Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 12:50 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To be fair, you told him he lacks reading comprehension. The ability to comprehend what one is reading could be an indicator of intelligence, so to suggest one does not possess that ability could certainly be taken to say that they are stupid.
Recent studies have shown that vigorous stretching isn't really as good at preventing injuries as we once thought. That means that the kind of stretch you're making here might feel good, but it doesn't really help anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 12:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Sure you were :
No. I really wasn't. Oftentimes one may refer to "public life" as being a public servant. That's what I meant.
Quote:

Sure there is, right there in the first amendment.

Funny...I've read teh 1st Amendment and it says nothing about a separation of church and state.
Quote:
Yes, because the topic isn't about people handing out bibles. It is about government facilities illegally endorsing the marketing of certain religious groups.
Actually, it's about a ministry stocking Bibles in a hotel room. I've never gotten offended at the thought of a Book of Mormon in a Marriott, and I don't understand why some people manufacture some sort of grief over this silly notion of a Bible being in a drawer.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:58 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. I really wasn't. Oftentimes one may refer to "public life" as being a public servant. That's what I meant.
I thought you worked at a small-town church. Did you get hired as a government employee recently?

Quote:
Funny...I've read teh 1st Amendment and it says nothing about a separation of church and state.
Yes it does. It prohibits the government both from restricting religious worship and also from getting involved in religious marketing for any particular group or for religion in general. It doesn't have the phrase you're talking about in there, but much like the Bible lacking the word trinity, that doesn't mean the concept isn't there.

Quote:
I've never gotten offended at the thought of a Book of Mormon in a Marriott, and I don't understand why some people manufacture some sort of grief over this silly notion of a Bible being in a drawer.
If it is really no big deal why all the anger at making the government follow the law here? There's something strange at work where this is simultaneously no big deal and a giant atheist attack on religious freedom depending on which side of the flipping or flopping a particular post is on. I'd expect more consistency if there were an actual rational basis for your views on the subject.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And I can read between the lines. The comment was meant as a slap in the face. Plain and simple. Totally uncalled for.
Did you not read my last post to you, Jeff? I suggest you go back and check it out. It wasn't meant as a slap to the face, it was meant to get you to go back and read what was written, and respond to that, instead of responding to something that was never said. I even apologized to you for wording it the way I did.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
I retract my comment on stretching. Goal posts are heavy to move by hand, better be sure to limber up before trying.

Yes it does. It prohibits the government both from restricting religious worship and also from getting involved in religious marketing for any particular group or for religion in general.
So what religion is the government "marketing" in this case? Because it says nothing against allowing expression of religion.
Quote:

It doesn't have the phrase you're talking about in there, but much like the Bible lacking the word trinity, that doesn't mean the concept isn't there.
Completely different thing. The Bible actually talks about the Trinity, and we can derive it from Biblical texts. The Constitution, on the other hand explicitly states what the Federal government can and can't do.
Quote:

If it is really no big deal why all the anger at making the government follow the law here?
Because it's not the law. The chief tactic of the liberal left for years has been to find an activist judge to create law where there was none.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:16 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Was it a whale that supposedly swallowed Jonah? Not a big fishy?

Well then. That makes it believable!

But, I guess I made a biblical boo-boo.

I know! I'll stone myself.
Actually depends on which translation of the Christian Bible. In the story of Jonah in the Qur'an Chapter 37 the translation still uses "big Fish".

Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Actually depends on which translation of the Christian Bible. In the story of Jonah in the Qur'an Chapter 37 the translation still uses "big Fish".

Learn something new each and every day. Now I stand corrected. I will not stone myself until Trudeau legalizes it

Old 11-20-2015, 01:26 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
You seem awfully worked up about something which has ZERO meaning. That's because you know it doesn't - if secularism wins here, it means another case where the government doesn't get to market your religious beliefs for you.
Well put. The reality is that Christian understanding of how Dominionism affects non-Christians parallels White understanding of how racism affects Blacks, and parallels male understanding how sexism affects women. Can such understanding be cultivated and grown? Of course, but only if the person who is devoid of the personal experience of being that minority is willing to work at building that understanding, and that starts with acknowledging that the injustice exists.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:28 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,991,147 times
All this talk about religion and state. Do you not have religious holidays in your country? Like Christmas, Easter, Good Friday to name a few? Are Sundays not considered a religious day off?

Old 11-20-2015, 01:30 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
All this talk about religion and state. Do you not have religious holidays in your country? Like Christmas, Easter, Good Friday to name a few? Are Sundays not considered a religious day off?
For those of religious persuasion, sure. For those of us who are not religious, they are simply "holidays" and "weekends". Christmas, Easter, and other holidays are a time for family to get together, and a time to share with your kids, or just do whatever you want. They aren't a religious day for the non religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality