Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
The premise of religion is belief.

To "believe" in something you must feel it is true and right. Thus others who happen to believe something different are false and wrong.

What you are thus seeing within this and other related threads is a logical manifestation for any religious discussion in the context of tolerance.
Perfectly stated. If you actually believe something to be true, how can you believe something completely opposite to be true as well? "Believing others' beliefs to be wrong", and "tolerance" are two different things, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 02:40 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,952 times
Default endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
one thing that turns me off about organized religion is that there are so many different religions and churches and they don't seem to accept each other and even compete or badmouth each other. why is this so? i tend to believe in just one higher power but i'm wondering if most people believe in more than one? why is there so much intolerance of other religions? i thought god or jesus was all about love and brotherhood. maybe a good new religion could be based on just being human and not classifying yourself as baptist or evangelical christian or catholic or hindu. maybe all these religions could merge together like the new fad of hybrid designer dog breeding and the new hybrid religion could be called bapduchristolic (or something like that). somebody come up with a new hybrid religion name to make me laugh please!
whatever a person worships it is a god for her/himm. Money, family, sun moon, snakes, cows, you name it .But of course there is one and only one true God. The God of Abraham,Isaac and Jacob. Do not believe?Try and cry out to Him.I know of people who did not believe,but because they heard so much, they said: If you are real and the true One I need to know. Do not forget,do not say just God, Satan is decieving and for sure will try to pass himself as the true God.
Go to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
And Mike, sometimes, He is called The Almighty, Or The Lord. Or maybe those aren't acceptable Christian names?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:25 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
IMO, there is one god..People call Him different names, they have different ways of worshiping Him. They make up different stories about where He is, what He does and who He loves best. Sometimes they love Him so much that they want to change him into three Gods, but He is one god...

Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 AM

562 posts, read 659,741 times
Funny, I seem to recall reading in the Christian bible .... Yaweh said "Thou shalt have no other Gods before Me". Sounds to me like there's a few other Gods floating around out there. And, Yaweh is a Jealous God...

Why would Yaweh be JEALOUS, if there weren't some competition???

Old 09-30-2007, 12:50 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
one thing that turns me off about organized religion is that there are so many different religions and churches and they don't seem to accept each other and even compete or badmouth each other. why is this so? i tend to believe in just one higher power but i'm wondering if most people believe in more than one? why is there so much intolerance of other religions? i thought god or jesus was all about love and brotherhood. maybe a good new religion could be based on just being human and not classifying yourself as baptist or evangelical christian or catholic or hindu. maybe all these religions could merge together like the new fad of hybrid designer dog breeding and the new hybrid religion could be called bapduchristolic (or something like that). somebody come up with a new hybrid religion name to make me laugh please!
its a laugh but its a very hollow sound.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-30-2007, 02:54 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Yeah i do hate islam because it is pure evil but i do not hate the people decieved by it i hate what the kuran stands for and what is written in it but i love and care for the muslim people and have nothing against them.
First its, Quran. I find it funny you hate something I can tell you know nothing about. Heck You don't even know how to spell Quran correctly. I bet you have not even read the book, or studied it in any way. maybe you get your opinion from the Media, or your peers, or from your parents.. but I know you don't get it from any experience in the area of Islam, or the Quran, or from the Muslim people.

It must be hard to walk though life with closed eyes.

You need to school yourself.. start here: Qur'an - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2007, 03:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Since it is possible for man to worship anything, anything can become a god.
Religion and superstition are not that far apart, it is all about (personal) belief.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:49 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Yes Jesus said to love one another not to hate some one because there over religious belive does'int agree with yours you see when there are so many denominations who do love one another and push each other away this is causing division in GOD's knigdom and becomes about GOD but about people's own selfish belive's JESUS said to belive in him his word and to rependt and you will inherit eternal life so all these churches who say different are not of GOD.
Just so we're clear here, I want to point something out that I find to be a fundamental argument in the Christian faith, and it is plainly evident in your argument here.

I often hear from theists, mostly Christians, (I'm assuming because I come in contact with more Christians than other religions on a day to day basis) that Jesus says not to hate some one because of their religious beliefs. You can hate the sin but not the sinner and all that lovey dovey jazz. I've also heard the same thing: That is, it causes division in God's kingdom and again, all this other heavenly/hellish fantasy land storybook kingdom. What I'm getting at here, is if Jesus truly was the son of the Christian god, and he did indeed promote this thinking, than what is the logical reasoning behind spreading the word of Jesus? Did Jesus not say to spread the word of him? And yet, we are not supposed to cause divisions in God's kingdom by doing it? Well, you tell me how this works? In what capacity are you directed by Jesus to spread the word of Jesus to people of other faiths or non-faiths, and yet at the same time not cause division? Doesn't this make it utterly about man and not god in the end anyway? So I ask, to any Christian out there, is this just a misdirected thought process, and if so, why?

Old 12-24-2007, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,217 times
Smile in reply to other gods

in doing alot of research i believe that there are other gods even the Hebrew bible says so even jesus believed in a higher god.Jesus believed that the creator God was not the true god he was the demiruge a lower god. i suggest that you do your research before you state that the creator god was the only god. so are you saying the the creator god just appeared out of a puff of smoke i dont think so, someone had to give birth to him.yes i believe in a higher god. before i did my research i was terrified of going to hell but since im finding out true facts im not afriad anymore. A loving god doesnt send people to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality