Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,786 times

Advertisements

Well, one immediately comes to mind. I'd ask him to write out the full details of a Grand Unified Theory that explains, combines, and predicts quantum physics and relativity and dark matter and energy or whatever the true physics is, filling in any required mathematical techniques required to understand and prove the GUT. I think I'd also ask that he explain the cosmological process by which a new universe comes to exist in a multiverse. It would be nice to know how life developed from non-living components, and have him instantaneously create a movie showing exactly how it happened that everyone could watch and actually understand and test.

If he could do that, I might believe him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
I'll take a page from that annoying commercial:

When I rotate my tires, should I go left rear to right front or left rear to left front?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,786 times
Well, one immediately comes to mind. I'd ask him to write out the full details of a Grand Unified Theory that explains, combines, and predicts quantum physics and relativity and dark matter and energy or whatever the true physics is, filling in any required mathematical techniques required to understand and prove the GUT - with a layman's summary in the appendix. I think I'd also ask that he explain the cosmological process by which a new universe comes to exist in a multiverse. It would be nice to know how life developed from non-living components, and have him instantaneously create a movie showing exactly how it happened that everyone could watch and actually understand and test.

If he could do that, I might believe him.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'll take a page from that annoying commercial:

When I rotate my tires, should I go left rear to right front or left rear to left front?
You wasted a big opportunity, mordant....you coulda googled that one...

Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,470 times
I would ask him why he created pathogens and released them into the world.
And why he should not be tried for murder.

Last edited by Aeroman; 09-20-2013 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: He should be sentenced to non existance. No torture. We as humans should be better than God has been.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
You wasted a big opportunity, mordant....you coulda googled that one...
Hm ... the thread got moved to Religion as I was replying but somehow minus your reply and several others. That kind of thing seems to happen around here a lot.

At any rate ... the commercial I'm speaking of is a similar setup to the OP: some yahoo makes it to the summit where the guru is seated and the guru says, "you may ask one question". And that is the question he asks. Other versions have a girl expecting a marriage proposal who gets the same question, etc.

I don't, tellingly, remember what the commercial was even selling although the tagline was to the effect that you need to ask appropriate questions to the setting. But MY take-away is that some people want to be told what to do in all aspects of life rather than think for themselves.

If I saw the guy in the park I'd smile and move on. Because if the guy was genuine there would shortly be a line of people miles long waiting to be enlightened, healed from incurable diseases, raised from the dead, etc., and the world would be completely transformed within a month. No need to stand in line.

Actually something rather like this happened to me this morning, I thought I'd pop down to the local Verizon store to update to the iPhone 5s, figuring I'd hit them early while there was some selection in stock. It was like a rock concert dow there, with people lined up for two blocks to get in. I turned around and left. Don't need a new phone, today, right now, anywhere near that bad.

This also speaks to why I'd smile and move on from the OP's hypothetical holy man ... I don't need anything that a holy many would have on offer that badly. I've made it for 56 years, another month won't be a problem. And I've always felt that any man / church / whatever that really was on to something would be something other than the self-limiting phenomenon that they always are. If it's real, it will consume life as we know it in a very short time. If it's fake, it will be the same as ever -- only visible from the corner of people's eyes and never applicable when really required.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 13,827 times
OK... the guy sitting on a hill thing is obviously too distracting. I was actually trying to avoid distracting by setting up an open scenario. If anything I thought some guy "claiming to be God" would bring out the debator in people... just not about the guy himself... about the questions to be asked. That blew up in my face.

Anyway... I restarted the topic in the atheist forumn with this explanation (I put it here also since some things got moved around)

The original thread was deleted. I'm not sure if it was because Miss Blue thinks I posted it as an opportunity to evangelize or because few, if any, took it seriously and the thread was considered being flamed. I don't know. I certainly didn't come here with a soapbox. I believe we should all believe what we believe.

My whole reason for the topic was to collect intelligent questions that spur the God/Religion debate. You know, like "why is there so much suffering in the world?" That kind'a thing... but I want more. I assumed this would be a good place to get them.
_________

Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 13,827 times
btw.. I like TaoistDudes questions. It's not the moral questions... it's the down and dirty about reality. Nice

Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
"Why didn't you answer all our questions telepathically and simultaneously to save us waiting in line?"

Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,068 times
To me, the premise is flawed.

It presume one believes in a "god" and/or is willing to waste their time waiting for someone else to answer questions that they should be seeking answers for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality