Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 09:29 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
The Mayan Calendar ends on that date. According to their holy writ, the Popul Vuh, it will be the end (extinguishing) of the 5th sun. Some take this to mean a symbolic ending as in, an end of an age while others see as it something more ominous - the end of human existence (or much of it) as we know it. It's part of a cycle.

Some say it has happened before and there were survivors who were responsible or all of us being here today. They point to the earth having the residual scars of a tragic upheaval eons ago that brought a previous "Golden Age" to an end. The survivors simply preserved partial memories in what we now call myths.

On December 21st, 2012, there will be some unique alignment involving the earth and sun, one which has not occurred since 240,000 years ago. Some scientists predict this might cause what they call, a "polar shift," which is theorized as an event where earth's poles (north and south) exchange places OR pulled back and then snapped back into place creating a violent upturn of the entire planet.

That the Mayans were skilled astronomers is no secret. That their calendar is more accurate than the ones we use today is also no secret. They charted the courses of the sky with precision, knew of precession and other cosmic events before they occurred is also amazing, but while they predicted something about the winter solstice in the year 2012, the meaning is left up to us to determine.

Your thoughts?
In Hinduism a new and better age is suppose to start about now give or take. According to Indian scriptures now being Kali yuga is the worst of 4 ages and is suppose to end with destruction while starting fresh a cycle over again. This along with Mayan calendar and prophecies made by certain people, compared with looking at the world today, I believe is something to wonder about. Especially since astromony is involved. I personally don't believe there will be any drastic events around that date but years after won't be the same. Or maybe it's all psychological, u wont know til the time passes or u read up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:00 PM

229 posts, read 348,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
My calender ends December 31st 2008. I should write a book about it. It may just be the end of the world. EW
What a crazy coincidence. I have the same calendar! We should join up!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
There is also a school of thought that says one purpose of the warnings of "earth changes" that may occur at that time, has had its desired result, and that drastic change is now NOT seen as inevitable. In other words, enough people paid attention to the warnings, changed how they treat the earth and other people, began living in more peaceful ways, with less violence and aggression....to have reduced the intensity of the event.

So according to that strand of thinking, the shift has actually occurred and we have already entered the next period. We have averted and changed that "potential outcome."

The purpose of a prophecy is not doom and gloom, or to get on the cover of the National Enquirer, but to AVERT doom and gloom.

We have free will as humans how we treat each other and the planet. One potential outcome or "ending to the story" is doom and gloom. Another potential outcome is living more responsibly. When a critical mass is reached by enough individuals, it tips the outcome in favor for everyone and the planet. Some say that is now occurring and the birth into the next world for our planet has gently come to be.
That thinking tends to feel right to me, but I do not believe that people are nicer or living better. Maybe I am just a pessimist(realist), but the people I encounter everyday regularly do things to each other that they would have never done to such an extent before. I get the feeling that we are creating our own horrible end.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Do you really think a bunch of stark naked savages from a few thousand years ago had the intellectual and logistical capability to predict the end of the world? I digress.
While I don't believe anyone is capable of prediction, I find the acts of humans today to be far more in line with savage behavior than people who lived in some modicum of peace with their surroundings, instead of destroying them.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Change that to badly dressed and you have the basis of modern Western religion.

In any case, I must admit that it does worry me quite a bit. It probably would not worry me as much if I was older, but lets say the world DOES end in 2012- it would end a week before my 25th birthday! I've barely begun to live yet!

I told my boyfriend that it's not my biological clock ticking, it's the Mayan calendar. He thinks I'm crazy. :P Oh well.. its good to be a little paranoid sometimes..
I have a friend who calls paranoia a higher form of thinking. Hope that helps.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENO-777 View Post
No, No, No, It's my wifes 57th birthday. hehehe
Depending on how you handle it, I would say that it could lead to some catastrophic results in your household. Tread lightly!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
My calender ends December 31st 2008. I should write a book about it. It may just be the end of the world. EW
Great jumping Jehosaphat! I just checked my calendar, and it's exactly the same. I think there's been some kind of conspiracy to keep this hidden from the general public. (We'd better act fast; there's literally no time to lose!)

Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,413 times
im scared what if this dose really happen even though they said it would happen in 2000 you never know this could be the last time we could be alive but i think its some people who need a get rich topic but you never know hopefully it dosent end i want to see time travel happen but if this dose happen what will we do

Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_cynthia View Post
im scared what if this dose really happen even though they said it would happen in 2000 you never know this could be the last time we could be alive but i think its some people who need a get rich topic but you never know hopefully it dosent end i want to see time travel happen but if this dose happen what will we do
Don't worry about it! If the world is actually going to come to an end, there's nothing we can do. And if it doesn't, it'll be business as usual. So getting yourself upset accomplishes nothing.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:03 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
If any believer in this mayan event, who has at least 50% equity in their home, signs their deed over to me, I will make their mortgage payments for the next 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality