Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 12:34 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
None of those suggest anything remotely close to us becoming Divine.
I agree. We might take on the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, and help us, but that doesn't take away the human side of us, and tendency to sin and screw up. We become better and improved, but we're still a long ways away from being flawless and perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 12:44 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! [Christ is Divine Love. Jesus became the “Christ” after his soul was fully transformed and at-one with God, therefore, becoming Divine. We may follow in Jesus' footsteps if it is our desire to do so.]

2 Peter 1:3-4 His Divine power has given us everything we need for a Godly life through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these, He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the Divine Nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. [Divine Nature having no sin.]

Galatians 5:16-17 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. [The Spirit means the Holy Spirit which delivers God’s Divine Love into our soul. The Holy Spirit is the highest energy of God’s soul. It isn’t a separate entity.]
Same with these scriptures. Your comments show you're grasping towards something that isn't there. If you want to make that jump, you have the right to do. But that's not how the majority of readers now, and over the years, have read them.

It's clear in the book of Acts, that those who took upon the spirit - including Peter and those who walked and lived with Jesus - still made errors and mistakes. They had their newfound grace and dwelling of the spirit, but also faced the same fumbling human that they were stuck in before. That's the struggle and challenge of the believers. God doesn't just wave his wand and make life perfect and easy.

Our efforts and diligence reflect our will and desire to improve ourselves, in the image of Christ. We'll never make it to godhood on this side of eternity, but God (and those around us) will see those whose "new life" is important to them, and he will be pleased. He wants our worship and efforts to improve ourselves and the world around us. He doesn't need - and apparently doesn't want - other gods. "There shall be no other god than me".

Old 10-11-2017, 01:29 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Same with these scriptures. Your comments show you're grasping towards something that isn't there. If you want to make that jump, you have the right to do. But that's not how the majority of readers now, and over the years, have read them.

It's clear in the book of Acts, that those who took upon the spirit - including Peter and those who walked and lived with Jesus - still made errors and mistakes. They had their newfound grace and dwelling of the spirit, but also faced the same fumbling human that they were stuck in before. That's the struggle and challenge of the believers. God doesn't just wave his wand and make life perfect and easy.

Our efforts and diligence reflect our will and desire to improve ourselves, in the image of Christ. We'll never make it to godhood on this side of eternity, but God (and those around us) will see those whose "new life" is important to them, and he will be pleased. He wants our worship and efforts to improve ourselves and the world around us. He doesn't need - and apparently doesn't want - other gods. "There shall be no other god than me".
I realize that and also that there are contradictions in the Bible, which Christians accept. Well, I just couldn't. It didn't (and still doesn't) make sense to me. From what I know, the Bible teaches about purification of our natural love, the love we are all born with. This is a noble thing, but it's extremely hard to accomplish because our natural love isn't strong enough to withstand the barrage of negativity and/or evil temptations that sometimes pop up in our lives.

Believe me, there's no magic wand here. Once this higher Divine Love finds a lodgment in our soul, it never leaves. And as we receive more and more of it, our soul expands as it's filling up. It's quite an amazing thing when you think about it. This is a lifelong process of soul development and we do see within ourselves incremental changes throughout the years. I've been receiving God's Divine Love for four decades. It doesn't come all at once. There are ebbs and flows depending upon our life's circumstances.

But it's to our spiritual advantage to learn that we may receive Divine Love (while God is still offering it to us) while we're still on this earth.

God is really so awesome... and we don't need more than one.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
I realize that and also that there are contradictions in the Bible, which Christians accept.
No. There really aren't. Never seen one that couldn't easily be explained.
Quote:

Well, I just couldn't. It didn't (and still doesn't) make sense to me. From what I know, the Bible teaches about purification of our natural love, the love we are all born with. This is a noble thing, but it's extremely hard to accomplish because our natural love isn't strong enough to withstand the barrage of negativity and/or evil temptations that sometimes pop up in our lives.

Believe me, there's no magic wand here. Once this higher Divine Love finds a lodgment in our soul, it never leaves. And as we receive more and more of it, our soul expands as it's filling up. It's quite an amazing thing when you think about it. This is a lifelong process of soul development and we do see within ourselves incremental changes throughout the years. I've been receiving God's Divine Love for four decades. It doesn't come all at once. There are ebbs and flows depending upon our life's circumstances.

But it's to our spiritual advantage to learn that we may receive Divine Love (while God is still offering it to us) while we're still on this earth.

God is really so awesome... and we don't need more than one.
I'd really suggest you go find a good Baptist Church. Southern Baptist, Baptist General, even American Baptist, or a run of the mill Baptist Church would do wonders for your understanding of Christianity. Or a Bible church. Or even a Calvary Chapel.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:20 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
None of those suggest anything remotely close to us becoming Divine.
Romans 8:16-17, 2 Peter 1:4, Revelation 2:26-27 and Revelation 3:21 do, though. Through these verses, we learn that, as children of God, we may also be His heirs, joint-heirs with Christ, even glorified with Him. We might partake of the nature of divinity and be allowed to sit with our Savior on His throne, to rule over the nations.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Romans 8:16-17,
Nothing there to suggest divinity. Sorry. It just doesn't. It says we will spend eternity in Heaven with Jesus. But we're not Gods.
Quote:

2 Peter 1:4,
Partakers of the divine nature does not suggest that we are gods. Again...sorry.
Quote:

Revelation 2:26-27 and Revelation 3:21 do, though.
Yes. We will serve God in the afterlife, as he rules the nations. But no--we will not be gods.
Quote:

Through these verses, we learn that, as children of God, we may also be His heirs, joint-heirs with Christ, even glorified with Him. We might partake of the nature of divinity and be allowed to sit with our Savior on His throne, to rule over the nations.
And to read into it that we are gods is heretical.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:54 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Nothing there to suggest divinity. Sorry. It just doesn't. It says we will spend eternity in Heaven with Jesus. But we're not Gods.

Partakers of the divine nature does not suggest that we are gods. Again...sorry.

Yes. We will serve God in the afterlife, as he rules the nations. But no--we will not be gods.

And to read into it that we are gods is heretical.
Well, as always, it's a matter of interpretation. And, like it or not, "heresy" is in the mind of the beholder. Finally, you don't need to keep apologizing as if your opinion is somehow going to crush my faith. I didn't expect you to agree with me, and I'm not even "sorry" you don't.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, as always, it's a matter of interpretation. And, like it or not, "heresy" is in the mind of the beholder. Finally, you don't need to keep apologizing as if your opinion is somehow going to crush my faith. I didn't expect you to agree with me, and I'm not even "sorry" you don't.
Gotcha. Let me know if you come up with a verse that says men can become Gods.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
So one's background in a religion is irrelevant to one's ability to speak about said religion?
Pretty much. Each person's experience is different, a granddaughter can only speak for herself. Being such a person gives her "facts/experiences" about her life, but not about what is the "correct interpretation" of Mormon doctrines. Was she some sort of leader to these people?

Old 10-11-2017, 03:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Gotcha. Let me know if you come up with a verse that says men can become Gods.
What is your definition of one of many "Gods," by the way? Wasn't Yahweh accidentally/naturally alone before time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality