Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Your example does not reflect the situation in this lawsuit. Here is an example which does:

A normal everyday baker decides to start making Jewish baked goods to supplement the business because they see an unfulfilled need . The baker is not religious but just trying to increase business . It goes over well. A Catholic enters the store and wishes to purchase the baked goods being offered for sale, but is told "no, we don't serve your kind".

Nonsense . You have twisted the scenario to where the customer is being denied ANY service , including buying existing products . That's not what I pointed out and you know it , or if you truly don't know it then read closer . Being denied buying any baked goods IS discrimination . Being told the business doesn't make the product a customer wants , and have no plans to make it , is NOT discrimination, but something any business owner should have the right to decide . Except in loony CA evidently .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, but there are TONS of christians who are fine with gay people and are horrified at the idea that some christians are so horrible to gay people.
Just like there are muslims who are horrified that some of their people bomb things.
So who is more or less christian and deserves to be represented on that site?

Christian does not equal ostracizing of gays.
True, but irrelevant to the point . The site targeted certain people as customers . They have a right to do that . Some Christians evidently wanted dating sites that fit their life and beliefs . Choosing to appeal to them is not discrimination against others , any more than a gay dating site is discriminatory against heterosexuals . They are sites that target certain types of people as customers , just like a site for cowboys and cowgirls would be . It's about meeting like minded people , not discriminating against other types of people .

Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
True, but irrelevant to the point . The site targeted certain people as customers . They have a right to do that . Some Christians evidently wanted dating sites that fit their life and beliefs . Choosing to appeal to them is not discrimination against others , any more than a gay dating site is discriminatory against heterosexuals . They are sites that target certain types of people as customers , just like a site for cowboys and cowgirls would be . It's about meeting like minded people , not discriminating against other types of people .
They targeted christians looking for other christians.
That does not mean "not gay."
In fact, I know gay people who are only interested in relationships with other gay people who are strong christians.
It's Christian Mingle. Not Christians who hate gays Mingle.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Have you ever used a dating website? It sounds like you haven't. Selecting options in a profile is something you do yourself, so that other users can search your profile. The only service offered by the site is to provide access to the site itself. Forcing users to identify themselves as either a man seeking a woman or a woman seeking a man forces those who are neither to misrepresent themselves. Allowing other options to answer that particular profile question does not change the service being offered.

No , I have been married to my first and only wife since the early 80's , so thankfully I've missed out on computerized dating . Nonetheless, the site targeted heterosexuals . Somehow appealing TO certain types of people equates discriminating AGAINST in the minds of those eager to be offended . Unless it is turned around, and the business appealing to a certain group are of the approved type, such as the gay sites that are allowed to limit their business to gays .

And it does change the service . The site was set up as men desiring women and women desiring men . They didn't have the men desiring men option. And if they dont want to develop a service to sell to gays, , they shouldn't have to . They should be allowed to determine their product line free from whining by crybabies who want some thing other than what they sell . If you want a Honda , go to a Honda dealer and buy one . Don't set in the parking lot of the Toyota dealership and whine and cry about how they don't sell Hondas . You want a gay dating service , go TO a gay dating service and use their product .

But that's just too simple and sensible . Better to make a scene and make everyone cater to OUR needs, because we now CAN make them do just that .

Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Yes, but there are TONS of christians who are fine with gay people and are horrified at the idea that some christians are so horrible to gay people.
Just like there are muslims who are horrified that some of their people bomb things.
So who is more or less christian and deserves to be represented on that site?

Christian does not equal ostracizing of gays.
I have to spread the reps around so.....

Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

And it does change the service . The site was set up as men desiring women and women desiring men . They didn't have the men desiring men option. And if they dont want to develop a service to sell to gays, , they shouldn't have to . They should be allowed to determine their product line free from whining by crybabies who want some thing other than what they sell .at .
I actually agree with this part.
You should be able to develop and sell a product marketed to a specific type of individual if you want. And anyone should be allowed to buy it without forcing you to adjust it to fit their needs.

I disagree with your characterization of the site as Christian meaning it automatically didn't include gay people.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
They targeted christians looking for other christians.
That does not mean "not gay."
In fact, I know gay people who are only interested in relationships with other gay people who are strong christians.
It's Christian Mingle. Not Christians who hate gays Mingle.
So what ? I doubt the site is proclaiming that there are no gay Christians . Gays do not make up any sizable portion of the Christian population, so possibly the concept of gay Christians wanting to use their site when there ARE actually gay dating sites never occurred to them . Possibly they felt like including an option for gays would significantly reduce their business among their target base, Christians . Doesn't matter either way, they set the site up to appeal to a majority of users . They have, or should have in a free state with sensible laws , the right to do that .

Let's do this . Does a strip club that has only women strippers discriminate against gay men? Yes or no ?

Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I actually agree with this part.
You should be able to develop and sell a product marketed to a specific type of individual if you want. And anyone should be allowed to buy it without forcing you to adjust it to fit their needs.

I disagree with your characterization of the site as Christian meaning it automatically didn't include gay people.

I know there are gay Christians . One of my best friends is one. He moved from Baptist to Piskie , for obvious reasons . When I was studying among Eastern Orthodox, it was acknowledged that there were gay priests . It wasn't an issue as long as they were celibate ,as unmarried priests are expected to be anyway . But let's face it, what percentage of Christians in America do they comprise ? Not much by any standard . And most of Christendom considers homosexuality a sin, whether it is or isn't .

Old 07-05-2016, 06:07 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Nonsense . You have twisted the scenario to where the customer is being denied ANY service , including buying existing products . That's not what I pointed out and you know it , or if you truly don't know it then read closer . Being denied buying any baked goods IS discrimination . Being told the business doesn't make the product a customer wants , and have no plans to make it , is NOT discrimination, but something any business owner should have the right to decide . Except in loony CA evidently .
Please explain how the service being provided is different based on whether the paying customer of Christian Mingle is straight or gay.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
The site targets single Christians. Some single Christians are gay. Why should they be excluded? As you correctly state, there are other sites for gays to search for each other. But, are those sites for gay Christians? If I were a single gay Christian, I imagine I would be interested in meeting other single gay Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality