Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
I owed you an answer but not from this thread. In the sense that none of us were there, we are all false witnesses to the events of both the old and the new testaments. We had a saying in church that if you were not an eye witness you are a false witness. Brother, you are a false witness. Your "dig deeper" statements mean nothing. In reality, you know nothing more than the rest of us but you like to think that you do. You are an expert in nothing except maybe doubt.
Folk that post about their religion on internet forms are not secure in their beliefs. The dig deeper suggestion is simply a recommendation to look further than your taughtology that comes out in your posts.
Quote:
You gave me your "4 pillars" of Christianity in another thread. When I got to number 4 where you doubted the very existence of the life of Jesus you lost all credibility in my eyes. Even a novice student of religion knows that Jesus was one of, if not thee most documented man in history- written of in at least 3 of the worlds greatest religions and documented by historians. You showed me that your belief as an atheist was purely of your own choosing when you stated that you doubted that Jesus ever lived. I'm sorry but now I can never take anything that you say seriously again.
This was addressed already but the point to admit here is that if the 1st three pillars, a literal Adam and Eve, a global flood that never happened (we know where that tale was borrowed from) and Exodus, the whole tale of where the apparent laws of god were received, is a myth and actually fails in its claims purely on math as far as water requirements go. The lineage of Jesus and his teachings trace back through and mention all of these aspects. You would know what I am inferring if you actually knew your bible so I do not go the extra mile to cite the specific verses.

Thus whether scholars hold to an idea of a physical jesus or not is a moot point. The bible fails on its own merits, therefore, whatever Jesus allegedly taught or proclaimed really is also a moot point.

Folk ignore these facts or pretend they are non existent or appeal to magic; but the conclusion is that they follow a religion which is based on a god made up in their heads.

When special pleading is assumed that these events happened somehow but perhaps not as explicitly reported, it confirms my assertion that folk are indeed following a belief tailored to suit their invented god.

You really cannot argue that the bible is the word of god when a simple evaluation like mine questions its credibility.

As for not actually being there is also stupid logic as we all (or should) use deductive reasoning. The bible is far from a reliable historocal document as it is merely a collection of folklore no more intuitive than Aesop's fables.

Religion and god belief has always been driven by man, we do not have an intuitive or innate quality that suggests there is a god to be sought. All of it comes about as a result of indoctrination.

Your appeal in the above paragraph is an ad populum fallacy (appeal to numbers). That means, just because many do it does not mean it is factual. 99% of believers never bother to dig deeper to ascertain the origins of their religious beliefs.

On a personal note, we as a church were told that our sect was descendent from the church of acts. Research by others led to some Irishman inventing the religion in the 19th century who also happened to have had many mistresses and illegitimate children. Based on the practices of the sect, the anecdotal evidence suggested this was true. The "workers" as we called them went out in pairs, gave up all their worldly possessions, we had no church buildings and met in homes, had annual conventions in tents or hired halls and so on.

None of this was true and even the masses held onto this as "truth". My dad was devastated when I showed him the evidence of a faith he had followed his entire life was based on a sham. He (and my mother) flat out refused to accept the findings of the research and went on believing as they were indoctrinated. The research had photographs of the original early sect and the documentation of practices that had survived a century w/o question.

There is an entire Wiki article if you are interested in perusing it.

Two by Twos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Two by Twos is one of the names used to denote an international, home-based church that has its origins in Ireland at the end of the 19th century. Among members, the church is typically referred to as "The Truth" or "The Way". Those outside the church refer to it as "Two by Twos", "No-name Church", "Cooneyites" or "Workers and Friends". Church ministers are itinerant and work in groups of two, hence the name "Two by Twos". The church's registered names include "Christian Conventions" in the United States, "Assemblies of Christians" in Canada, "The Testimony of Jesus" in the United Kingdom, "Kristna I Sverige" in Sweden, and "United Christian Conventions" in Australia. These organization names are used only for registration purposes and are not used by members.
Many American churches have their origins in the same century and also filled with false claims. The Pentecostals which gave rise to the current evangelical movement is from an even later time frame.

It is all out there to research if you dare to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality