Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Really? Guess all those Supreme Court justices were all hallucinating about this alleged 14th Amendment. Luckily we have a random dude on the internet to correct them.
The 14th Amendment doesn't say that we can't have religion in public life. Sorry...it just doesn't. It's been interpreted incorrectly to say that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 07:22 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You mean in countries like China and South Korea? Because they are such Christian majority countries, right?
You need to work on your reading comprehension. The point was, most people who are religious were raised that way. Why do you think religion tends to follow regions? Why is the Middle East mostly Muslim? Why is the US and Europe mostly Christian? You need to take your blinders off Jeff. You also need to learn how to read and comprehend what someone is saying. Here is what I said, to refresh your memory.

"Something tells me that the number of Christians would go down dramatically if you exclude Christians who were born and raised in Christian majority countries and taught the ideology from birth"

Do you not see the difference in what I posted, and what you replied to? You said, "Something tells me that 1.6 billion number would go down drastically if you exclude Muslims who were born and raised in Muslim countries and taught the ideology from birth"

I simply showed that this would be the case with any religion.

Why the need to constantly change the goal posts Jeff? Because you realize how ridiculous what you said was, and now you are trying to back out of it?

Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
"Hey look Pop, over there it's another atheist mocking Christians!"

Yes Bobby, they pretty much all tend to be that way."
I doubt you can even identify most atheists in everyday life. I don't think I've ever seen an atheist mock a Christian in real life anywhere other than at a Christian demonstration promoting intolerance. This forum is far different than the real world and the mocking here goes both ways. You are as guilty as I.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The 14th Amendment doesn't say that we can't have religion in public life. Sorry...it just doesn't. It's been interpreted incorrectly to say that, though.
The 14th Amendment says that the States have to comply with all of the provisions of the Constitution, including the 1st Amendment. (I tend to think that Supreme Court Justices understand these things much better than amateurs who haven't even taken a single class in Constitutional Law.)

Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The 14th Amendment says that the States have to comply with all of the provisions of the Constitution, including the 1st Amendment. (I tend to think that Supreme Court Justices understand these things much better than amateurs who haven't even taken a single class in Constitutional Law.)
Well, you know Mensa, people always think they are constitutional lawyers when they think they can use it to their advantage. They think that reading about the constitution on their Christian site of choice is good enough to make determinations.

On the other hand, I and others like myself, will let the constitutional lawyers do their job. We may not always agree with what they do, but we won't pretend to know better than they do.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Funny, it's never been a problem for many decades until atheists started raising a big stink over it. Really, how does a Bible in your hotel room affect an atheist's life one degree? You have the freedom to ignore it, but maybe just maybe some people are grateful that it was there for them.
You're exactly right, jeff. However, it works both ways. The lack of a Bible in thine hotel room shouldn't affect your life either. You have the freedom to bring your personal Good Book anywhere you want

Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
But...but....those amateurs stay in the Holiday Inn Far-Right Fundamentalist Express.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I once thought somebody was just kidding and fooling around when they talked about the god Mazda.

I was wrong.
On a more serious note, I have recently changed my opinion regarding how God sees homosexuals. I used to think they were all doomed to hell. Now, He has helped to see them from a different perspective. I myself have not stopped sinning (although I do believe I sin less, to a lesser degree, and have a much stronger desire not to sin) since I gave my life to Jesus Christ, but I do not doubt my salvation. I don't believe any sin dooms someone to hell (including homosexuality), except not believing. I'll leave the Judging part to Christ as to who gets in and who doesn't. I believe a strong desire to repent factors in, but again, I cannot know His mind.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're exactly right, jeff. However, it works both ways. The lack of a Bible in thine hotel room shouldn't affect your life either. You have the freedom to bring your personal Good Book anywhere you want
Exactly. They do not see it that way, however. Their religion takes precedence over anyone else's beliefs or non beliefs. Jeff and those like him on these boards, are only interested in people respecting THEIR religious beliefs. They are the same people who would be pitching a fit if a hotel chain put Quran's in every room.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Yet, you continue to argue as if you're a Constitutional expert! The fact is, the 14th Amendment does not create this mythical separation of church and state that has never existed. The 1st Amendment didn't create it, and it is found nowhere in Scripture. Allowing Bibles to be handed out does not take anyone's rights away, nor does it create any kind of state religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality