Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Where did I do that?

I'm making an analogy, you know that.

It upsets me that I try and draw an analogy and you accuse me of being flip about 9/11.

That takes a very special person.

For the record to everyone else, I view the loss of life on 9/11 to be one of the most tragic events in our nation's great history. My heart, prayers, and assistance has gone out and will continue to do so to those effected by this cowardly act.

I hope I didn't need to defend myself, but since my post was countered by a personal slur, I felt I would 'go on the record'.
Don't take it as a beratement, I wasn't trying to do that, I just thought that perhaps the example used was a little bit ummm.... inappropriate?? I mean I'm talking about hundreds (estimated) of people standing at the tops of these buildings looking down at the ground and then looking into the fire and saying "I'm going my way" and jumping to their deaths. I'm talking about who knows what going through someone's mind as their plane is headed towards the World Trade Center or Pentagon or a field in Pennsylvania. I just thought it was an inappropriate way to counter an argument by bringing it to the level of a PS3. Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, but I just thought it was slightly uncalled for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbian_crusader View Post

A bad one.

The problem with it is that religion states that god is omnipresent and omnipotent and has complete control over everything as he can see everything.

It also states that he values and rewards good behavior. If this be the case, why then do tragedies happen every day? It doesn't make any sense.

Somehow I believe that if such atrocities had happened to you or someone you knew, you'd feel differently about god--it seems as though when it's someone else's misforunte, Christians collectively make excuses for god and say, "he can't control everything".

Yet you ignore the notion that god is omnipresent, is omnipotent, and has control of everything. So, essentially, you've suggested that your god is in fact not the upstanding, moral, and just man you claim him to be.

That he's in fact a jealous, hateful, spiteful, and evil god who allows bad things to happen to seemingly good people on a daily basis.
Uh, the OP doesn't believe in God.

I don't believe in Santa.

None of the diatribe above has anything to do with my analogy.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,466 times
Default Choices

I do believe in God. I also believe God gave us the ability to make choices, choice can be a wonderful gift, used correctly and wisely.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would just add that to the contrary, Jesus didn't promise that His followers would have a "bed of roses." He, in fact, said that in this world, we would have tribulation... (Not a promise we post on our refrigerator but true none the less.)
prayer of the warrior (wow i am typing a lot today)
"let my enemies be slow moving and stupid".
i didnt ask that i don't have any, but stupid and slowing moving works ok??
when i get nervous is when they are very fast and smart.
that is when i begin to question how close am i standing to god.
thats my thing and thats how i do it
thats my story n im stickin to it
ok thats it, ill sit down now.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
People like you make God loving people stronger. The just go around making sure that you are discredited. If thats your belief keep it to yourself.

Last edited by HS mom; 11-08-2007 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS mom View Post
People like you make God loving people stronger. The just go around making sure that you are discredited. If thats your belief keep it to yourself.
Why do I need to keep it to myself? Please enlighten me.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
I pray that those people that lost their lives in this terrible tragedy knew Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour and believed in Him so that they attain the Kingdom of Heaven.These types of tragedies draw us nearer to God and shows us how fragile life is,because we do not know what tomorrow brings.

Man's evil nature,his choice of choosing to do wrong is by his own will or submission of a higher government authority to create chaos or bring down or demoralize a nation has nothing to do with God. The Lord will seek out the unrighteous and bring them to justice.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
If there is no God, then why are there pages and pages of posts ad nauseum stating that there is no God. If you think there's no God, then there's no God. What's the big deal? Or are you just trying to squish with your ever-eloquent words those who think there is a God.

To the OP, Ground Zero evokes incredible feelings of grief and more. I sure understand.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS mom View Post
How ridiculous. No one has to keep anything to themselves... that's one of those naggy things America sort of stands for. Good God.

And what sort of logic is there that explains how believers, by pure existence, negate or discredit nonbelievers? Did you even have a point?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,385 times
The general consensus from the believers is that you can't blame God for the bad things that happen, fair enough. So we can't say he is the instigator of the good things.

Sort of proves that even believers think one of two things, either God is totally irresponsible or he does not have a function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality