Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Artful dodge, Pastor Vizio. The question was, "How do you justify ignoring some ironclad laws in the Bible while acknowledging others?"

No response? I didn't think so.

The question of sexuality goes back to Genesis 2. God made Adam and Eve, and he defined marriage and sexuality. In the NT, Jesus affirmed God's position on marriage, as well.

The OT Laws of the Mosaic Covenant are not binding on a Christian today. That's why I do not believe that we need to abstain from eating shellfish or shaving the hair on the sides of my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
God has said differently. It doesn't surprise me though, to see you say otherwise.
God "said" nothing.

Men like you invented him and what he "said."

Old 09-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
God "said" nothing.

Men like you invented him and what he "said."

Old 09-24-2015, 02:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
And I accept that YOU believe that it is not. But that doesn't mean that it isn't so.

The onus is on you to show that it is harmful or unloving to be in a committed relationship with someone of the same gender, Viz. You can't.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:03 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
The question of sexuality goes back to Genesis 2. God made Adam and Eve, and he defined marriage and sexuality. In the NT, Jesus affirmed God's position on marriage, as well.

The OT Laws of the Mosaic Covenant are not binding on a Christian today. That's why I do not believe that we need to abstain from eating shellfish or shaving the hair on the sides of my face.
Which raises another question, "Why is there no law against pedophilia in the Old Testament. Perhaps the individuals who wrote Leviticus really enjoyed indulging in it and saw to it that no law against it would be added. Especially, since Numbers 31:18 practically encourages pedophilia:

Quote:
Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Which raises another question, "Why is there no law against pedophilia in the Old Testament. Perhaps the individuals who wrote Leviticus really enjoyed indulging in it and saw to it that no law against it would be added. Especially, since Numbers 31:18 practically encourages pedophilia:
Where? That says nothing about pedophilia. I can't imagine the sick mind that would think that.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
God does not know anything about sex.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,559,016 times
Quote:
Shall we also hold the same view regarding adulterers and fornicators, idolaters, thieves, greedy swindlers, drunkards, etc? Or should we call everyone out of their sin except homosexuals?

1 Cor 6:9-11 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
Quote:
I know some adulterers that say they can't be held to one woman -- that they were simply born that way. Do they get a pass?

Or the pedophile that says he can't help himself but to molest a child. He says he was created by God that way. Does he get a pass?
Quote:
It's a sexual sin. I'm merely asking why you think God smiles on one sexual sin but not others.
Quote:
God has said differently. It doesn't surprise me though, to see you say otherwise.
Quote:
God has called it sin. That's good enough.
Did you even READ the OP?

That was one of the greatest posts I've read in a long time.

Heartfelt and real.

IF you did actually read that and still responded in the manner you did, then I think you have just proven to me what everyone else has been always saying since I showed up.

MANY people on this site are anti-Christian and I really didn't really get the over-the-top animosity I was getting from some people. I still don't think it is justifiable in any way, but if YOU are the type of "Christian" they have been dealing with for almost 3 years now, then yeah, I can absolutely see where they are coming from.

PLEASE show me where Jesus went around condemning sinners. He was the FRIEND of sinners.

NOWHERE did the OP make ANY suggestion of it being OK. He was very open and vulnerably so, so that he might share the gospel. YOU could take a lesson from that kind of humble spirit that says "it is not about your own pleasure. It's about how you can use this to build God's kingdom".

Where in the Bible do you get it is YOUR job to "Call everyone out of their sin"?
PLEASE show me the verse.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM

384 posts, read 383,864 times
Quote:
I know some adulterers that say they can't be held to one woman -- that they were simply born that way. Do they get a pass?

Or the pedophile that says he can't help himself but to molest a child. He says he was created by God that way. Does he get a pass?
I think a better analogy is that the Bible says divorce is a sin. Divorce causes no visible harm (except in the case of a couple having children) In many cases it would seem that divorce is a good thing, and yet the Bible calls it a sin. This would be a better comparison in my view because the Bible says that practicing homosexuality is a sin, and yet, to my knowledge, there is no visible harm, or at least no harm that requires a law making it illegal.

And yet, no one seems incredibly interested in outlawing divorce.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:35 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,217 times
Quote:

I'll reflect that back at you:

You think God wants your hateful, intolerant beliefs to be forced on secular society, whether they want it or not.

Do you get a pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality