Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
True, most will not care...and Jesus tells us that.

But a few will--I've met some of them (Jane Fonda is one of note)--and it's only those few we're looking for.
If you're any sort of fundamentalist you aren't looking for Jane Fonda as a notch in your gospel gun.
Quote:
I had no intention of going public about my spiritual journey and in no way wanted to be tagged with the fundamentalism that Born-Again Christianity has come to be associated with. I found myself having to defend my action before I was entirely sure what it meant. I did feel reborn, I couldn’t deny that, but it had nothing to do with the perceived doctrines of fundamentalist Christianity.(from her website, emphases mine).
If you're not a literalist, then yes, she's one of those atheists who grew up indifferent to faith and never really explored it one way or the other. Good for her; whatever gets her through her days so long as it's respectful of others, which it appears to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If you're any sort of fundamentalist you aren't looking for Jane Fonda as a notch in your gospel gun.

If you're not a literalist, then yes, she's one of those atheists who grew up indifferent to faith and never really explored it one way or the other. Good for her; whatever gets her through her days so long as it's respectful of others, which it appears to be.

I missed where I said I was a fundamentalist.

Fundamentalists (that is, the modern American strain--which is NOT what "Fundamentalism" meant when it was first coined in the late 1800s) are actually a minority in the overall world Christian community.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:13 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
I missed where I said I was a fundamentalist.

Fundamentalists (that is, the modern American strain--which is NOT what "Fundamentalism" meant when it was first coined in the late 1800s) are actually a minority in the overall world Christian community.
Thanks RK, I didn't recall what your flavor was and said that mainly for the plentiful fundie lurkers here.

I actually don't mind when an existentially unmindful / indifferent person becomes more attentive and aware and thoughtful, even if that means they leave a default atheism and take a journey through theism as a result. Not every atheist is what they are based on reflection.

I can tell that Jane is thoughtful now because of her serious efforts to consider these matters and her instinctive rejection of patriarchy and other baggage that goes with literalism. Were she to live long enough I think she would simplify back to atheism in the end, because ultimately life can be adequately explained and infused with wonder without the supernatural. But theism is an identity as well as a belief, and sometimes it's costly to change identities, costlier than it's worth.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:42 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
True, most will not care...and Jesus tells us that.

But a few will--I've met some of them (Jane Fonda is one of note)--and it's only those few we're looking for.

First, give irrefutable evidence that bible jesus even existed. Then we can start to consider what he is alleged to have said.

Reaching out for Jane Fonda is not supportive of your stance, noting her history.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
First, give irrefutable evidence that bible jesus even existed. Then we can start to consider what he is alleged to have said.

Reaching out for Jane Fonda is not supportive of your stance, noting her history.
Jane Fonda is an excellent example because of her history.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Religion is a very personal thing and proselytizing is a quick way to offend. This is even the case between various Christian denominations. Fundamentalists don't want mainline Christians trying to convince them that not everything in the Bible should be taken literally and that evolution and global warming might actually be scientific facts. Mainline Christians don't want fundamentalists trying to convert them. Catholics don't want Protestants trying to convert them and vice versa. All Christians would have an aversion to a Muslim trying to force Islam on them. Atheists don't want any religion foisted on them and faithful people are usually uncomfortable if atheists attempt to try to convince them there is no God.

All in all, religion is so personal that people need to be open to having that conversation for it to be productive. If they are not, they will be offended.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:51 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Jane Fonda is an excellent example because of her history.

We have very different definitions of her history. Traitor versus saint. You appear to have bought her side of the tale, I have not.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
We have very different definitions of her history. Traitor versus saint. You appear to have bought her side of the tale, I have not.
I suspect our definition of her history is the same. Like most in my generation (especially since I'm a Vietnam era veteran myself), I despised Fonda.

Until she became a Christian. Now she's my sister.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
I suspect our definition of her history is the same. Like most in my generation (especially since I'm a Vietnam era veteran myself), I despised Fonda.

Until she became a Christian. Now she's my sister.
Before her conversion.....Did you ever consider forgiving her?

Old 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Before her conversion.....Did you ever consider forgiving her?
Actually, no...and that's to my chagrin.

I'm sorry to say that I would never have bothered to speak to her of Jesus even if I'd had the chance. I didn't believe it when I first heard of it.

But someone more obedient than I did speak to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality