Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
Just because science said so? How can they when they were not even there?

If you get mistakes in from their dating methods as found sometimes when dating something within our known lifetime or history; how can anyone date something beyond the scope of human history without confirmation?

Living mollusks have been carbon dated at 2,300 years old dead.

Mortar from an English castle less than 800 years old -carbon 14 test dated at 7,370 years old.

Even fresh seal skins had been carbon 14 test dated at 1,300 years old.

The C-14 system depends on the idea that there has been no catastrophic event in the past fifty thousand years, and yet we are getting errors in the dating method.
FYI: carbon dating doesn't give the earth's age.

Other isotopes do. It was in your 9th grade science class.

Quote:
So "if" the global flood happened within the 6,000 years time period, it would throw all the measurements out of whack as it also explains why there are errors in the scientific dating method that we have today.

Feel free to share why you believe that the earth is 4.54 billion years old without science and history being able to confirm it.
The earth's age isn't a matter of faith. The earth doesn't care what anyone believes. It's still 4.5 billion years old. The sum total of all the beliefs of all the young earth creationists won't change that.

Carry on.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Gldnrule, old pal, that is nothing to do with the topic.
Really? I would think it covers any topic as respects What Fundie Religious Believe VS Latest Scientific Information.
Oh, and...no charge for the sand.

See that! I got Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and sundry out of it!! Scooooooore!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Feel free to share why you believe that the earth is 4.54 billion years old
without science and history being able to confirm it.
By taking LSD in the Grand Canyon.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Poorinspirit

Why would anyone want to "prove" anything about geology without using science? History certainly is not the correct discipline for demonstrating geology nor does it go back anywhere near that nor does prehistory.

You certainly have not been able to demonstrate a young earth using science nor any other means.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,562 times
Quote:
Just because science said so? How can they when they were not even there?
In that case, you'll be happy to open the prison doors. Forensics is based on evidence without eyewitnesses. And you'll need to abolish christianity, because of course none of us were there in 4AD to see whether Mary cheated, whether there was ever a Jesus, etc, etc. Or een to know when this supposed event has happenned, because none of us were there so we have no way to even guess if it was in 400AD, 3000BC or any other time. In fact, why am I supposed to believe WWII or Woodstock happenned, I wasn't there to witness it. Anything that happenned before my birth is possibly fiction, and anything that happens outside my immediate proximity is suspect, too. All my grandparents are probably alive, because I didn't witness their deaths. And their wills can't be released from probate because the commisioner of probate didn't witness their deaths either.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 PM

874 posts, read 636,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post

Rifleman would have chimed in now with a colourful post no doubt..
What happened to Rifleman????

Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,562 times
Rifleman died.

Quote:
From my FB feed:
From Don's family: We are sad to share with you all that Don passed away on Saturday evening. As some of you may know, he had not been well for some time. Though we are deeply saddened by the loss, we are grateful that he is no longer suffering. We're thankful for his life and cherish the times we spent with him.
Don Wooldridge
23 November 1947 to 26 October 2013

Old 12-11-2014, 07:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Rifleman was a gas. I miss him.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 PM

874 posts, read 636,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Originally Posted by Fiyero
He could create it in 6 days, but based on the science and intelligence he provided us with, we know he did not.

I am a Christian without any organized religious ties and I totally agree with you. I have only my Bible, but I know there was no 7 day creation as the churches teach it. I found that very clearly in the text. I didn't have the science to back me up, because I don't have a background in science. But, I do have the intelligence He gave me, and luckily, not the religion the Christians are pushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
That is the most self-refuting statement I have ever read on here. God, who is not bound by natural laws, didn't create the world in six days because there is no natural explanation. Science cannot make statments of truth about the supernatural. By very definition, it cannot.
God is not bound by any natural laws. He created the natural laws for His world. Why would He have created the world without creating all the laws - if there is a natural law as you say? Why would he have given man intelligence to pursue science and math and nature without giving the world the foundations for those things? God created the wonders of this world - His world. It is there for man to discover and figure out. It is the puzzle that God created for us. Why do you have so much trouble believing that God is smart enough and wise enough to have given us all these things? God is truly great and wondrous. Why would you assume God is too dumb to have arranged it just as it is? Why would you think God is so limited that He is not smarter than we are? Why would God not have created many, many wonders, puzzles, and intricacies? You're selling God short.

You want God to fit your religious beliefs. God was here first. You should be trying to get your religious beliefs to fit God. Behold His wonders. Try to understand them.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
I can't believe people still think this way. The earth is 6,000 years old? The Bible doesn't even say that, you only arrive at 6,000-10,000 years old by adding up all the ages of the people in the bible, which is NOT conclusive evidence.

How do you explain dinosaurs?
How do you explain Neandrathal?
How do you exlpain hominids?
How do you explain Lucy?
How do you explain plate shifting?
How do you explain the Grand Canyon and other rock formations?
How do you explain carbon dating?

You can't discount science because it isn't perfect. Your holding onto a precious book of stories and putting it above tried and true scientific methods is absolutely ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality