Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Exactly so. I never suggested that their writings should supersede scripture. But they are useful for historical purposes. They are useful in studying the evolution of Christian theology over the ages, and demonstrating that ideas most people believe to have originated in relatively modern times by "heretics" were actually taught by respected Christian leaders in the early centuries of Christianity. My point was merely that they apparently saw in the scriptures an indication that God planned to enable man to acquire attributes and qualities of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to eventually attain divinity. C.S. Lewis saw it, too, and nobody I've ever talked to considers him a heretic because of it.
Acquire attributes? No. But we are made righteous by Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Quote:
Exactly so. I never suggested that their writings should supersede scripture. But they are useful for historical purposes. They are useful in studying the evolution of Christian theology over the ages, and demonstrating that ideas most people believe to have originated in relatively modern times by "heretics" were actually taught by respected Christian leaders in the early centuries of Christianity. My point was merely that they apparently saw in the scriptures an indication that God planned to enable man to acquire attributes and qualities of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to eventually attain divinity. C.S. Lewis saw it, too, and nobody I've ever talked to considers him a heretic because of it.
Smart men...

Old 10-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Smart men...
It was the same sin that got Satan cast out of heaven. He thought he could be God.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It was the same sin that got Satan cast out of heaven. He thought he could be God.
Who? Just so you know, there has never been... and there never will be... an Angel cast out of Heaven. Once an Angel, always an Angel. The very fact of being an Angel, means "no sin."

So, therefore, the story about Satan is untrue. It was Adam and Eve, who by their own thoughts of superiority, determined they could be God. They were wrong and they suffered the consequences of their bad decision. No other entity was involved. There was no serpent. They did it to themselves.

Having "divinity" in your soul, doesn't make you a God. It means that you possess the attributes or qualities of soul which God has. This is God's gift to us to either accept or reject... Divine Love... Soul Love. If we desire immortality, then receiving Divine Love is a prerequisite.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Acquire attributes? No.
Perhaps you have no desire to do so, but to me, striving to acquire His many positive attributes is the highest honor we could possibly pay Him. He set a perfect example for us -- of love, charity, forgiveness, wisdom, loyalty, mercy, justice, compassion, honesty, etc. Why on earth would anyone not want to pattern their life after His and strive towards becoming like Him? And why on earth would God not want us to be as much like His Only Begotten Son as possible?

Quote:
But we are made righteous by Christ.
I can't comment until I understand what you mean by this. If you think that by having faith in Christ, you are suddenly transformed from an "unrighteous" person into a "righteous" one, I disagree. I believe that Jesus Christ imparts to each of us His grace, and that it is through this grace that we can become -- not without a great deal of effort on our part -- something much greater than we could ever even hope to become without that grace.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
The very fact of being an Angel, means "no sin."
Hmmm. I've never heard that one before. Could you provide some scriptural support for this concept?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
That's a great over-simplification of what actually happened, and it's also completely different from what the early Christian fathers and C.S. Lewis taught.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
That's a great over-simplification of what actually happened, and it's also completely different from what the early Christian fathers and C.S. Lewis taught.
C.S. Lewis was not inspired. Neither were the church fathers.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
C.S. Lewis was not inspired. Neither were the church fathers.
And you know this how? Because no one has been inspired after the deaths of the apostles or because their theology doesn't match up with yours? I think most Christians find C.S. Lewis to be quite inspired, to be perfectly honest. Did God whisper something in your ear that He didn't intend for the rest of the Christian world to know?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
And you know this how? Because no one has been inspired after the deaths of the apostles or because their theology doesn't match up with yours? I think most Christians find C.S. Lewis to be quite inspired, to be perfectly honest. Did God whisper something in your ear that He didn't intend for the rest of the Christian world to know?
Do you have them in your Scriptures? If not...better get them included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality