Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 09:08 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yet, you continue to argue as if you're a Constitutional expert! The fact is, the 14th Amendment does not create this mythical separation of church and state that has never existed. The 1st Amendment didn't create it, and it is found nowhere in Scripture. Allowing Bibles to be handed out does not take anyone's rights away, nor does it create any kind of state religion.
The Bible has zero say in how the country operates.

It sounds like you are indeed a Dominionist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:17 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There is no such thing as a position of non-belief. You have to believe in something. You just choose to worship the creation and put your faith into fallible man. That's a recipe for failure.
What is it with you people and worship? Do you even know what the word means?

Believing in something is not anywhere near the same thing as worshiping something. I don't worship ANYTHING. Nothing. Nada. Nichego. Kuch naheen.

There isn't anything that I love, revere, and drool over enough to worship it.

Just because YOU worship a god doesn't mean everyone else has to worship something, too. This is a rather big problem among some believers -- their inability to step outside of their own lives even for just a moment and imagine what it's like to be someone else. This seemingly vacant aspect of your humanity is also why it's so difficult to believe in a moral system based on empathy rather than on some cold, distant, angry, and fallible gods.

Yeah ... your God is just as fallible as anyone considering how badly he apparently FUBARed his own creation. So much so, in fact, that he felt he had to wipe it all out at least once. According to your mythology, he's going to get peeved yet again with his screw-ups and wipe everything out a second time.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Sure, the sun could be an illusion for all you know.
Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to absurdity"; pl.: reductiones ad absurdum), also known as argumentum ad absurdum (Latin: argument to absurdity), is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that a statement is true by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its denial, or in turn to demonstrate that a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance.

You know when you've already lost an argument when you resort to using fallacies as a rebuttal.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
"Something tells me that the number of Christians would go down dramatically if you exclude Christians who were born and raised in Christian majority countries and taught the ideology from birth"

Do you not see the difference in what I posted, and what you replied to? You said, "Something tells me that 1.6 billion number would go down drastically if you exclude Muslims who were born and raised in Muslim countries and taught the ideology from birth"

I simply showed that this would be the case with any religion.
Exactly right. I have yet to hear a rational response to this point by the religious.

If Jeff had been born in Afghanistan, for example, rather than in the U.S., chances are great that he'd still be fervently defending his religion--but as a MUSLIM.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 AM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to absurdity"; pl.: reductiones ad absurdum), also known as argumentum ad absurdum (Latin: argument to absurdity), is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that a statement is true by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its denial, or in turn to demonstrate that a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance.

You know when you've already lost an argument when you resort to using fallacies as a rebuttal.
Well I guess that means you and your friends here have surrendered to losing all the time since this fallacy is commited against me in the vast majority of replies:

Argumentum ad hominem - attacking the person making the stand and not the stand itself.

I've had to point this out MANY times. My personal life has nothing to do with the discussion. Even saying I need reading comprehension is an attack on the person.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What is it with you people and worship? Do you even know what the word means?

Believing in something is not anywhere near the same thing as worshiping something. I don't worship ANYTHING. Nothing. Nada. Nichego. Kuch naheen.

There isn't anything that I love, revere, and drool over enough to worship it.

Just because YOU worship a god doesn't mean everyone else has to worship something, too. This is a rather big problem among some believers -- their inability to step outside of their own lives even for just a moment and imagine what it's like to be someone else. This seemingly vacant aspect of your humanity is also why it's so difficult to believe in a moral system based on empathy rather than on some cold, distant, angry, and fallible gods.

Yeah ... your God is just as fallible as anyone considering how badly he apparently FUBARed his own creation. So much so, in fact, that he felt he had to wipe it all out at least once. According to your mythology, he's going to get peeved yet again with his screw-ups and wipe everything out a second time.

I believe every morning that my car will start. I neither worship or pray to it. I have had a car or two that I did not have that belief. It was all based on experience. There are so many things I believe in that I do not worship, that a person can get a personal satisfaction walking in nature, that animals must be treated with respect, that friends are to be cherished and family looked after. None of that involves worshipping.

They seem to not be able to comprend someone not having or needing something to worship, that someone can have morals from other than a special book or that you can not belief in something without hating it. I wonder if they can even comprend that we do understand where they are coming from in their beliefs.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Wadaya mean you don't believe in Santa Claus? He's more real than God. Hey, ever put up your socks by the fire place and in the morning there were presents? Ever done that with God? What did you get?
Heh heh.

God is the anti-Santa because you're supposed to give and sacrifice for him. God comes first, after all.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Definition of worship

the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.

In the absence of a deity, how can their be worship?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I wonder if they can even comprend that we do understand where they are coming from in their beliefs.
Yep, your post explained it spot-on. Of course, they always seem to forget that the vast majority of atheists were once believers -- and quite often, rather devout believers. As a result, that particular type of believer thinks that they have some kind of monopoly on religion, religious knowledge, and the experience of being a believer. An atheist couldn't possibly know what it's like!

And ... if an atheist is a former believer, they were never really believers in the first place. Which is just a way for believers to throw a life preserver to their religious beliefs. Because how could their religion be true and their God be so bloody awesome if even a single person leaves the faith?

Predictable.

So predictable.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Well I guess that means you and your friends here have surrendered to losing all the time since this fallacy is commited against me in the vast majority of replies:

Argumentum ad hominem - attacking the person making the stand and not the stand itself.

I've had to point this out MANY times. My personal life has nothing to do with the discussion. Even saying I need reading comprehension is an attack on the person.
Sorry, but no.

I've never seen anyone write a post to you that ONLY attacked you -- and your definition of "attack" or ad hominem is quite a bit different than for the rest of us.

Simply having what you perceive to be an insult embedded in a much longer post rebutting your position does not make the entire rebuttal invalid.

However, your comment about the sun was the only argument you made and the entire comment was a part of the fallacy. Which makes your little come-back an invalid argument.

Plus, an attack on your faith, your God, and your religion is not an attack on you. Unfortunately, most fundamentalists and evangelicals seem unable to make that distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality