Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 10:21 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
What are the causes for storms on other planets if the ones on this planet are caused be a cursed world? Your world confuses me greatly, every natural event is caused by Adam and Eve not obeying God's world and eating the fruit? We know the causes for floods and tornados. Are you claiming that we would not have events occurring when two air masses collide without sin in the world or would we simply not have different types of air masses?
Bingo. Too early to rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:28 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well if your side hadnt worked to gut out every trace of religion from public schools, maybe we wouldn't see this. I'm glad I was part of a generation where people didn't throw a fit because a coach wanted to say a prayer of encouragement for his team.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s in Canada where they read the Bible and said prayers in the morning which is another topic. We never said prayers in the sports I paid which were hockey and baseball. And for both of those sports the coach was the priest of the local Catholic Church. I think prayer in sports is more of an American thing. And never prayers at a school game in any sports. Other than letting the kids who do not believe in your God that they really do not totally belong what good does prayers for a game attempt to do.

And what difference does it make to your argument? At the time prayers were allowed in schools the suicide rate was about the same in the USA as it is today and that stats you have already rejected.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:34 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Jeff? Were you home schooled?

Old 04-25-2016, 10:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Jeff? Were you home schooled?
Irrelevant, but no.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I grew up in the 50s and 60s in Canada where they read the Bible and said prayers in the morning which is another topic. We never said prayers in the sports I paid which were hockey and baseball. And for both of those sports the coach was the priest of the local Catholic Church. I think prayer in sports is more of an American thing. And never prayers at a school game in any sports. Other than letting the kids who do not believe in your God that they really do not totally belong what good does prayers for a game attempt to do.

And what difference does it make to your argument? At the time prayers were allowed in schools the suicide rate was about the same in the USA as it is today and that stats you have already rejected.

Got some proof for that claim? Because I'm still finally data supporting my OP:

Quote:

Suicide rates among adolescents and young adults in America nearly tripled between 1952 and 1996.
Between 1980 and 1996, suicide rates almost doubled among 14-15 year olds and rose by 14% in the 15-19 age group.

Suicide Trends

In my world, a triple rate is not "about the same".

And they have clearly gone up consistently year by year in the last 5 years.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We are quite aware of the bible's instructions on how to beat slaves, how not to be concerned if it takes them three days to die, because your god views that as OK, that it is OK to have your daughters raped rather than have guests insulted, that if a girl does not scream loud enough, she is guilty of getting raped etc. etc.

Yeah, that bible is a lot more horrid than Grimm's Fairy Tales, and does not have as much teachings as Aesops Fables.
Noting but hatred for God's Word. You are still only citing a handful of stories and ignoring the bulk of the Bible, particular the NT. You purposely seek out anything negative about Christians and ignore the positives.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Well if your side hadnt worked to gut out every trace of religion from public schools, maybe we wouldn't see this. I'm glad I was part of a generation where people didn't throw a fit because a coach wanted to say a prayer of encouragement for his team.
So you would be OK with a Muslim Iman coming in and preaching, or a Scientologist, or a Buddhist monk? Or are you sticky about which religion is taught in school? How about a Voodoo chicken entrails reading before the game?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:09 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How about a Voodoo chicken entrails reading before the game?
Maybe a prayer to lift this curse Jeff is living under?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:15 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Another 20000 today Jeff

Old 04-25-2016, 11:27 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Yay, I log in just in time to see a huge spate of spurious correlations and unproven ad hoc fallacies from our usual suspect ... you.

Because, wow, yeah, there was NEVER bullying in schools before teachers and coaches were no longer forced by the state to indoctrinate children into deity worship irrespective of the religion.

It never ceases to amaze me how people like you ALWAYS blame the actions of atheists for every damn misfortune that befalls a place such as public schools where Christianity isn't allowed to be slathered all over the walls, ceilings and floors.

"YEAH! If it hadn't been for atheists taking prayer out of schools, little Cindy wouldn't have tripped and fallen down the stairs and chipped her tooth!"

"RIGHT! And my son Todd, despite only weighing 100 lbs. at age 17, having a high voice, and a strange interest in flower arranging, would never have been bullied before God was taken out of the schools."

"UH HUH! And even though my son has been in trouble twice for animal abuse and was expelled from two other schools for fighting and anti-social behavior, he would behave like a little angel in school if only those damned liberal atheists would make teachers make students chant a prayer to the Christi ... err, I mean, a generic deity every morning!"

Except there's only one problem: Your religion is only that effective in your own fantasy-laden mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality