Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 11:43 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
From where you're sitting, I suppose you might think so.

Yet, for some bizarre reason, a reason so unfathomable that it has yet to be explained, even believers like yourself rely on reason, evidence, and science in every other area of your lives. It's only when it comes to worshiping tribal gods and having an unquestioning obedience to an ancient holy book when reason, evidence, and science suddenly becomes a "matter of faith."

Once you cross the line into religion, everything is turned upside down. There, in the twilight zone of religion, believing in things without evidence is the most logical thing to do but accepting as true that which possesses evidence is foolish.

Fortunately, I don't play by those rules.
When I see people being healed, God sending the exact same message between two believers (really can two people have the exact same hallucinations at the same time? I don't think so) complete strangers praying for me and speaking out my specific struggles, it's pretty logical to believe that something very real is going on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:46 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wrong. People at all levels of intelligence can read something and not comprehend what it says. The SMART people, when clued in, go back and re-read the post....think about what it says.... and realize "Hey! I got that wrong. Good thing they let me know so I don't continue to look like a dufus."
And I can read between the lines. The comment was meant as a slap in the face. Plain and simple. Totally uncalled for.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:47 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The founders certainly didn't want us to be forced, pressured and coerced into secularism which is exactly what atheists want. Atheists don't want equal respect for all religions. They want religion destroyed and buried.

This isn't about preventing a hotel from promoting Christianity. It's about a very small minority that harbors such hatred for the Word of God that they want it abolished from sight. My original argument stands. A physical book in a hotel drawer has ZERO affect on your life. OTOH it can and has prevented people from committing suicide.
You are not an Atheist, right? I am. How is it that you know more about being an Atheist than I do? I do concede that I cannot speak for other or all Atheists though but neither can you.

FWIW, I agree with you on your second point. That group, to me, are displaying an unreasonable intolerance, no different to the unreasonable intolerance displayed by some fundamentalist religious groups.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:49 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
When I see people being healed, God sending the exact same message between two believers (really can two people have the exact same hallucinations at the same time? I don't think so) complete strangers praying for me and speaking out my specific struggles, it's pretty logical to believe that something very real is going on here.
Does "something going on" necessarily mean god?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To be fair, you told him he lacks reading comprehension. The ability to comprehend what one is reading could be an indicator of intelligence, so to suggest one does not possess that ability could certainly be taken to say that they are stupid.
Yes, it could. And in many instances it would be true.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 11-20-2015 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Encouraged flaming in resulting posts.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes, it could. And in many instances it would be true.
I got called out for my reading comprehension last week. Turns out I was wrong, wrong, wrong. I admitted it and the person who called me out gave me a rep.

Some people can admit they're wrong.... and some people get upset. Such is human nature.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I doubt you can even identify most atheists in everyday life. I don't think I've ever seen an atheist mock a Christian in real life anywhere other than at a Christian demonstration promoting intolerance. This forum is far different than the real world and the mocking here goes both ways. You are as guilty as I.
Yes. In real life I never mock or denigrate Christians, not behind their backs and not to their faces. Even here I only 'mock' if you can call it that, out of mischief, not malice. I also throw the Theist argument back at them - "you cant prove it wrong".

I actually appreciate the need some folks have to worship. I don't appreciate fundamentalists shoving it sown my throat and I don't appreciate 'willing away' real facts in favor of fantasy. Creationism makes no sense at all and it totally unnecessary for worship. Stop claiming your God is an almighty, omnipotent, omnipresent creator and let him be himself. Let him be the spirit in your hearts, your comforter, your source of spiritual strength and get on with with your lives. Stop damaging peoples lives with fundamentalism.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I got called out for my reading comprehension last week. Turns out I was wrong, wrong, wrong. I admitted it and the person who called me out gave me a rep.

Some people can admit they're wrong.... and some people get upset. Such is human nature.
I could probably admit it too, if it ever happens.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:28 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I could probably admit it too, if it ever happens.

You did call a whale a large fish. You are very fortuanatly that you reside in Canada with us not having the death penalty for making such a huge error.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:29 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times
Quote:
Love how people think Christians believe things for no reason as if our faith is nothing more than wishful thinking.
Weren't you going to post 100 proofs for your version of Christianity? What ever happened to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality