Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
atheism is the most confusing religion to me..though intreging....how does one come to believe in no god....horrific events shouldn't bring you to this conclusion...could you agree with the idea i have come up with ...as god is nothing more then a thoughtless randomly occurring energy....or does the word cause disgust for you......its just i dont understand that idea of no god what so ever...its impossible to me...maybe my brain is just unable to comprehend such an idea that the universe wasn't created....it just is...and that everything...is just is....i donno...would you explain atheisim to me...
Yes A.T. I could easily perceive god as just thoughtless energy.
I would not worship thoughtless energy.
So if anyone ever convinces me there’s a God , I will think of him as thoughtless.

Seems like there is more evidence that UFOs exist than God.
Symington: I saw a UFO in the Arizona sky - CNN.com

I'm half joking, you figure out what half is the joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM

49 posts, read 92,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
There is no such thing as God. Something like that was not necessary. Sometimes you don't realize the true tragedy until you can experience it in some small way. If there is a God, than I want no part of him for he is as wicked as the men who flew those airplanes into the building for allowing it to happen.

This is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say in various threads! First of all, I don't believe there is a "god" (in any religion). But (as a partial agnostic, meaning I'm somewhere between agnostic and athiest), in all logic, if there were to really be a "god", then the words "powerful and loving" are absolutely ludicrous! I'm not saying that "god" actually created 9/11, but (assuming there IS a "god), "he" ALLOWED it to happen! So that means "he" is NOT so LOVING to allow this to happen to so many innocent people and their loved ones!! And if "he" is so POWERFUL, then why not have prevented those awful individuals from doing this (and so many other horrific things that take place)? Hmmmmm, where is "his" POWER? OK, so I"ve asked this before, and people come up with that "we are paying for the sins of Adam & Eve and others from years ago...". Again, this makes NO sense. Why should anyone pay for someone ELSE'S sins????? Each person who does a crime should pay for their OWN sins, not someone else's!! I'm sorry if I'm coming off too strong here...but over and over this is discussed, and never any LOGICAL answer with some scientific proof has come up for this concept, the whole concept of "god", of which "god" is the RIGHT "god", and what "god" can and cannot do (or chooses to or not do...). In any case, certainly NO LOVING and POWERFUL "god" existed during 9/11, Katrina, and many other horrific times. Thanks for listening....

Old 11-09-2007, 05:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocono-jane View Post
This is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say in various threads! First of all, I don't believe there is a "god" (in any religion). But (as a partial agnostic, meaning I'm somewhere between agnostic and athiest), in all logic, if there were to really be a "god", then the words "powerful and loving" are absolutely ludicrous! I'm not saying that "god" actually created 9/11, but (assuming there IS a "god), "he" ALLOWED it to happen! So that means "he" is NOT so LOVING to allow this to happen to so many innocent people and their loved ones!! And if "he" is so POWERFUL, then why not have prevented those awful individuals from doing this (and so many other horrific things that take place)? Hmmmmm, where is "his" POWER? OK, so I"ve asked this before, and people come up with that "we are paying for the sins of Adam & Eve and others from years ago...". Again, this makes NO sense. Why should anyone pay for someone ELSE'S sins????? Each person who does a crime should pay for their OWN sins, not someone else's!! I'm sorry if I'm coming off too strong here...but over and over this is discussed, and never any LOGICAL answer with some scientific proof has come up for this concept, the whole concept of "god", of which "god" is the RIGHT "god", and what "god" can and cannot do (or chooses to or not do...). In any case, certainly NO LOVING and POWERFUL "god" existed during 9/11, Katrina, and many other horrific times. Thanks for listening....
I think you have to be careful in pondering this. It always seemed to me that if there were a God that actually existed and had a "thought process" that he is most certainly an evil God. Everyone ponders the subject of good creating evil to give man free will, but it always seems that if he existed, than he created good to give man free will and he likes to sit back and enjoy the show. In my mind, it's very similar to a 5-year old with a magnifying glass frying ants.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Originally Posted by GCSTroop
Quote:
In my mind, it's very similar to a 5-year old with a magnifying glass frying ants.
True.
How do you teach a 5 year old to be empathic to others? To not spare the rod whenever the child does evil. In modern times we first talk to the child, but since a 5-year-old's mind is still egocentric it would not be unreasonable to conclude that it wouldn't understand. So we just spank the child until it has learned to correct its behaviour because it doesn't like pain.
Later when the child has grown older and has grown beyond the egocentric mindset it will hopefully understand why the parents kept smacking him whenever he did something as frying ants with a magnifying glass for his own (sadistic) pleasure.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,067,221 times
Quote:
If there is a God, than I want no part of him for he is as wicked as the men who flew those airplanes into the building for allowing it to happen.
God made us beings of free will, we are ALL free to choose if we want to believe or not believe. We are all free to choose to do any number of things which the Bible says we are not to do. We are all free to choose which path in life we want to take, if God stopped all bad things from happening in the world, we would not be free willed beings. We would be being controlled by God. Instead of making our own choices, God would be making our choices for us. I prefer to make my own decisions, and while the decisions of others sometimes cause others severe pain I'll take that over not having a mind of my own. This is one thing that even Christians don't always understand. People like to say, it was his "time"..... that way of thinking would say that God is in control of everything. And I suppose it makes people feel better to think this way. I don't. If it were decided by God when we died don't you think he would take us all at birth. After all we're His children and He doesn't want to see any of us suffer or hurt, He would want us with Him in Heaven. But He doesn't do this, He gave us all free will and minds of our own. And sometimes people make very bad decisions in life, and do horrible things to others. This is where we're all missing the point. We need to join together, not fight against one another, if we're ever to find peace in this life.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:30 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
atheism is the most confusing religion to me..though intreging....how does one come to believe in no god....horrific events shouldn't bring you to this conclusion...could you agree with the idea i have come up with ...as god is nothing more then a thoughtless randomly occurring energy....or does the word cause disgust for you......its just i dont understand that idea of no god what so ever...its impossible to me...maybe my brain is just unable to comprehend such an idea that the universe wasn't created....it just is...and that everything...is just is....i donno...would you explain atheisim to me...
You must understand that Atheism is not a religion. It is not a "belief". It has no rules, laws, regulations, expectations. It is just a mindset that disregards the belief in religious deity's. Sam Harris described Atheism as merely "the sounds non-believers make in the presence of religious scriptures or preachings".

Human's do not begin life with a belief in God and then decide to neglect it. We are all born devoid of supernatural beliefs.. and then some decide to believe once they learn about religious teachings.

IMO the universe doesn't have to be "just is" to not believe in the Christian God or Allah or Zeus. I don't really think about how it began.. it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure there are an infinate amount of reasons for it.. but one of those reason's, that a supernatural created it, is so far unreasoned, unjustified, and unproven to the atheist.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GCSTroop True.
How do you teach a 5 year old to be empathic to others? To not spare the rod whenever the child does evil. In modern times we first talk to the child, but since a 5-year-old's mind is still egocentric it would not be unreasonable to conclude that it wouldn't understand. So we just spank the child until it has learned to correct its behaviour because it doesn't like pain.
Later when the child has grown older and has grown beyond the egocentric mindset it will hopefully understand why the parents kept smacking him whenever he did something as frying ants with a magnifying glass for his own (sadistic) pleasure.
Tricky, I agree with the thrust of your point but am slightly aghast at the suggestion that we should smack the little one to bring it too maturation, almost as misleading as teaching him to believe in ghosts or God to frighten him into submission. Would you not agree that curiosity could be a bigger factor in the ant frying process rather than sadism?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:50 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Default That title

If that dont sound like a,,,. I think someone needs a hug

Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
God made us beings of free will, we are ALL free to choose if we want to believe or not believe. We are all free to choose to do any number of things which the Bible says we are not to do. We are all free to choose which path in life we want to take, if God stopped all bad things from happening in the world, we would not be free willed beings. We would be being controlled by God. Instead of making our own choices, God would be making our choices for us. I prefer to make my own decisions, and while the decisions of others sometimes cause others severe pain I'll take that over not having a mind of my own. This is one thing that even Christians don't always understand. People like to say, it was his "time"..... that way of thinking would say that God is in control of everything. And I suppose it makes people feel better to think this way. I don't. If it were decided by God when we died don't you think he would take us all at birth. After all we're His children and He doesn't want to see any of us suffer or hurt, He would want us with Him in Heaven. But He doesn't do this, He gave us all free will and minds of our own. And sometimes people make very bad decisions in life, and do horrible things to others. This is where we're all missing the point. We need to join together, not fight against one another, if we're ever to find peace in this life.
The problem is that I think a lot of people fail to see the irony here probably because they are believers. But, to give you an idea, imagine a group of Thor Radicals lit off a dirty bomb in New York City killing thousands of people because they did not like the imperialistic actions of the Zeus followers that lived there. That's kind of how, from a third party point of view, I'm viewing this thing. People are killing people of one God in the name of another God and to me it's no different than the Thor and Zeus example. It's just as ridiculous. People justify their actions with it and yet no proof for a deity has EVER existed or been found. You have to remember, my OP was based on the fact that I am already an atheist. So, to me, Thor is just as ridiculous of an idea as the Christian and Muslim God.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The problem is that I think a lot of people fail to see the irony here probably because they are believers. But, to give you an idea, imagine a group of Thor Radicals lit off a dirty bomb in New York City killing thousands of people because they did not like the imperialistic actions of the Zeus followers that lived there. That's kind of how, from a third party point of view, I'm viewing this thing. People are killing people of one God in the name of another God and to me it's no different than the Thor and Zeus example. It's just as ridiculous. People justify their actions with it and yet no proof for a deity has EVER existed or been found. You have to remember, my OP was based on the fact that I am already an atheist. So, to me, Thor is just as ridiculous of an idea as the Christian and Muslim God.
Thats the nub of it GCSTroop, believers are unable generally to see where you as an Atheist are coming from, the synapses are all wired up the other way, just one of those things, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality