Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 02:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,602,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

Keep believing what your pastor shoves down your throat about atheists/agnostics, Jeff. It just makes you look all the more ignorant when you ignore what ACTUAL atheists/agnostics tell you about their beliefs and why they hold them. We are not attacking God (as we have told you repeatedly), we are attacking the people who think they deserve special treatment for being religious. We are attacking organized religion, or certain belief systems that are harmful. (Not all of us do these things) That is not the same thing as attacking God.
Oh … The chief spokesmen for the "New Atheist" movement certainly DO "attack God" …

see, again: Dawkins, Harris, et al. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,253,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You would think I could find just one, just one who could tolerate a different of opinion on religious topics and didn't come off completely disrespectful and rude.
Respect is earned.

Rude is subjective.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:43 PM

20,105 posts, read 13,567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Oh … The chief spokesmen for the "New Atheist" movement certainly DO "attack God" …

see, again: Dawkins, Harris, et al. ...
Atheists, by definition, do not believe gods exist -- much less your particular one. Therefore your god can not be hated, attacked, etc., by us.

We disagree, sometimes forcefully, with beliefs about god and practices which god is used as a justification for. We do not buy the justifications or "proofs" for many theistic assertions.

You can debate these criticisms on their actual merits with respect to actual evidence or lack thereof ... or you can deflect by claiming we are taking positions against things we don't actually have a position against.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:44 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,759,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Does your side ever respond to substantive condemnation of the perspective for which you advocate, when accompanied by a very relevant analogy, without trying to deflect, dodge or otherwise evade responding to the condemnation with integrity?

Regardless: Slavery isn't racism. And neither is a crutch.
Substantive? Sorry but your perspective is the one grounded in fantasy. Even non-believers here chimed in that atheists are going too far with this latest stunt. But you don't care about the fallout as long your religion of secularism gets it way every time. Slavery and racism are often used interchangeably as crutches to prop up your side as being the more moral position.

Quote:

Women serving as clergy. TWO. Stoning adulterers. THREE. Shall I go on?
I don't see Christians outraged over Joyce Myer. Stoning? Newflash, Jesus fullfilled the OT convenant. Those laws don't apply anymore.

Quote:

Good thing I didn't say that. But you're still trying to slither away from acknowledging that you have regularly refused to acknowledge the minority religious experience in this country. Your callous disregard for the experiences of others is perhaps another worthless portion of Christianity.

What disregard? I have said on this very thread that I would have no problem with other religious texts existing in a hotel room. I could simply ignore them. Guess what, atheists can do the exact same thing. BTW, "slither" is just another crutch.

Quote:

No, we were successful in doing so. You just refuse to acknowledge it.

Yet, during that time, Muslims, and Jews, and atheists, etc., have all regularly been subjected to reprehensible treatment at the hands of Dominionist-afflicted society.

Even though you cannot bring yourself to admit it.
I fail to see how the Gideon Bible = reprehensible treatment. Typical blowing things out of realistic proportions.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:

No. What I wrote is correct. It doesn't fit the corrupt narrative you prefer, but it is correct, nonetheless.

Dawkins is one atheist. You implied that atheists in general are as you characterized them. It isn't even worth arguing with you about whether what you said about one atheist is true or not, because that is one person. The fact that you hinge your entire characterization of atheists on one person is beyond ridiculous. It borders on willful deception.

My problem with this situation is not "atheists" (in general, per se) …
I have some very good friends who are "atheists" …

I oppose the missionary zealot "New Atheists" …

(BTW, those guys are not embraced by all "atheists," either …
see: Michael Ruse, "Why I Think the New Atheists Are a Bloody Disaster" … )

Old 12-01-2015, 02:45 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,759,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Respect is earned.

Rude is subjective.
Respect should never have to be earned.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:46 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Respect is earned.
More precisely: Respect can be lost, and the doggedly abusive advocacy of fundamentalist Christianity by fundamentalist Christians in this thread reflects an indefensible lack of respect for people of other religions, which has lost for those specific people the default respect they innately had.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Respect should never have to be earned.
I agree …

ALL human beings must be respected for their humanity …
The position/recognition that all human beings have "certain inalienable rights" endowed by The Creator is a CENTRAL feature of our society and guv'mint …

Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM

20,105 posts, read 13,567,898 times
Quote:
More precisely: Respect can be lost, and the doggedly abusive advocacy of fundamentalist Christianity by fundamentalist Christians in this thread reflects an indefensible lack of respect for people of other religions, which has lost for those specific people the default respect they innately had.
Well said.

Respect is usually the best default, but it is not an inviolable right, either. When one behaves disrespectably, one can no longer either expect or demand respect.

The problem then becomes that sometimes people will assume that you are simply not being respectful because you're a turd or imagining offense where none exists.

Last edited by mordant; 12-01-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-01-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Respect is usually the best default, but it is not an inviolable right, either. When one behaves disrespectably, one can no longer either expect or demand respect.

I confess that I do have little to no respect for the vituperative antics of the zealot missionary "New Atheist" guys …

(Prof. Dr. Michael Ruse, himself a professed "atheist," agrees with me that "the 'New Atheists' are a bloody disaster" …)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality