Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 08:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Typical atheist mockery and goading. Your side won't even define what is acceptable evidence!! Too afraid you would be backed into a corner and have to admit God is real.
Jeff, you have a lot of nerve making a statement. I open up another thread which I gave you a link to, so to see if there's any common definition of evidence that can be discussed.

You choose not even to respond with what you felt evidence consisted of.

You're disingenuous and quite frankly not very Christian like in the way you treat honor. You spout off this kind of stuff when you had lots of opportunity to contribute constructively rather than hide your head in the sand.

I ask an honest question, and I also asked for an honest discussion. You instead keep making these type of comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,305,300 times
Quote:
Typical atheist mockery and goading. Your side won't even define what is acceptable evidence!! Too afraid you would be backed into a corner and have to admit God is real.
No jeff, here's the only argument for god I've ever really heard, simplified: 'Life exists, and most life seems to work at least fairly well, therefore life must have been created by god.' In other words, life exists, therefore god does. Without an observable or otherwise tangible definition of god the word means nothing.

While it can be argued that most life works at least fairly relative to it's ecological niche, only the most simple organsims -bacteria, insects, etc.- are evenly remotely close to perfection. All complex, slow-reproducing organisms have significant flaws because the more complex something is the more things can go wrong. Also, environments typically change more quickly than complex organisms can evolve, hence we humans are plagued by many 'design' flaws.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
What the...?

How on earth are we supposed to "define" what's acceptable evidence when we have no idea even what category that "evidence" is in, much less specifically what it's supposed to be???

We're all supposed to say "acceptable evidence is if you say X"? So...then...what would X be? We have no clue what you're even talking about as far as evidence. What the heck are we even supposed to be defining here...

You never had actual "evidence" and I think you're very surprised that anybody followed up on this, it sounded good to you at the time but now you have to backpedal like crazy and when backpedaling didn't work you resorted to turning and pointing the finger back at people YOU promised to produce the evidence to.

Why not just admit it so we can move on from here, for (no pun intended) heaven's sake.

OR if I'm 100% wrong on this, produce the evidence.

At this point in all this silliness, it's one or the other.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
What the...?

How on earth are we supposed to "define" what's acceptable evidence when we have no idea even what category that "evidence" is in, much less specifically what it's supposed to be???

We're all supposed to say "acceptable evidence is if you say X"? So...then...what would X be? We have no clue what you're even talking about as far as evidence. What the heck are we even supposed to be defining here...

You never had actual "evidence" and I think you're very surprised that anybody followed up on this, it sounded good to you at the time but now you have to backpedal like crazy and when backpedaling didn't work you resorted to turning and pointing the finger back at people YOU promised to produce the evidence to.

Why not just admit it so we can move on from here, for (no pun intended) heaven's sake.

Jeff won't even take part in the discussion thread of defining the word evidence.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:13 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
I, who you consider to be an atheist, have said I'd happily consider your world view more valid if you post evidence. As for how I define evidence, it's really just any sort of data or statistic that suggests a given thing consistently. If it can't be proven consistently, the evidence isn't very strong. It's not an unreasonable standard by any means.

So, I've expressed openness which is what you've been asking for; I'm curious why you haven't posted, or why you only posted on the people who you could come back with a 'mean atheists' comment. It's almost as if you're avoiding the problem. Don't make threats you can't back. It's a bad judge of character.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:36 AM

63,829 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jeff knows in his heart of hearts that what he considers proof is NOT what we consider proof. That is his problem. He is trying to get you to accept that what he considers proof is proof you would accept. It is a silly game and has no useful outcome. The issue of what constitutes evidence is discussed in another thread, but jeff will not agree with the conclusions in it.
Quote:
You only respond to those who give you an excuse not to post. You know why you do that. You know your so-called proof is nothing of the kind. You are ashamed of it. You have been educated enough by others here to recognize that what you were taught to accept as proof is not.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
What the...?

Yes that's exactly right. If the only thing that will convince you is God coming to you personally and shooting lightning bolts from his hands, then game over. I don't have evidence on that magnitude.

Quote:

And how do you know I don't have evidence? You don't, but thanks for demonstrating that you are another atheist who will put me on the defense with bold completely unfounded assumptions.

Quote:

How about you move on?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Not if you knew the audience would automatically reject it.
So you're calling me a liar. Not good, Jeff. You are only making yourself look worse.

SMH. You've lied about my faith now you're calling me a liar.

YOU won't post the proof...now you're trying to make me look weak. Not.cool.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-05-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Yes that's exactly right. If the only thing that will convince you is God coming to you personally and shooting lightning bolts from his hands, then game over. I don't have evidence on that magnitude.

And how do you know I don't have evidence? You don't, but thanks for demonstrating that you are another atheist who will put me on the defense with bold completely unfounded assumptions.

How about you move on?
Jeff why won't you address the legitimate question I ask of you?

In order for people to have an intelligent discussion, there has to be a common understanding of the words used. For that reason I opened the thread on how to define the word evidence, and gave you a link to it. You're understanding what gives evidence and my understanding may be different, and if its different we will NEVER get to any common ground. However if we can agree on what constitutes evidence, that will be a huge step forward in advancing the conversation.

So I ask you, Jeff, why will you not address that issue? There's nothing to lose, and neither you nor I will be wrong if we end up not agreeing on what constitutes evidence. If that is the case, there will be little that'd be gained by discussing that.

If on the other hand however we come to an agreement what constitutes evidence, future discussions can get advanced with that agreement.

So Jeff, why won't you take part in that discussion?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:42 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
You know, this is the type of comment you made to me earlier, which I believe also marked the last time you responded to me.

As another poster pointed out, most of your last posts have been responses to relatively easy things that also opened up a door for you to call out someone on being somehow rude. While frankly, I think there has been little rudeness. In fact, it's actually quite rude of you to boast about some amazing evidence then withhold it from everyone.

So, it is true, none of us know you have evidence. But here's the thing; multiple requests to see it have resulted in you not sharing it. Often, you change the subject like you do here. It starts off about the evidence but ends in you feeling offended. How can anyone logically deduce that you do have evidence when you've shown this much reluctance to show it?

For the record, I'm agnostic. You've lied about my faith. And your evidence (withholding the truth is a form of lying).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality