Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 PM

995 posts, read 956,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
If anyone wanted to kill anyone then any reason then settled on would be sufficient for them. It's not the book, it's the reader of it.
The Bible sanctioned the murder of Jesus. It is a capitol crime to walk the streets preaching of God in any other way than Moses's, and it is a capitol crime to work/heal on the Sabbath. If you need a reason, or you need God's approval, and political approval to kill someone, the Bible is there for you. Moses was a terrorist, and the Bible is the book of terrorism. Have you ever wondered how blood sacrifice rids of sin? Imagine a village of people where there is crime. If you were the leader of the people, and you publically murdered someone in the most horrible of ways in front of the entire community, proclaiming it to be a Godly thing they do, you will find the crime rate drop dramatically out of fear. That is the tactic of Moses and the Bible. Fear, intimidation, terrorism. It works. It "cleanses" the people of sin.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
The Bible sanctioned the murder of Jesus. It is a capitol crime to walk the streets preaching of God in any other way than Moses's, and it is a capitol crime to work/heal on the Sabbath. If you need a reason, or you need God's approval, and political approval to kill someone, the Bible is there for you. Moses was a terrorist, and the Bible is the book of terrorism. Have you ever wondered how blood sacrifice rids of sin? Imagine a village of people where there is crime. If you were the leader of the people, and you publically murdered someone in the most horrible of ways in front of the entire community, proclaiming it to be a Godly thing they do, you will find the crime rate drop dramatically out of fear. That is the tactic of Moses and the Bible. Fear, intimidation, terrorism. It works. It "cleanses" the people of sin.
really? The Bible did that? Because I could've sworn the Bible was put together years after Jesus.

You seem really sure on this information and so we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I know this is pretty inaccurate.

Last edited by Royalite; 05-17-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
really? The Bible did that? Because I could've sworn the Bible
was put together years after Jesus.
There were scriptures and Jewish boys studied and memorized them.
Not the King James Bible....that's prob what you're thinking of.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We won't want to. Personally, I believe God is sovereign. The Bible says that God predestines us and gives us the Grace to know him. Ultimately though, we all choose to sin--it's just that some of us are given the Grace to know him. I have no problem with the idea, but I find it interesting to see that someone else is whining about the fact that we get a choice.
As you avoided it first timee around I'll ask again.

If I create a faulty car and I know that it's faulty, then I give it to you and say that you have a choice whether or not you drive it; you decide to drive it and the fault that I was aware of, but you were not, causes a crash that kills you. Who do you think should be held responsible?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That's what grosses me out about how some of the more barbaric Christians make a big deal out of blood sacrifice - the killing of Christ seems to be their focus instead of the teachings of Christ.
It's because they belong to a 'blood cult' and blood cults just can't get enough blood.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

These posts present an utterly irrational set of premises that I simply cannot reconcile in any way. Can you untangle them for me? If God controls everything and is responsible for everything . . . How could human beings have any responsibility for anything? How can a predestined human being ever be guilty of what he is predestined for? Why would a predestined human being be punished for what he is predestined to do? In fact . . . How can a predestined human being have ANY choices at all?
Precisely!

Eph 1:4-5,11
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

Jeremiah 10:23
I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.

Romans 8:20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it

Romans 11:20
For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Psa 37:23
From Jehovah are the steps of a man, They have been prepared, And his way he desireth.

Jer 10:23
Yahweh, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.

Psalm 139:16

Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began.
So Viz, considering the above verses that clearly indicate the predestination and planning are the order of the day, would you please explain how we can make any free will decision that will change what your god has planned for you? How do you make a free will decision that might change what is "recorded in his book"???

Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Precisely!

Eph 1:4-5,11
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

Jeremiah 10:23
I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.

Romans 8:20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it

Romans 11:20
For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Psa 37:23
From Jehovah are the steps of a man, They have been prepared, And his way he desireth.

Jer 10:23
Yahweh, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.

Psalm 139:16

Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began.
So Viz, considering the above verses that clearly indicate the predestination and planning are the order of the day, would you please explain how we can make any free will decision that will change what your god has planned for you? How do you make a free will decision that might change what is "recorded in his book"???
And, because of these verses, we ALL are doing his god's will, including Hitler, Jeffrey Dahmer, and the 9/11 hijackers. This makes prayer irrelevant, unless one wants to admit that God makes mistakes and changes his mind according to our requests.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
There is a way around that of course. God can have factored in our free will decisions into His plan before we had even made them. Of course that still leaves the question of why such a cack - handed way of sorting the results was adopted and the 'God knows what He is doing' answer isn't very satisfactory.

And of course it doesn't address the problem that the Biblical record of how he went about it seems to be wrong, so I'll have to go with:

There was no plan.

There is no (Bible) God.

I don't know what those who have an 'experience' of god are getting but it sure isn't Biblegod. If only because others see it as their own particular god.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I don't believe in the Bible God...I never put it that way.
But, I will start.
Thank you for that clarity of words.

If I did believe that I was a puppet and God was such a terrible Being .wow...
But, I don't. Or rather my experiences of Him tell me differently.

(And I have had many Divine Visitations thoughout my life...I don't know why.)
So I can't HELP but know God as just immense Love within everything...very
Personal and also Impersonal...the Observer of everything...watching the movie...feeling all
the pain and romance and heartbreak and wars and triumphs and joy all together...

I wouldn't want to watch a romantic comedy for an Eternity...I'd want it ALL....the good, the bad and the ugly.
Esp if I knew the Big Picture....one thing being there is no death.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
This makes prayer irrelevant, unless one wants to admit that God makes mistakes and changes his mind according to our requests.
It would appear that he does...

"Then Moses pleaded with the Lord his God, and said: “Lord, why does Your wrath burn hot against Your people whom You have brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? Why should the Egyptians speak, and say, ‘He brought them out to harm them, to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your fierce wrath, and relent from this harm to Your people. Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven; and all this land that I have spoken of I give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever. So the Lord relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people."
Exodus 32:11-14

...and in the Book of Jonah we have a similar situation. The Hebrew war god Yahweh was going to destroy the people of Nineveh. They repented of their sins and God had mercy on them.

"Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that he had said he would bring upon them, and he did not do it "
Jonah 3:10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality