Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

That's what grosses me out about how some of the more barbaric Christians make a big deal out of blood sacrifice - the killing of Christ seems to be their focus instead of the teachings of Christ.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
As I see it a person has to understand, by the experience of Divine Love...different than natural or human love...
The immense capacity of forgiveness.
But even human love...when faced with, say, a partner that has strayed...forgives.
A child that has committed rape or a robbery or murder...is still loved by his/her mom.

When the criminal at Jesus' supposed right recognized him and asked for forgiveness...
What did Jesus say in that very instant? We all know.

This is love...to have loved so much that in an instant all is let go of and
dropped completely is to know real and true and pure love.

An easy task for He Who is Love and created Love.

I can do this when in love and I'm just little old me.
When you value love...you value love.
When you value conflict, ego, pride, being right..that is what you value.

When you understand love, forgiveness, peace, clarity above all else...you begin to know the very Nature
and Mind of God.

Miss Hepburn

Old 05-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That's what grosses me out about how some of the more barbaric
Christians make a big deal out of blood sacrifice
- the killing of Christ seems to be their focus instead of the teachings of Christ.
Got that right!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
That's what grosses me out about how some of the more barbaric Christians make a big deal out of blood sacrifice - the killing of Christ seems to be their focus instead of the teachings of Christ.
The OT way of sacrifices was extremely bloody and kind of gross. Think about it...they literally had to kill animals all the time. It was kind of disgusting.

But if you have a bloodless Christ, you have a powerless Christ. You might as well just follow Buddha or any other religious leader--because none of them have the key to forgiveness of sins. Such a Christ has nothing of substance to offer. I can get the same from pop psychology.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Got that right!!!
It is the Roman romantic version of Christianity. They depend heavily on virgin birth - rising from the dead...paying a divine ransom through blood sacrifice. This concept is much older than Christianity...it is similar to the scapegoat. The ancient tribe would gather with their priests who would supposedly take the sins of their people...mutter a spell - put the sins in the goat and then chase the goat off into the desert to die...thus taking the sins of the people away....It is simply superstition.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As I said--yes, God required animal sacrifices. The other religions copied it. But the sacrifice of Christ was the ultimate sacrifice that solved it once and for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Why?
We are waiting for your answer, pastor Vizio. Enlighten and inspire us.
Also . . . WHY would our Almighty, all-powerful God NEED humans to enforce His judgments and executions??? Is HE actually IMPOTENT??? I am curious about your answer to this as well, Vizio:
Quote:
Personally, I believe God is sovereign. The Bible says that God predestines us and gives us the Grace to know him. Ultimately though, we all choose to sin--it's just that some of us are given the Grace to know him. I have no problem with the idea, but I find it interesting to see that someone else is whining about the fact that we get a choice.
Quote:
Ultimately, God's goodness is demonstrated by the fact that he redeems us. His greatness and holiness is demonstrated by the fact that he punishes the guilty.
These posts present an utterly irrational set of premises that I simply cannot reconcile in any way. Can you untangle them for me? If God controls everything and is responsible for everything . . . How could human beings have any responsibility for anything? How can a predestined human being ever be guilty of what he is predestined for? Why would a predestined human being be punished for what he is predestined to do? In fact . . . How can a predestined human being have ANY choices at all?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
It is the Roman romantic version of Christianity. They depend heavily on virgin birth - rising from the dead...paying a divine ransom through blood sacrifice. This concept is much older than Christianity...it is similar to the scapegoat. The ancient tribe would gather with their priests who would supposedly take the sins of their people...mutter a spell - put the sins in the goat and then chase the goat off into the desert to die...thus taking the sins of the people away....It is simply superstition.
I'm afraid so. But, my goodness, the millions that believe in blood sacrifice as
the way you atoned for your sins to a God of Love...is quite overwhelming...and they can be an angry bunch!! Ha!
So, my thing is if they want to believe that and also believe in a Hell and that will keep
them from breaking into my house...so be it.
I don't really mind what people believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And bec this was a topic earlier..if anyone wants to believe that God or the Impersonal Universe does not
answer prayers or respond in kind to our beliefs and expectations..so be it.
It responds to me every day...because I believe it to be so...that the Universe is there for my joy.
And so it is.

I get what I believe...one of the secrets of this life, I found....kinda late...but I found it, never the less.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The OT way of sacrifices was extremely bloody and kind of gross. Think about it...they literally had to kill animals all the time. It was kind of disgusting.

But if you have a bloodless Christ, you have a powerless Christ. You might as well just follow Buddha or any other religious leader--because none of them have the key to forgiveness of sins. Such a Christ has nothing of substance to offer. I can get the same from pop psychology.
I could have said this same post before 2010, I relate very much...that is how recently I changed.
(Just as an FYI to get know
who Miss Hepburn is more.)
I know where my beliefs and heart were before then...they were good and loving
and with the best of intentions.
They still are...they just woke up to something that made me even wiser and more in love with my Father.

God, cares about the heart. This I know. So I 'm fine with whatever someone believes or thinks.
It does hurt me tho when someone doesn't love my Father, He is my family so it hurts my feelings...I try to not be offended and
trust one day they will experience the love from "Him" as I do.

(That burns them I know...bec they r fine as they are...I just would love it if they felt His Love...so sue me!)

Old 05-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If God controls everything and is responsible for everything . . . How could human beings have any responsibility for anything? How can a predestined human being ever be guilty of what he is predestined for? Why would a predestined human being be punished for what he is predestined to do? In fact . . . How can a predestined human being have ANY choices at all?
What you say above caused Jesus to say....give me your burdens...why? ...
Because they are NOT ours, as you say....

Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
But WHY did your god want them to do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality