Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 09:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Maybe the Atheist's daughter is an atheist herself. Why attribute her actions on her relationship with her parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 AM

415 posts, read 611,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Why do they have to have this "moment of silence" in school?...Seems like a surreptitious way to try to endorse school prayer...
That's exactly what it was. The title of the law was "Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act." The mere suggestion of civil authority over prayer is a violation of Biblical and Constitutional principles.

Last edited by FlashTheCash; 02-16-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
This has nothing to do with being naive. It has to do with that dirty little word called compromise. An "all or nothing" mentality causes many problems, in situations like this.

A moment of silence does not equate a tent revival, no matter how you look at it.

Oh, but CelticLady, that would make too much sense for some people.

Really, you're going to have to stop it with the logic and the sense. I might have to have a moment of silence right here in my living room to reflect on how a topic can get so twisted by people with very little of either attribute.

(seriously though, I totally 100% agree with you!)

Old 02-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Public prayer is not a compromise.
It is illegal to use the time paid for by taxpayers for a religious prusuit.

Why do you want school children to wait until they are in school to pray? I would be lieve that good christian kids would be praying at home, the bus stop, after school, in the evening with their parents, etc.

What is so important about you spending my taxpayer dime on a religious function?

Mom2Feebs & CelticLady, feel the same way about abortion? Compromise?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
CHICAGO (AP) — A 14-year-old girl and her outspoken atheist father filed a federal lawsuit Friday challenging a new Illinois law requiring a brief period of prayer or reflective silence at the start of every school day.

Atheist's daughter fights moment-of-silence law - USATODAY.com

They're idiots, plain and simple. Reflecting in silence, just sitting still even for one minute, is a good way to just relax and get oneself ready for a good day. Too bad that these people can't see that. They must be very tortured souls whom I feel for. I wish them peace.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
My .02 but when did the govt have the right to tell me how to start my day? What if his daughter wants to spend that minute screaming.

For me this is much less a religious issue and more a govt meddling in our business issue.

How about this.. you want to pray or have a moment of silence.. get up 1 minute earlier every morning and spend it with your children..
You equate screaming in the same vein as peace and tranquility? For me, it doesn't matter whether or not the school starts with one minute of silence, but I AM really sick of those who have can't even let people have one minute of silence to either pray, reflect, or sleep, without taking it to court. Tolerance is required from all of us, not just some of us.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 AM

No one is stopping you from a moment of silence, or prayer. Just do it on your time.
Why push your beliefs on others.

Tolerance is required by christians, too. Keep religion and religious practices out of public education.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 AM

131 posts, read 312,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
School is for learning, not for praying. They should pray on their own time.
Dam right.

Im in my last year at school now, I moved schools about 2 years ago and in my last school they expected us to sing hyms in assembly and pray which i find Very offensive. (being an athiest-although so would any non christian seen as though it was all christian based, in a multi-racial school )

Old 02-17-2008, 07:57 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No one is stopping you from a moment of silence, or prayer. Just do it on your time.
Why push your beliefs on others.

Tolerance is required by christians, too. Keep religion and religious practices out of public education.
Who is pushing any beliefs?!? Your argument totally defies logic. What, do you not believe in silence? What you're saying is, hey, I'm a vegetarian. Why do they not have strictly vegan meals here at this school? Well, the answer is, because the majority of people in this country eat meat. But hey, we all voted as a GROUP (you know--your peers, people you elected to the school board?) and thought it would be good to offer not only meat, but vegan meals as well. Shoot, we're not just offering vegan meals, we're offering ovo-lacto meals, protein only meals, kosher meals, 100% fruit meals, dairy-free meals, and gluten-free meals. No one is forcing you to eat meat. It is there because it tastes good to most people.

Good grief. Sometimes, I truly think some people LIVE for threads like this. It really wouldn't matter what the topic was, as long as there is some iota of God in it, people come out with gloves on ready to do battle over it. What I love the most is when atheists, people who clearly have no belief in a higher power, try to use a Christian's beliefs against them in some sort of effort to undermine them.

People forget that it's Freedom OF religion....not Freedom FROM religion. People also see any excuse to pop in with separation of church and state when they really have no concept of what it means. This topic does NOT apply.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 AM

415 posts, read 611,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
People forget that it's Freedom OF religion....not Freedom FROM religion.
Freedom of religion includes freedom from any sort of civil government influence whatsoever over religion. The Illinois moment of prayer or silence law is an obvious attempt to influence the duty we owed to Creator and the methods of discharging it. The law violates Biblical and Constitutional principles.

Quote:
People also see any excuse to pop in with separation of church and state when they really have no concept of what it means.
Separation of church and state is just a phrase that means whatever the speaker intended it to mean. I try not to use the phrase myself. I prefer to say that the Constitution totally excluded (one might also say separated or exempted) religion from the cognizance of the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality