Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 07:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
If I were to ban all religions from earth, I would actually exempt Buddhism. I know of no instance in which Buddhists have forced themselves down our throats or committed atrocities and so on. I could be wrong (ignorant) of course.
Google 'Atrocities in Burma/Myanmar'

or, better yet, "Genocide in Burma'

Most people have NO idea of what is occurring in one of the most isolated countries on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 PM

20,021 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
If I were to ban all religions from earth, I would actually exempt Buddhism. I know of no instance in which Buddhists have forced themselves down our throats or committed atrocities and so on. I could be wrong (ignorant) of course.
There are instances of Buddhist violence / aggression although I think it's usually politicians manipulating Buddhism -- notably in Myanmar ... in most places and times though Buddhism is the least violent of the religions and the most consistent in teaching nonviolence. For one thing it does not have a deity to appease or prove loyalty to -- or to use as a justification for bad behavior. To get most Buddhists to take up arms you would have to provoke self-defense from them.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There are instances of Buddhist violence / aggression although I think it's usually politicians manipulating Buddhism -- notably in Myanmar ... in most places and times though Buddhism is the least violent of the religions and the most consistent in teaching nonviolence. For one thing it does not have a deity to appease or prove loyalty to -- or to use as a justification for bad behavior. To get most Buddhists to take up arms you would have to provoke self-defense from them.
All devotees of all religious faith traditions are fallible human beings …
This is true even for Buddhists …

Old 12-04-2015, 07:29 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Actually you don't have transition fossils from whales to land based animals.
Funny you should mention that. Indeed we do not have any transitional fossils from whales to to land based animals. That's because whales haven't transitioned to land based. However, we do have transitional fossils of land based animals transitioning into whales!

Elephants are not related to whales, they are related to the Dassie. Whales do have a land based relative - the hippo. Well, all mammals descended from a common ancestor but that makes us all mammalian.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Thanks for the Buddhist updates. So I'm not really that far off then?

Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 PM

103 posts, read 503,509 times
Dogs have them on the outside

Old 12-04-2015, 08:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiepants View Post
Dogs have them on the outside
Yes they would have trouble looking them otherwise wouldn't they?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:38 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Your choice.

As I said, if I had proof I'd post it in a nanosecond.
Not if you knew the audience would automatically reject it.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yea, how dare her ask you to actually post the proofs you claim to have! How dare she!

You are the one refusing to post the proof you claim you have. If it is indeed proof or evidence, then what we think would be irrelevant. So post it, or don't. By not posting it you are just fueling the fire.
Typical atheist mockery and goading. Your side won't even define what is acceptable evidence!! Too afraid you would be backed into a corner and have to admit God is real.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Typical atheist mockery and goading. Your side won't even define what is acceptable evidence!! Too afraid you would be backed into a corner and have to admit God is real.
Jeff, as you know, if you've paid attention at all, I am not an atheist. I just don't hold to the same concept of a God as you do.

There are many who believe in a Creator/God/Other/All-thingy that differs radically from the one you've adopted from your holy book of choice.

I, for one, cannot offer a single, solitary "proof" of my ever-evolving concept of what might constitute a God-thing.

Nor can you for yours.

So, man up and stop pretending you can. Admit you believe what you believe because you're convinced the bible is, like, gospel. And you have no desire - despite whatever compelling evidence may be proffered to the contrary - to alter those beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality