Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times

Advertisements

Things happen because actions have consequences.
Unfortunately not taking action also has consequences.
Blaming God, destiny, or whatever, for the consequences of man's actions is claiming that man ought not to have free will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,386,313 times
I was raised Catholic and stopped believing in God when I was about 13. In my religion classes, I was told I was going to hell after I told the nun I did not believe in God.

I don't think any god played a role in the attacks on NYC and DC, any more than I believe that any god has any influence in what goes on in my life. No amount of praying could change anything in my life. And before you say that I should try, well I just do not want to get into something so personal here.

I think religion is good for people who enjoy having religion part of their lives. Although for me, God of the bible is the same as Zues, a tool used to help people feel that they came from somewhere or someone.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,776 times
i dont like how most people view god in the christian sense even if they don't believe....god could be nothing more then the energy that was required to create the universe..."he" doesn't necessarily have to be a thinking being...though because we are endowed with the ability of thought i personally perceive our creator this way...actually in a part of what i believe i am god, you are god, we are god..(i will discuss this fully elsewhere)..so in that those people created there own destiny...that at least makes it seem less cruel...though it was a tragic evet in our history that has changed the world dramatically...actually i believe it was the beginning of the end

Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
i dont like how most people view god in the christian sense even if they don't believe....god could be nothing more then the energy that was required to create the universe..."he" doesn't necessarily have to be a thinking being...though because we are endowed with the ability of thought i personally perceive our creator this way...actually in a part of what i believe i am god, you are god, we are god..(i will discuss this fully elsewhere)..so in that those people created there own destiny...that at least makes it seem less cruel...though it was a tragic evet in our history that has changed the world dramatically...actually i believe it was the beginning of the end
I agree that we should try to refrain from speaking of God in the Christian sense. I know I am guilty of it myself, but I think I generally do it because the crowd I am speaking to typically believes in the Christian god. It's just a bad habit, really. When I speak of God (unless the conversation is directly pointed towards the Christian god) I do try to encompass the notion of ALL deities.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:33 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,776 times
atheism is the most confusing religion to me..though intreging....how does one come to believe in no god....horrific events shouldn't bring you to this conclusion...could you agree with the idea i have come up with ...as god is nothing more then a thoughtless randomly occurring energy....or does the word cause disgust for you......its just i dont understand that idea of no god what so ever...its impossible to me...maybe my brain is just unable to comprehend such an idea that the universe wasn't created....it just is...and that everything...is just is....i donno...would you explain atheisim to me...

Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Things happen because actions have consequences.
Unfortunately not taking action also has consequences.
Blaming God, destiny, or whatever, for the consequences of man's actions is claiming that man ought not to have free will.
Good point. The OP was thinking about a god that does not give man free choice... that stops men in their tracks, and never lets them commit evil and destructive deeds. It is true, such a god does not exist.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM

599 posts, read 1,261,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
It's called gravity and the tides. Sheesh it amazes me the things people will believe in. There's no god, never was, please show me proof and don't say the ocean, and the earth and everything we have. That was formed millions and millions of years ago by something called the Big Bang. And no, I don't believe god caused it. It just happened.

Science can prove the big bang, evolution etc. All the religious have is "faith" and a book written by ordinary men that means nothing.
Re: The first bolded statement...as a Christian, I can say the same thing to you. Regarding the second bolded statement, in my opinion, it takes a lot more "faith" to believe that the entire universe and everything in it came as the result of the "big bang" and billions of years of evolution than to believe the creation story told in the Bible.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Good point. The OP was thinking about a god that does not give man free choice... that stops men in their tracks, and never lets them commit evil and destructive deeds. It is true, such a god does not exist.
With respect,this is the take that wrongdoers place on God, after all it allows good people to continue in their faith in the face of appalling evidence to the contrary.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
atheism is the most confusing religion to me..though intreging....how does one come to believe in no god....horrific events shouldn't bring you to this conclusion...could you agree with the idea i have come up with ...as god is nothing more then a thoughtless randomly occurring energy....or does the word cause disgust for you......its just i dont understand that idea of no god what so ever...its impossible to me...maybe my brain is just unable to comprehend such an idea that the universe wasn't created....it just is...and that everything...is just is....i donno...would you explain atheisim to me...
I would describe Atheism as being in a state of non religion, free.

Horrific events do not and have not played a part in my understanding of the value of religion.

The word God does not disgust me, I can study history and empathize with players in it exploring their apparent struggle with religion. I can understand the interweaving of religion and art for art is primeval and a case can be made to say religion sprang from art.

It should be remembered that as children we are plugged in to a network of beliefs at our most formative, creative, age, this aspect needs to be realised from within to release our minds to explore alternatives.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 AM

31 posts, read 218,171 times
The only thing I'm sure of is this:

The Lord only made one promise....
Eternal life for those who believe in him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality