Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 08:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Only because you don't want to listen.............or look. There are a gazillion conversions in both directions. Fortunately there are many who are converting from both religions to a position of non belief.

Non believers don't have to take sides in your crusades or their jihads.
There is no such thing as a position of non-belief. You have to believe in something. You just choose to worship the creation and put your faith into fallible man. That's a recipe for failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:16 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Something tells me that 1.6 billion number would go down drastically if you exclude Muslims who were born and raised in Muslim countries and taught the ideology from birth. OTOH, you have people coming to Christ from all ages, even Muslims converting to Christianity. I rarely hear of Christians converting to Muslim.

But you're right. There is a degree of faith involved. Kinda like having the faith that your spouse or parents won't murder you in your sleep.
Jeff, my mom is a true Christian and I am an apostate. The old testament clearly states to kill apostates so it could happen that my mom would kill me, probably in my sleep. Do you ever feel like you are stuck in a game of live action role play gone too far?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as a position of non-belief. You have to believe in something. You just choose to worship the creation and put your faith into fallible man. That's a recipe for failure.
And you, and Vizio, and Eusie and GoCardinals are recipes for ... success??!?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:28 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
I believe the sun is real. I don't believe that Santa Claus is real.

Does that make me somehow defective?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:44 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Sure, the sun could be an illusion for all you know.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
So what is your position on fairies? Leprechauns? Freya? Zeus? Do you have a non-belief in them? Or do you believe in them?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:

Wadaya mean you don't believe in Santa Claus? He's more real than God. Hey, ever put up your socks by the fire place and in the morning there were presents? Ever done that with God? What did you get?

Old 11-19-2015, 10:00 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Oh heck. I must be an illusion then. You are having an illusion that I am posting a reply to your post.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
9/13 of the original states had official state religions. Why would they choose to limit state religion?
Because there were people of different religions in every state.

Quote:
And his name is Allah. 1.6 billion Muslims can't be wrong. Deep down you know that Allah is the true God, but you are in a state of rebellion against him, so you deny him and cling to a false god who will forgive your sins for free.
Facetiousness noted, but the message is important: If Dominionism isn't soundly and firmly rejected, and its "penetrat[ion into,] and transform[ation of] public life" in American secular society isn't soundly and firmly reversed, then why shouldn't a burgeoning Muslim majority expect that the growth of their numbers should imply a growth in their ability to assert their religious principles into American secular life? Heck, until recently, a majority of Rhode Islanders were Roman Catholic. If this nonsense that Vizio is saying is true, then why hasn't Roman Catholicism been the state religion of Rhode Island - why would there need to be parochial schools in RI when they could legitimately just make the state schools teach Catholicism? Answer: Because the arrogance of Dominionism is predominantly a corruption of Protestant Christianity.

Last edited by bUU; 11-20-2015 at 02:51 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 05:07 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
You are clearly wrong about this. As a moderator, I have to read as much as I can in ALL of the sub-forums. There are similarities in the tone and dedication that are evidenced in the many threads in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism (and in the other two religious sub-forum to a lesser degree). The Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum is different. It is a common event for somebody new to come in there and accuse the regulars of believing in something the new member wants to promote. Every single time, they are beaten down by the regulars. Every single one of them would tell you that you are dead wrong.

I remember a topic that came up a number of years ago where somebody wanted to know what to call a family member. He couldn't be a deist because he never mentioned God. If he was an Agnostic, you would never know because he never mentioned thinking about proof or non-proof of God. You couldn't call him an Atheist because nobody ever heard him say he didn't believe in God. He never in all his life mentioned religion. It was totally out of his life. In the end, somebody found a name for it. He was an Apathist. He was entirely apathetic to religion. (You can look it up.) There are indeed people who absolutely don't care about ANY belief. If you try to get them into a conversation about religion, they will shrug their shoulders and turn away. Granted, this is a VERY small number of people, but there are enough of them that a name for them exists. Religiously, these people absolutely believe nothing. Further, they absolutely don't care enough about anybody else's beliefs to even discuss it.

So, no, you don't have to believe in something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality