Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
He vaporized someone for looking back. All we know about the person is she looked back.
Lot survived and he was the one who suggested tossing his daughters to the rape-mob...to the rape mob.

We don't have many examples of this creator being a good being. For all we know, the majority of the female percentage of the population wouldn't hurt a fly.

Your book does a horrible job of depicting the creator as a good being.
Actually it depicts God as a very fair Judge.
"Gen 18:32 And saying is he, "My Lord must not, pray, be hot, when I shall speak, yea, once more. Perhaps will be found there ten.And saying is He, "Not ruin it will I, for the sake of the ten."

The majority of the female percentage of the population would hurt a fly.

Lot's wife was given a very simple directive "don't look back." She thought she didn't have to obey that simple directive. She looked back. Too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
"And answering, Jesus said to them, "Those who are sound have no need of a physician, but those who have an illness" (Luk_5:31).

You can't always judge Lot by his actions toward the rape mob especially since that was standard protocol among the nations back then. Today we are incensed by it. Back then it was standard operating procedure.

But the point is not that Lot was evil but that the world of Noah's day was very wicked and God had to do something about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
And you wonder why people make "smart arse remarks" about those who believe the Bible stories.
Yes, in fact I do wonder why people like you make smart arse remarks about these things.

The fact is that back then the common understanding was that girls and women were nothing more than chattel, something to be bargained for. Today we find it repulsive. Back then it was the norm.

Just the fact that Lot was living in Sodom shows he had morality issues. He wanted to make a quick buck at the expense of putting his family in harms way. He was in need of the Great Physician.

God saves such.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Is turning over vendor tables considered as displaying agape love?
Yes, in fact it was. First off they weren't supposed to be selling in the temple. That was sacrilegious. Jesus had to set things straight.

Quote:
Is advising his followers to forsake their families considered displaying agape love?
Yes in fact it was agape love. And what you fail to notice is that the disciples were still fishing and taking care of their families, one of whom was sick and Jesus went to Peter's house and healed his wife. You are just taking the "forsaking families" in the wrong way in order to paint Jesus as unloving.

Quote:
Jesus was the first to mention Hell in the Bible and the everlasting place of punishment for sinners. Is this considered displaying agape love? As Bertrand Russell put it,
"There is one very serious defect to my mind in Christ's moral character, and that is that He believed in hell. I do not myself feel that any person who is really profoundly humane can believe in everlasting punishment. Christ certainly as depicted in the Gospels did believe in everlasting punishment, and one does find repeatedly a vindictive fury against those people who would not listen to His preaching—an attitude which is not uncommon with preachers, but which does somewhat detract from superlative excellence. You do not, for instance find that attitude in Socrates. You find him quite bland and urbane toward the people who would not listen to him; and it is, to my mind, far more worthy of a sage to take that line than to take the line of indignation. "
Jesus never mentioned the word "Hell." He spoke only of Gehenna which is a valley to the south of Jerusalem and today is a lovely park but during the millennium will be a trash dump where they will burn the trash of the city and worms will eat the trash where the fire isn't. Jesus also NEVER mentioned "everlasting punishment." That is just a poor translation of "kolasin aionios" which is just "chastening eonian" or chastening pertaining to that millennial eon and it is punishing the nations, not in hell but by chastening them for what they did to His brethren during their great tribulation.

Quote:
These, along with the Bible Jesus' refusal to denounce slavery shows that he wasn't very moral person, one certainly not worthy of worship. At best he was an apathetic passive person, dangerously advocating the forgiving of acts as despicable as rape and murder.
Oh brother! I'm sure you are more righteous than Jesus. And just what on earth does this have to do with Noah? or the world-wide flood?

Old 05-19-2015, 07:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
"Gen 18:32 And saying is he, "My Lord must not, pray, be hot, when I shall speak, yea, once more. Perhaps will be found there ten.And saying is He, "Not ruin it will I, for the sake of the ten."

The majority of the female percentage of the population would hurt a fly.

Lot's wife was given a very simple directive "don't look back." She thought she didn't have to obey that simple directive. She looked back. Too bad.
Your god is very fair judge.
The god of the Old Testament appears not to be.
I don't know why the female half of the population are so terrible. All I know is that the creator who struck down the Tower of Babel thinks they're terrible. That's about as convincing as Genghis Khan saying it.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Your god is very fair judge.
The god of the Old Testament appears not to be.
I don't know why the female half of the population are so terrible. All I know is that the creator who struck down the Tower of Babel thinks they're terrible. That's about as convincing as Genghis Khan saying it.
Did God really strike down the Tower of Babel or did He just confuse the languages so they could not complete their project?

The God of the Old Testament was a just judge and very fair minded. And it is His universe and He can do with it that which He deems necessary.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:12 AM

2,779 posts, read 2,672,179 times
Quote:
. However, I don't consider a piece of literature to be a form of warning even if it does explain the exact diameter of our sun to the nearest mile. I see no reason to believe a creator would place proof of its existence in a piece of literature, so why should anyone look for it in a piece of literature?
Would you like to see the sea parted ? it was done at the time of the messenger Musa peace be upon him.
Would like to see the moon parted ? it was done at the time of final messenger Mahammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him).
Would you like to see a camel comes out from inside a rock ? it was done at the time of the messenger Salih peace be upon him.
Would you like to see a dead person return to life ? it was done at the time of the messenger Isa (Jesus) peace be upon him.
Would you like to see a person thrown inside a huge fire and does not get burned? it was done for the messenger Ibrahim peace be upon him.

since Adam peace be upon him. until the final messenger Mahammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him), many massagers and prophets were send to the people and the message was completed .

it is like you are asking to reinvent the wheel .

However we still have one of the biggest miracles of the prophet Mahammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him). and that
is the Holy Quran the words of Allah in other word we have in our hands one of the attributes of Allah which is words.

Quote:
I suspect I'm pretty safe, and your statement reassures me of that. I intend to get around to reading multiple translations of the Qur'an eventually
though.
The prophet Mahammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him said:
“Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, says:
‘I am as My slave thinks I am, and I am with him when he remembers Me.
If he remembers me to himself, I remember him to Myself;
if he remembers Me in a gathering, I remember him in a gathering better than it;
if he draws near to Me a handspan, I draw near to him an arm’s length;
if he draws near to me an arm’s length, I draw near to him a fathom’s length;
if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.â€

Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Did God really strike down the Tower of Babel or did He just confuse the languages so they could not complete their project?

The God of the Old Testament was a just judge and very fair minded. And it is His universe and He can do with it that which He deems necessary.
Is there much of a difference?
Either way it's destructive and it's toppling down an achievement of humanity...by an omniscient creator. I wonder how much faster a world of people who all spoke the same language could have cured smallpox?

With universal salvation...things get confusing. That sounds like a pretty good thing indeed. That's probably something to be thankful for. However, the punishments and rewards handed out by the creator in the Old Testament seem very odd to me. Oh darn. We've achieved world peace and everyone has come together. That's a problem. Gotta muck up all their hard work.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-19-2015 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM

2,779 posts, read 2,672,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In other words, yes, this is just an interpretation.
Yes, this is just an interpretation
but based on knowledge and understanding
read again what is in Blue
rape is not pure.
And his people came rushing towards him, and since aforetime they used to commit crimes (sodomy),
he said: "O my people! Here are my daughters (i.e. the women of the nation), they are purer for you (if you marry them lawfully).
So fear Allah and degrace me not with regard to my guests! Is there not among you a single right-minded man?" The Holy Quran 11.78

Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
Would you like to see the sea parted ? it was done at the time of the messenger Musa peace be upon him.
Would like to see the moon parted ? it was done at the time of final messenger Mahammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him).
Would you like to see a camel comes out from inside a rock ? it was done at the time of the messenger Salih peace be upon him.
Would you like to see a dead person return to life ? it was done at the time of the messenger Isa (Jesus) peace be upon him.
Would you like to see a person thrown inside a huge fire and does not get burned? it was done for the messenger Ibrahim peace be upon him.

since Adam peace be upon him. until the final messenger Mahammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him), many massagers and prophets were send to the people and the message was completed .

it is like you are asking to reinvent the wheel.
I bet I could find alien abductee stories told by people who are currently alive, rather than people who lived centuries ago. I have serious doubts about their truth too.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:

Clearly, the punishment fit the crime. A fair judge indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality