Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
My first question to you, are you a Native American? You live on a little small island near Guam and I'm wondering what is it that you know about the history of the Native Americans in this country and if you're going to quote me, at least do it correctly and use the entire sentence, don't pick and choose my words to suit your agenda.
1. Yes. Although I admit I am only part Choctaw, not full. But to be fair, from looking at your photo I would be surprised if you were any more indian than I am.

2. I moved to this island only a few years ago. I grew up in Durant, Oklahoma - Home of the Choctaw Nation. Almost everyone from Durant, including myself, is at least part Choctaw and/or Creek. My mother was employed by the Choctaw nation, etc. You don't grow up there, and not know a thing or two about being indian.

What's more, I know a whole lot of indians from Tallaquah Oklahoma, home of the Cherokee Nation. This is the tribe you claim a heritage in, correct? Have you been there?

3. I didn't pick and choose your words. Read them again. You overstepped your mandate by a good bit. You said, "...you insult my people when you do that and we do not care about your Christianity or any other religion that you may believe in, we are the original caretakers of this land and that is our concern and that is the only concern that we have."

Later, you said "We do not care about your religious beliefs, those are yours not ours, however we do care about where we live and that is our only concern. "

Just who is this "we" you refer to? All Native Americans? All Cherokee? Or just you? In this post and your others, it looks to me like you're trying to speak for all indains.

Maybe I was a little to harsh in my response. If so, I apologize. But in the future, I hope you are more careful to clarify that you can only speak for yourself, and you don't have the authority to speak for "we."

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
the fact alone that you still refer to them as "indians" shows your intelligence regarding their heritage.. good job, christopher columbus.
I can only assume you said that because you had nothing better to say, not because you thought there was any truth in it. Surely as a person from Oklahoma you know that no one is offended by the use of the term indian, and you must also know that we still refer to ourselves as indian. (In fact, a good number of people who are only 1/32 indian claim to be indian, as well)

So you can sell the p.c. junk elsewhere. Indians aren't buying it.

Every hear of the Oklahoma Indian Affairs Commission? What about the Oklahoma Indian Gaming Commission? Oklahoma Indian Legal Services? Oklahoma Indian Bar Association? Oklahoma Indain Council on Aging? The Oklahoma Council on Indian Education?

There are 62 schools in Oklahoma that use the mascot "Indians". Cherokee High being one of them. Comanche and Navajo High being another. El Reno, Marietta, Plainview, Tishamingo, etc. Teams in the Tulsa area play in the Indian Bowl. (Northeastern State, in Talaquah, home of the Cherokee nation, is called the "Redman") Etc.

Indians are just not that politically correct. In Oklahoma, indians refer to themselves as indian. Being from there, you should know that. So I find it ironic when you point the finger and claim using the term indian "shows your intelligence regarding their heritage". Because there's a whole lot of indians that would be suprised that you think we don't know our heritage just because we commonly use the term indian.

In fact, I find your phrase " intelligence regarding their heritage" a bit ironic, because it confuses intelligence for knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 PM

19 posts, read 68,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
I went back to the article and re-read and this is what I found:

[SIZE=2]"And this is the Ninth and Last Sign: You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] "These are the Signs that great destruction is coming. The world shall rock to and fro. The white man will battle against other people in other lands -- with those who possessed the first light of wisdom. There will be many columns of smoke and fire such as White Feather has seen the white man make in the deserts not far from here. Only those which come will cause disease and a great dying.[/SIZE]>>

I'm sure that "blue star" spoken here is the Star Wormwood in the Bible. The Native American prophecy even touched on the destruction of America after the passage... this is also in the Bible!
Thats Hopi.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:17 AM

657 posts, read 1,600,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I can only assume you said that because you had nothing better to say, not because you thought there was any truth in it. Surely as a person from Oklahoma you know that no one is offended by the use of the term indian, and you must also know that we still refer to ourselves as indian. (In fact, a good number of people who are only 1/32 indian claim to be indian, as well)

So you can sell the p.c. junk elsewhere. Indians aren't buying it.

Every hear of the Oklahoma Indian Affairs Commission? What about the Oklahoma Indian Gaming Commission? Oklahoma Indian Legal Services? Oklahoma Indian Bar Association? Oklahoma Indain Council on Aging? The Oklahoma Council on Indian Education?

There are 62 schools in Oklahoma that use the mascot "Indians". Cherokee High being one of them. Comanche and Navajo High being another. El Reno, Marietta, Plainview, Tishamingo, etc. Teams in the Tulsa area play in the Indian Bowl. (Northeastern State, in Talaquah, home of the Cherokee nation, is called the "Redman") Etc.

Indians are just not that politically correct. In Oklahoma, indians refer to themselves as indian. Being from there, you should know that. So I find it ironic when you point the finger and claim using the term indian "shows your intelligence regarding their heritage". Because there's a whole lot of indians that would be suprised that you think we don't know our heritage just because we commonly use the term indian.

In fact, I find your phrase " intelligence regarding their heritage" a bit ironic, because it confuses intelligence for knowledge.
I've only got a couple things to say to that..

First of all, great job at honing your googling skills. It seems to have worked well for your profession of sounding smart on the internet.

"Indians aren't buying it" Who gave you the authority to speak on behalf of all "Indians"? You accused someone in another post of the same thing... surely your google skills do not afford you any better credentials.

Also.. It's Tahlequah, not "Tallaquah" or "Talaquah"... If you're going to act like you know about this place and claim "heritage" from being Native American, at least know how to spell it, much less say you "know a bunch of indians from" there. You'd think google would have informed you of that.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:05 AM

Thanks, Google and I are friends.

It turns out I was posting in the Oklahoma forums about indian tribes just last week.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/8333326-post132.html

So your stupid little theory about me pretending to be from Oklahoma doesn't quite ring true, does it?

Whatever. I don't care if you think most indians don't like being called indian, even after all the evidence I gave you. It's not true, but you can go to bed in Duncan feeling good about yourself and the fine work you've done on behalf of of those thinned skinned "Native Americans" you know so much about.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:28 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Actually the term Indian came about because Christopher Columbus thought he had discovered the West Indies and called the native people Indians, I'm not offended by that even though it's incorrect that was just his ignorance. Each and every different tribe has a name for itself and we originally went by those different names which would roughly translate into "the people", actually I much prefer, if I have to, being known as native people, or first people, but if you want to call me an Indian that doesn't bother me, it is only a word. Boxcar, I do apologize for assuming that you knew nothing of the native people of this land, one should not judge a person by their location, but I am assuming that you are still a young person and still have much to learn? I am 3/4 Tsalagi, Eastern Band, my great grandmother and her family were victims of the Trail of Tears, some survive, some didn't, those that did came back east, the other 1/4 of me is Irish, I am the Spiritual Elder of my family and when I used the term "we" I speak for my family and my family numbers in the thousands and I do have their authority to speak for them and no I do not speak for all native people, there are other Elders out there that are quite capable of speaking for their families, however, and as you know, Elders do come to counsel and will discuss things of importance for the whole nation.

And now we are getting off-topic, and to bring it back on topic, I ask you Boxcar, do you think it's fair to take the culture and legends of the native people of this land and try to make it fit into another culture and religion where it does not belong? This is what the doomsday Christianity has done with the Mayan calendar, the two do not belong together and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Last edited by ptsum; 04-18-2009 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
but I am assuming that you are still a young person and still have much to learn?
I'm not a young person, but I do still have much to learn.

Take care.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm not a young person, but I do still have much to learn.

Take care.
As do we all..

Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Actually the term Indian came about because Christopher Columbus thought he had discovered the West Indies and called the native people Indians, I'm not offended by that even though it's incorrect that was just his ignorance. Each and every different tribe has a name for itself and we originally went by those different names which would roughly translate into "the people", actually I much prefer, if I have to, being known as native people, or first people, but if you want to call me an Indian that doesn't bother me, it is only a word. Boxcar, I do apologize for assuming that you knew nothing of the native people of this land, one should not judge a person by their location, but I am assuming that you are still a young person and still have much to learn? I am 3/4 Tsalagi, Eastern Band, my great grandmother and her family were victims of the Trail of Tears, some survive, some didn't, those that did came back east, the other 1/4 of me is Irish, I am the Spiritual Elder of my family and when I used the term "we" I speak for my family and my family numbers in the thousands and I do have their authority to speak for them and no I do not speak for all native people, there are other Elders out there that are quite capable of speaking for their families, however, and as you know, Elders do come to counsel and will discuss things of importance for the whole nation.

And now we are getting off-topic, and to bring it back on topic, I ask you Boxcar, do you think it's fair to take the culture and legends of the native people of this land and try to make it fit into another culture and religion where it does not belong? This is what the doomsday Christianity has done with the Mayan calendar, the two do not belong together and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
In Canada the term we use is natives of the First Nations, which I believe is correct and offends none.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,712 times
This is crazy because I received a text message to my phone from no number or person, but the date was september, 2012. What is this? This was so spontaneous.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Default Ah, behold the redman savages!

Boxcar, I'm as lily-white as they come, purely English-Irish-Scottish (and a tad bit of spanish Conquistador Royalty a long ways back just to finalize the arrogance). My grandfather was a Canuck who, along with his NWMP brother, turned back some of those rascally redskins who thought it best to beat a hasty retreat after that little event at the Little Big Horn. You know, where they sorta stirred the Hornet's Nest called The US Cavalry?

You remember, where the "Injuns" beat the literal tar outa us white-eyes? Course, it helped your side immensely that our fearless leader just acted out his fantasies (his monstrously arrogant ego left no room in his diminished brain for anything like "fear" or "common sense"...) and, for quite a while, it was arrogantly called the Custer Battlefield Monument. Sorta like calling Flanders Fields the German Victory Memorial, eh? And amazingly he was lionized in all American history texts.

Anyhow, I grew up in a family that "religiously" denegrated indians, and yet we participated in their functional demise, their reservational incarceration, their subjugation to rez ministries. I later became friends with a number of you savages, and found that hunting with you and spending time with your families, absent the various modern wonders of us white men ("What? Your little daughter doesn't WANT this free Barbie doll?"), was time well spent. In particular, I enjoyed the Inupiat around Inuvik and Tuktuyaktuk, NWT (whatever it's been PC-renamed now) and learned a lot about polar bear behaviour from them; not so much from the local great white hunters with their helicopters, Weatherby magnums and radios.

It's so sad you guys have taken form so far below us whites, eh? Don't you just wish you could be us?

PS: to the OP: Dec 21, 2012? Just another day, less'n the swine flu topples the very last of us on that exact day. The Mayans weren't mystery God-readers, unless they were perhaps actual aliens. If so, they surely didn't act like well-developed technically advanced folk. Do those types usually sacrifice chickens to read the innards? That how you warp space and time to travel across the universe?

Spock! More chicken livers to Engineering! Make it so! Engage the Entrail Drive! Shove another virgin into the warp accumulator!

Last edited by rifleman; 04-29-2009 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality