intended to begin with?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,592,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But do you accept something not grounded in reality to be a part of your view? It begs the old question again, why doesn't a spirit choose to stay in a body that has ceased its bodily functions? Lets say that a murder victim was drowned to death. Why must the spirit choose to leave the body and, technically, help accomplish the task the murderer intended to begin with?

It not grounded in your reality, its defintely grounded in mine.

And God makes one appointment for a human with death, nothing can stop that. And God likes to keep the spirits of dead humans in his appointed place, not in a dead body. Spirits are not maggots.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
It not grounded in your reality, its defintely grounded in mine.
You've already told that it is grounded in your reality (and you may stop worrying about mine, because if I feel it would help make for a discussion, I would mention mine). I had asked if your view requires something to be grounded in reality, or you are okay with taking anything at face value as long as it works with your beliefs.

Quote:
And God makes one appointment for a human with death, nothing can stop that. And God likes to keep the spirits of dead humans in his appointed place, not in a dead body. Spirits are not maggots.
That would imply that the murderer was doing what God intended. The murderer wanted the person to die. And if the person were wrong in doing so, and the spirit could think on its own, and God disagreed with (what we see as a heinous crime), you would think that the spirit could refuse to leave the body and the victim would be alive? Something about that doesn't sit well with me. What do you think?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

That would imply that the murderer was doing what God intended. The murderer wanted the person to die. And if the person were wrong in doing so, and the spirit could think on its own, and God disagreed with (what we see as a heinous crime), you would think that the spirit could refuse to leave the body and the victim would be alive? Something about that doesn't sit well with me. What do you think?

I think human death is meaningless to God, death itself is meaningless to him. God is life, and he knows that he will give the murdered human life again, at far greater levels than before. It does not matter to him how they died, where they died, or what or who killed them. Its meaningless to him. God will one day eliminate death itself.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I think human death is meaningless to God, death itself is meaningless to him. God is life, and he knows that he will give the murdered human life again, at far greater levels than before. It does not matter to him how they died, where they died, or what or who killed them. Its meaningless to him. God will one day eliminate death itself.
In other words, murdering cannot be a sin in the eyes of God. Agreed?

Then we still haven't addressed a key point. Why is spirit obligated to leave when the body ceases to operate? Are bodily functions and spirit integral, or exclusive?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
In other words, murdering cannot be a sin in the eyes of God. Agreed?

Then we still haven't addressed a key point. Why is spirit obligated to leave when the body ceases to operate? Are bodily functions and spirit integral, or exclusive?

I think God views human to human murder as sin, and God uses sin quite often to his advantage. I think God views even the " Mere thought of killing someone, as a sin", but he will use those thoughts to his advantage.

Let me ask you a question; Why should a live spirit, stay in a dead body?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I think God views human to human murder as sin, and God uses sin quite often to his advantage. I think God views even the " Mere thought of killing someone, as a sin", but he will use those thoughts to his advantage.
But that contradicts your previous post:

I think human death is meaningless to God, death itself is meaningless to him. God is life, and he knows that he will give the murdered human life again, at far greater levels than before. It does not matter to him how they died, where they died, or what or who killed them. Its meaningless to him.

Why would it be a sin if God doesn't care?

Quote:
Let me ask you a question; Why should a live spirit, stay in a dead body?
Because if it were able to, it can choose to yet it NEVER happens. Take the murder victim for example. The murderer wants him dead. The victim wants to live (I assume you would view this as a view of the spirit). The murderer manages to stop critical bodily functions of the victim. A spirit that wanted to live, shouldn't leave because of that. But it appears to be utterly helpless and is gone... just what the murderer wanted to accomplish.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
But that contradicts your previous post:

I think human death is meaningless to God, death itself is meaningless to him. God is life, and he knows that he will give the murdered human life again, at far greater levels than before. It does not matter to him how they died, where they died, or what or who killed them. Its meaningless to him.

Why would it be a sin if God doesn't care? quote.

God does not care about a temporary physical human existance ending, because he designed it to end. Yet as lawgiver, he must make it a sin or humans will think they have a God given right to murder.

quote.
Because if it were able to, it can choose to yet it NEVER happens. Take the murder victim for example. The murderer wants him dead. The victim wants to live (I assume you would view this as a view of the spirit). The murderer manages to stop critical bodily functions of the victim. A spirit that wanted to live, shouldn't leave because of that. But it appears to be utterly helpless and is gone... just what the murderer wanted to accomplish.

The Spirit is under Gods control, even when God takes human life, the humans want to live. But the Spirit will do what God wants done, and leave when he says leave. Even though the spirit must leave, it does not die. Its never a question of the spirit wanting to live, it knows it will never die already. Which is one of the advantages of being a spirit filled believer in God, you know you will never die, no need to fear death. You understand your body must one day die, but never your spirit. Thats a heavy burden lifted from the human consciousness.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The Spirit is under Gods control, even when God takes human life, the humans want to live. But the Spirit will do what God wants done, and leave when he says leave.
Then God prefers the whims of the murderer. Always. And when you say humans "want to live", can I safely assume you're suggesting that humans are separate from the spirit that resides in them and that the spirit's thinking (which you claim happens) can conflict with the human thinking?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Mickiel,

The problem is that every aspect of consciousness is attributable to the brain.

For example, if some one destroys the part of your brain that controls long term memory, you simply wont remember any more. There is no spirit to help you remember if that part is the brain is dead.

So why would it be different after you are dead then it is when you are alive? How could long term memory be destroyed on a living person with brain damage, but suddenly a dead person would have memory?

The same is true with every other function of your brain. If a brain injury can cause you not to be able to speak while a live, for example, why would a person with a completely dead brain have speech?

You said you believe its the spirit that is consciousness, but if that were true why is consciousness so totally dependent upon the physical brain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality