Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 PM

354 posts, read 749,635 times

Advertisements

i honestly wish when that dreaded day comes i will be in my roadtrek somewhere, USA. i sure will find a good spot where people are most frantic like fools scampering around coz they think they will surely die that day. like they can escape death really. i personally think it is just gonna be like the y2k scare. though im lucky im in my own country(unlike US, our country was not run by computers that time... until now i think) and not the US during y2k coz i sure will be irritated with all the scary day hoopla.

i think it is plain stupidity to try to escape the inevitable like death or end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Most Mormons are probably familiar with prophecies written in the books of the Bible and other scriptures and with the fact that they almost invariably do happen. There are many yet unfulfilled prophecies in the scriptures that signs of the times indicate are close to being fulfilled, and it's not going to be pleasant for everyone. That's why I suggest being prepared as best one can.

The Mayan 2012 prediction isn't in any scriptures that I am aware of though...

(You sure do beat yourself about the face a lot without fear, must leave bruises?)
What biblical prophesies have happened? I'm not aware of any.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What biblical prophesies have happened? I'm not aware of any.
We're probably getting off topic here but search something like "biblical prophecy fulfilled" and you'll probably come up with hundreds of examples of biblical prophecy fulfilled. (Not that I necessarily agree with all of the interpretations you will find.)

The Book of Mormon which was written for our time also contains many prophecies, a lot of which have already been fulfilled. I am completely confident that the as yet unfulfilled prophecies for the Americas will be fulfilled unless there comes a great repenting and forsaking of pride, secularism, and immorality which are the sins that resulted in the total destruction of two other great nations in the Americas, the very sins which are rampant in our society today.

Valid prophecy must be fulfilled. Except that people involved can repent and change their behavior and thus change the consequences hanging over them, as it was with Jonah and Nineveh. (Jonah 3,4)

There were numerous prophecies of the coming of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. If you are serious about learning and not just stuck inside your own box of disbeliefs and wanting to express your personal disdain for books of scripture and the religious beliefs of others, here are a couple of links with a whole lot of information about prophesy and prophesy fulfilled, complete with working links to the verses of scripture referred to.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/search?type=words&last=prophecy+fulfilled&help=&wo =checked&search=prophecy+fulfilled&iw=sh&tx=checke d&af=checked&hw=checked&sw=checked&bw=1

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/search?type=words&last=prophecy+fulfilled&help=&wo =checked&search=prophecy&do=Search&iw=sh&tx=checke d&af=checked&hw=checked&sw=checked&bw=1

"And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:" Matthew 13: 14

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/matt/13/14#14

Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Default And He speakethâ„¢!!

Any frank and honest statistical study of "prophecy achievement" will always note that they are either sufficiently ambiguous, or are subject to multiple interpretations, or: they simply did not happen. When you compile the ambiguous ones with the ones that absolutely did not happen, it turns out that prophecies are not very reliable. Biblical ones even less so.

The old Nostradamus Marketing Theory I'm afraid: tabloidize it for fun and profit.

As regards 12/21/2012: I personally hope for a world-wide terror binge, folks careening around running up their unlimited platinum Amex cards, flying in to the Mustang Ranch en-mass in rented biz-jets, binging on really expensive single-malts and fresh but exotic sushi.

There will be, I predict (a rifleman™ prophecy! Watch it come true!) many efforts to cash in on people's fears and wild imaginings on this Mayan holiday. There's always a way to make money based on superstition (look at Christianty, for heaven's sake!). There WILL BE fear running in the streets.

There will be Mayan End-Times Parties in NYC and LA and London and Munich and Tehran. The government, and Father Obama, will be telling us all not to panic, but the new Obamanista Junior Peace Corps will be out in force that night, and for the weeks beforehand, "helping" us to "think correctly".

The next day will be a real let-down, and will herald the beginnings of the real fiscal collapse and "re-sort" we so desperately need to expose the greed-monger types once and for all.

(But, for your own safety, just don't try to sneak onto my property when you see my family and I quietly enjoying a good and peaceful meal that evening! That would be the "end-times" for you. Unambiguously.).

Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
(but, for your own safety, just don't try to sneak onto my property when you see my family and i quietly enjoying a good and peaceful meal that evening! That would be the "end-times" for you. Unambiguously.).
45-70?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
So I can stop building that underground bunker, huh?
Yup, in some ways their astronomy was more advanced than some modern systems. They knew of the 500 yr cycle, some modern astronomers also say the same thing. PTsum was/is correct, it is just the end of one cycle and the beginning of another. Alarmists will always find something to fret about.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:56 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Sorry, I cannot accept anything in the bible as proof of anything. I believe that in most cases prophesy fulfillment was simply written in after the fact.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I cannot accept anything in the bible as proof of anything. I believe that in most cases prophesy fulfillment was simply written in after the fact.
Your question was: "What biblical prophesies have happened?" How was I supposed to respond to that without a reference to the bible?

The birth of Jesus Christ was prophesied many times in the Old Testament, and in the Book of Mormon too. But I suppose because he's mentioned in the New Testament you can't accept the fact that he lived?

Why do you bother communicating with Christians? You know we accept the Bible; it is a translation of books written anciently, just as is any other ancient more secular book you may choose to accept as real.

Is it your thinking that the books of the Bible are fake, that they were not written anciently? Or do you think the authors were telling lies? If the latter, why not just as logically any other book written during that time period? At what period of time do you start accepting books as just as valid as books written today?

But I respect your right to close your mind and disbelieve as you will.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Your question was: "What biblical prophesies have happened?" How was I supposed to respond to that without a reference to the bible?

The birth of Jesus Christ was prophesied many times in the Old Testament, and in the Book of Mormon too. But I suppose because he's mentioned in the New Testament you can't accept the fact that he lived?
Err how could the book of Mormon predict Jesus' birth seeing it was scribed way after his (alleged) birth?
The Book of Mormon is a sacred text of the Latter Day Saint movement. It was first published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith, Jr. as The Book of Mormon:
Oh and BTW, the alleged prophesies in the OT are not prophesies or else the Jews would have accepted Jesus as Messiah.

It has been posted here multiple times that these alleged prophesies are only wishful thinking espoused by the xian church by a Jew no less referencing the Hebrew version of the OT and by a Judaic scholar.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM

354 posts, read 749,635 times
Quote:
haha u have got to be kidding right? and they say CHRISTIANS are delusional. book of revelation is full of fulfilled prophecies and even the birth, death and resurrection of Christ has been prophesized many diff ways and times in OT. OT has been fully fulflled. that's why we said OT is obsolete by the coming of CHRIST we now live in NT waiting for new prophecies to be fulfilled and the ultimate apocalypse.

someone said it will be end of times if someone tresspass in his house. well what do u expect from someone who llive in a GODless existence? i just cant fathom why someone can still be selfish amidst the "end of days scare" but atheist are soulless so i guess i dont expect human compassion from tthem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality