Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
I know a church in Wilmington, DE you can go to. I don't know where you are, but if you want to know, let me know.
Well, I can see how my above post can be seen as a veiled attempt to find myself a church but...I am not gay and I don't go to church.

I don't particularly care where Christian churches are that accept gays or why they do, I'm just interested to know if any exist.

My main point: When I see an openly gay person wearing a cross or something, my first thought is: Wow, where do they go to church?
Christians usually feel that they "need" to go to church to be good Christians, so where does a gay guy go? As much as I dislike church, I always find it sad that a gay person might be relegated to an "alternative" church - what if they want a regular church?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,386 times
I didn't mean you, I meant for the guy who started this thread. I guess anyone interested really contact me. I'm an atheist, but first and foremost I think you should go somewhere that people won't attack you for being different, even if that means finding a church.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
[quote=WCRob;1428214]First, I honestly don't know if anyone is born gay. Do I BELIEVE they are? No. I think people might be born with a personality that contributes to them becoming gay. Mostly I think it is something that develops in someone, whether at a very young age, or showing up at a later period in life. But do I think someone can CHOOSE to be gay? No. Not in the truest definition of what it means to be gay. I believe straight people can choose to have gay sex, for whatever reason, but in that case I would not consider them to be gay. Being gay - well, sexual orientation, period - is more about the inner attraction to people on an emotional and psychological level - not simply because someone prefers sex with a particular gender.

Can you clarify this for me. It seems like you are saying that you don't believe people are either born gay or choose to be gay. Are you suggesting a third unknown alternative, or a combination of both genetics and choice?

Also, I am confused when you say that people are born with a personality that lends itself to being gay. This confuses me because you said that being gay is not a choice. In my experience having a personality that lends itself to certain things like say: additcive tendencies, messiness, cleanliness, violence, pacifism, etc. . . still require a choice on the part of the person. Either they choose to not accentuate those aspects of their personality or they choose to accentuate them. Sometimes they make the choice by not actually making a choice and taking that attitude of "it is what I am so why fight it." Can you help me understand what you mean when you say that you think it is a personality issue that contributes to being gay but that it isn't a choice?

Old 09-05-2007, 01:29 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Default Care to weigh in on this?

I have had this question in the Relationship Forum for a few days, but haven't gotten much response..

What I don't understand is why, for example, a gay woman would be attracted to a very masculine gay woman, but not to a man. Likewise, if a gay man is repulsed by a woman sexually, why would he be attracted to an effeminate male?

Of course, I realize there is a spectrum of types in either gay or straight relationships. What started me thinking was the other day I was at a museum where a lesbian couple was apparently having a tiff about something which is what drew my attention. I am not exagerating when I say that one of the women had done everything possible to pass as a man; butch squared. I just do not get why, if you're wired to be attracted to a female, you would want that female to look and act like a man.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george123 View Post
and so you can't be gay and a Christian
and so you have no standing to answer any questions about being a Christian
Hey - there you have it.
End of thread.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
if you are a christian you accept the bible as God's word
and you accept it as the truth
you can answer all the questions you want about being Gay but again you are only pretending to be a Christian.
You can't be a christian and judge others, either..And you can't be a christian and be so puffed up with pride that you mock someone with your great wisdom, then stick out your tongue like a two year old..

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-07-2007 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: fix quote

Old 09-05-2007, 02:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
Quote:
if you are a christian you accept the bible as God's word
and you accept it as the truth
you can answer all the questions you want about being Gay but again you are only pretending to be a Christian.
What about one who feels an attraction to the same gender, but does not act upon it? Homosexuality means orientation. Homosexual practice means something different than homosexual orientation.

Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-07-2007 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-05-2007, 04:35 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Hi all.....

First, I'm really sorry for the delay in responding to the above posts. I didn't get into the actual forums until just a few minutes ago after answering a bunch of PMs from people. So please know I'm not ignoring anyone.

Second, there's going to be a little more of a delay because I have to get away from the computer for a bit so I can take care of some things. But I WILL be back in to respond to people this evening......

Thanks.

And please, if anyone has other questions, fire away.....

Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
WCRob,

I'd like to hear your opinion-feedback on what I'm about to attempt to articulate. ( forgive my spelling, I'm addictd to spell check )

I'm of the belief that GOD is both matriarcle and patriarcle. However GOD is referred to in the masculine. My theory/belief is thus:

There are metaphors everywhere that affirm the relationship between the masculine and the feminine.

For example:
an acorn penetrating the soil of the earth to "bear fruit"
the male of the species penetrating the female to "bear fruit"
the HOLY SPIRIT penetrating Mary who bore the ultimate "fruit"
etc..etc..

One of my favorite passages in scripture from the book of the prophet Isaiah 55: 9-11 is ripe with metaphor, as are many other passages throughout scripture.

I believe there is a GOD given relationship between the penetrating character of the masculine and the "bearing" character of the feminine.

It is this belief that has helped form my opinion that homosexuality is not ordained by GOD.

I hope I made sense. I probably should have spent more time and thought with this, but it's getting late in my neck of the woods. And I'm spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON THIS COMPUTER. I think my wife is getting a little perturbed.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June applauds you from the bottom of her heart!!! We need you in this world, WCRob, and I am all for openness and understanding amongst ALL INDIVIDUALS. The vast divides that we set up between ourselves are simply unnecessary, in my humble June opinion.

A million thank you's for having it in your heart to start this thread!

With utmost sincerity and love,

Take gentle care!

-June
Thank you, June. With as much kindness as you show, we'll get you to come over to our side one day. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality