Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Interesting.
It seems that anointing with oil was/is associated with blessing - or endowment with higher power.
That's right; but 'higher power' did not always mean 'supernatural' power. Many kings were anointed with oils...priests too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 AM

874 posts, read 636,738 times
Quote:
I love Christ's teachings, & believe Christ was not Jesus' last name, but a consciousness he achieved & taught others to, not to worship him.
Christ = Messiah = Savior. So, it's: Jesus the Christ = Jesus the Messiah = Jesus the Savior

Ella

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
Christ = Messiah = Savior. So, it's: Jesus the Christ = Jesus the Messiah = Jesus the Savior

Ella
Already told her in post #60.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
A lot of good points.
I think, therefore I am... but I'm more than my thoughts... I feel - & that motives me in productive or destructive ways.
If a thought is too far from reality, reality has a way of slapping us to realize it.
On the other hand, if our thoughts are too focused to the grim reality, we get depressed & hopeless.
We need a mix of both reason... and passion, IMO.

Jesus, as Savior can and has been saving! Think about those who've suffered, like in slavery, and have found comfort and encouragement in believing that there's someone who suffered even more... and for them - because he loved them so very much. That is inspiring in productive ways.

I think when a belief in Jesus is dysfunctional is when he instead of God/Love/Truth is worshipped... as a scapegoat.
I also don't like the idea of human sacrifice and don't believe God/Love would have anything to do with that.
The only difference is ones motivation comes from the thought of "Jesus take the wheel", or as with me, "I better take the wheel" and make this better, escape this situation, or look for the positives and go from there. I should help others because we rely on each other and I can sympathize.

A misconception I run into often with others who believe is that life isn't full of passion, compassion, imagination, or hope for something better when you're an atheist. I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. We dream, we imagine, we take life seriously and sometimes not so seriously. We just don't justify actions with our imaginary thoughts. The good isn't God, the evil isn't Satan.

I sometimes imagine there is a creator but I don't imagine it to the point of walking around expecting something for you and me because of my vivid dreaming. Taking a belief, my thoughts into reality for all to adhere too could be dangerous, IMO. That is the only difference between you and me. I would need proof my thoughts were real to bless you, judge you or convict you. A God I simply "believe" in doesn't justify my actions nor yours.

Who knows what lies behind the curtain over the rainbow, it could be a God or it could've just been man pretending to be God and no God like being appears. I just admit I have no idea, that it's just me imagining how we got here or where we will be going. Its personal. Therefor, I'm just grateful for my existence without being grateful for what's coming before it does. To just exist is substantial to me. I can prove I exist. I can imagine why.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ROFL, I don't think ANYONE out there believes that "Christ" was Jesus's last name...but then again, you never know! That was funny, though.
It's just as humorous to me that someone might think Jesus The Christ is correct. But then again, you never know. It's a funny thought to see adults debate a heavenly creatures name and desires for them, IMO. Especially when those thoughts differ so much, down to what the Gods should correctly be called by name.
Trying to prove what others have thought when thought can change. It can be funny.

Sad though when people pretend to know what he desires from them and they become judgmental of others.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No debating with someones imagination is there. lol Just doesn't make it through, I've tried.

Will they be punished for it? That depends on others imagination I guess. Scary thought to say the least, it's happened before, no God needed humans seem to take care of it early.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Sorry. I had missed that. Gee, I guess great minds think alike.

Ella

Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's just as humorous to me that someone might think Jesus The Christ is correct. But then again, you never know.
The Bible says, "the Christ" a number of times. "Christ" comes from the Greek and means "anointed", in this case, anointed by God. God promised a messiah. The definition of messiah is "savior, redeemer, deliverer". The birth of Jesus brought forth "the Christ child". Therefore, Jesus is the Christ - the messiah, the savior. That is stated in the New Testament (NT) of the King James Version (KJV) of the Holy Bible.

Why does that seem humorous to you?
Quote:
It's a funny thought to see adults debate a heavenly creatures name and desires for them, IMO. Especially when those thoughts differ so much, down to what the Gods should correctly be called by name.
Trying to prove what others have thought when thought can change. It can be funny.
Again, you seem to have an odd sense of humor. Obviously, you don't believe in these entities and you haven't read the NT of the Bible in order to know what is it says. Yet you have spent a lot of time debating, drawing conclusions, and posting your opinions.

Why?

I really don't mean that to be as rude as it sounds. I do find it curious, though.
Quote:
Sad though when people pretend to know what he desires from them
It is not a pretense. That is why we have the book.
Quote:
and they become judgmental of others.
Would that be the jackass calling the donkey long-eared?

Ella

Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's not something I've thought that much about, but if Christians are wrong and Jesus was not God made flesh, and the Jews, Muslims.etc are correct, I wonder how God, assuming the God of the Bible/Torah/Quran still exists, will treat Christians? I'm not saying I worry too much about it, but for the first time I really thought about it today, imagine if Christianity was a Jewish/Roman cult? It's kind of scary to think, I don't want you to second guess your faith, but I guess it's what atheists have been saying all along.

I wonder if we'll be sent to the deepest depths of hell, or endure a painful destruction? Do you think he could be at all merciful?
GRACE - defined...."The UNDESERVED mercy of God" That should answer your question. Whether Christ was God in the flesh or not is not important- His message was profound and from a divine source...Perhaps his message may have been that we are all Christs and we are all God in part in the flesh? Religions are all cults..that is a given. GOD is not contained in a religion. Religious institutions have always been political institutions..they are man generated. As for hell and punishment by GOD...use your god given logic...We are mere germs...microbes less than ants in comparison to God...Would god punish and torment a poorly behaved microbe? Of course not - We are to be good because it makes life more livable.

"God rains on the wicked as well as the good" God does not play favorites nor does he coerce or punish or offer bribes if you are "good" In my life as I come closer to the end I do not hope for some great favor from God....I simply want him not to scare me and to show this poor wretch mercy....I sincerely believe he goes easy on all of us. There is not other hope but God in the end. YES I strongly believe he is pure power and within that merciful.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
The Bible says, "the Christ" a number of times. "Christ" comes from the Greek and means "anointed", in this case, anointed by God. God promised a messiah. The definition of messiah is "savior, redeemer, deliverer". The birth of Jesus brought forth "the Christ child". Therefore, Jesus is the Christ - the messiah, the savior. That is stated in the New Testament (NT) of the King James Version (KJV) of the Holy Bible.

Ella
That's cool Ella. Now all you have to do is provide verifiable, testable evidence that the New Testament of the King James Bible is true. Can you do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality