Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM

23,166 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've never really thought too deeply on this subject but another post made me wonder why it's generally considered high-level heresy and even "of the devil" for men to even presume they can become gods?

So why is that? If god is the father and we are god's children, why would god not want us to grow up and be like him (i.e. like the Mormons believe)?

Just for the record, I think men are destined to become "gods"... through the power of science. One day, science and technology will allow humanity to do everything the biblical god is described as doing. There might not be a god today, but provided we don't do something stupid as a species and kill ourselves off, perhaps there will be.

Zechariah
"In that day the LORD will defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and the one who is feeble among them in that day will be like David, and the house of David will be like God, like the angel of the LORD before them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
Mormons Hope to Become Gods of Their Own Worlds

this use Mormon sources and their own words
Meester-Chung, why would you recommend a known anti-Mormon website when I have provided a clear explanation of our theology regarding the doctrine of deification? What are you trying to accomplish? And why? What do you have to gain by posting a selection of out-of-context statements when the LDS Church has provided you with a much better discussion of its own doctrines?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:23 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,941,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Meester-Chung, why would you recommend a known anti-Mormon website when I have provided a clear explanation of our theology regarding the doctrine of deification? What are you trying to accomplish? And why? What do you have to gain by posting a selection of out-of-context statements when the LDS Church has provided you with a much better discussion of its own doctrines?
Joseph told the assembled Saints, “You have got to learn how to be a god yourself.”

this is from the LDS website

Old 10-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
Joseph told the assembled Saints, “You have got to learn how to be a god yourself.”

this is from the LDS website
Okay. So what? We obviously believe we can "become like God." Where we differ is in what this actually means and what it entails. And the link I provides explains this; the link you provided is just fodder for hate and misunderstanding. C.S. Lewis gave a pretty good summary himself, but I don't see you bashing the Anglican Church.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The author of that article is the great-great-granddaughter of Brigham Young. She has as much authority to speak of the Mormon church as anyone.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The author of that article is the great-great-granddaughter of Brigham Young. She has as much authority to speak of the Mormon church as anyone.
LOL! It's not a matter of authority. Anyone who has an opinion about Mormonism is free to speak his or her mind about it. The descendant of a former LDS leader has no more or less "authority" than anyone else. But when the Church has written an article for the express purpose of putting these various statements into context, explaining how they all fit into our theology, and attempting to clear up misunderstandings perpetuated by people like Sandra Tanner, there's really no real good reason to dismiss them -- unless, of course, you're just looking for another reason to hate Mormonism. (Tanner is full of them, by the way. It's how she and her late husband made their living.) In the end, it's all a matter of who you want to trust to give you an accurate explanation. Clearly, you've made your choice.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-04-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 12:52 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
You responded to a poster that suggested Mormons believed they could become gods.

Was he/she correct? Do you believe that?
Its pretty easy and straight forward, many people believe that any "immortal" is a god. The definition of "god" in that sense doesn't require worship by others. The same way, many Christians think that they become "more like God" when Yahweh/Jesus/Dove-Spirit lets them be immortal through cronyism and allegiance to heavenly fascism (although they would never want to call it that because it feels better to refuse to see "salvation-through-faith" for what it is). Where most Mormons go further, is that they believe their goodness Holy Spirit and "properly guiding" Bibliolatries purport that Yahweh offers all true Christians a rulership/caretaking of their own worlds (after judgment) for the glory of God (in order to actually try to do as Jesus-did, which I think is a command at some point from this character). Furthermore, if Christians are the body of Christ, then they are Christ and thus godly. In this way, Jesus' prophecies that his followers will do greater things than these [that he did, which was being a fully god fully man fully contradiction] will actually come true.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 10-05-2017 at 01:04 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 12:55 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Exactly as much authority as me or you... indeed.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:31 AM

23,166 posts, read 10,459,754 times
The ultimate goal and reward of the entire bible is to receive all the promises that the father gave the son, that the father will put everyone under your feet, and even you ALONE will rule every nation upon an earth in complete authority from inside all people upon an Earth.

Revelation 2
25But that which ye have already hold fast till I come. 26And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: 27And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. 28And I will give him the morning star. 29He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

What this means is that an overcomer receives all the prophesies that were spoken of Jesus that they would go down to an earth and die.

If there is two overcomers, then there MUST BE TWO EARTHS because this promise of ruling ALL THE NATIONS is a sole rule, a complete authority, and this rule is done within people as Adam is within everyone, and this is why Jesus came to be a New ADAM.

Jesus became the new Adam to those people who are able to overcome the old ADAM, and that is what you have to overcome to be an overcomer.

Just because Jesus came and was resurrected as a new Adam, this does not mean that the old Adam is suddenly not in you, Jesus was not born of Adam, BUT YOU WERE.

How does a person become an Adam, and the fact that Adam is a spirit within you, this should prove that the goal is actually to become an Adam, a spirit that is dwelling in the hearts of everyone on the planet.

Scientist say that if ONLY ONE IN A TRILLION EARTHS can have everything perfect to sustain life as this Earth, then just by the numbers and time passed, there would have to be over 4 billion Earths that already run it's course of millions of years and is now dead, and there must be trillions of Earth that have people living on those Earths in various stages of evolution.

To even understand 1 percent of the vastness of this universe is something so big that I can't even get my mind around how many planets there are in this universe and who is to say that this is the only verse?

Let us assume the obvious if we believe in God, that God's will is ever expanding just as we are shown an expending temple that becomes a city so big that fire becomes the walls of the city.

I think all God does is expand himself because we are told that there is only one spirit, and all God is, is a farmer who plants his seed and others come and they take care of the land and the harvest, and they continually expand the spirit of love, the spirit of God. This to me would be the obvious ways of God and intentions, to expend himself, and this is done with trillions of Earths full of people.

That the ultimate goal is to become a brethren of Christ, and it is said that many are called but few are chosen, I don't expect to reach such heights, but I earnestly believe that all God does is expand himself, and we aren't born to go to a heaven to sing praises to God, we are born to learn that we can do great works after we leave this earth, that we learn enough to become a priest, and a priest is a symbol of a male spirit just as the spirit of a priest would be in his flock through teaching, and as Paul said,'' You are still my children until Christ can be formed in you.''

We are trying to form Christ within us, and our ultimate goal is to receive all the promises that the father spoke to Jesus, and that we could also rule ALL THE NATIONS UPON AN EARTH IN A SOLE RULE.

Jesus was lain down in a sleep of death in order to create a bride from his own body, his side was pierced in a symbolic gesture of the side of Adam also being pierced.

Jesus being the New Adam just explains to us what the first Adam was, AND HOW HE ALSO GAVE HIS OWN LIFE TO OBTAIN A BRIDE FROM HIS OWN BODY.

The spirit of Adam is still within us, it is a fallen spirit but it IS an individual that is not you, just as Jesus becomes a new Adam, a new bridegroom to replace exactly what the first Adam is.

And if Adam ALSO GAVE HIS LIFE, AND A BRIDE WAS TAKEN FROM HIS OWN BODY, WHAT ELSE DOES IT SHOW OTHER THAN A BRETHREN OF CHRIST?

A sort of brethren that had the same purpose and came in the same way as Jesus didn't he?

I believe this universe has too many planets to count, and I believe that the entire function of this Earth is just to raise brethren of Christ who go down to other Earth to work, and that work never ends.

We are told of spiritual warfare, and we even saw a picture of Elisha actually seeing the army of the Lord when nobody else could see it, and the eyes of his servant were opened that he could see the army, and they had a unique purpose for being there.

It was the army of the Lord who went into every single person in the other army and closed their eyes, and blinded them.

Who are all these people in the army of the Lord, and who are all these people in the other armies and just how many are there out there?

TRILLIONS UPON TRILLIONS fighting spiritual warfare upon every single earth?

I guess I am through Rambling.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Exactly as much authority as me or you... indeed.
So one's background in a religion is irrelevant to one's ability to speak about said religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality