Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times

Advertisements

For argument's sake, let's say the is no afterlife, is that necessarily a bad thing?

Sure, all of those who are "afterlife believers" would be disappointed, but then again, they won't even realize that there isn't an afterlife once their brain is dead.

That brings up another point, if you knew 100% there isn't an afterlife, would you want to live to be like 200 instead of 100? And I mean a "healthy" 200 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 02:08 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That brings up another point, if you knew 100% there isn't an afterlife, would you want to live to be like 200 instead of 100? And I mean a "healthy" 200 years old.
Extended "healthspan" (lifespan with good quality of life) or even biological immortality (indefinite healthspan, where people die only of accident trauma and do not age or get sick) would be nice to have. It's always nice to have options. And one way or the other, everyone is in charge of when they don't want to have more experiences, provided it's a question of shortening rather than lengthening one's life. So I'd be all for it, it'd put people effectively in the driver's seat and give them the power of choice.

I would want to see humanity colonize other worlds, maybe even be part of that. At least at this distance that appeals to me. It'd be fun.

I've said before that I feel quite a bit past my "best used by" date but that is mostly a function of the expected shortness of my life, and the lack of time / energy / health to reboot myself yet again.

Nevertheless I am quite content, at 59, to pass the torch to others whenever my time comes. If offered a magic pill to provide biological immortality or just double my lifespan, I'd probably take it, but it's not an urgent requirement for me to be more content or to resolve some existential angst or something. It would just be a found blessing along life's path to be taken with gratitude and used wisely.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
For argument's sake, let's say the is no afterlife, is that necessarily a bad thing?

Sure, all of those who are "afterlife believers" would be disappointed, but then again, they won't even realize that there isn't an afterlife once their brain is dead.

I wished my dogs had lived into their thirties instead of just into their teens. I wished by one grandfather lived until I would have been old enough to remember him and I wish my school buddy did not drown while we were in Grade 3.

I hope for a couple of decades of retirement but no wish to be a healthy 170 year old. If we were all like that we would have to postpone retirement until we were 150 instead of around 65.

I do not believe there is an afterlife but I will not say I am 100% certain but I can live with a 99.9% chance that it unlikely to exist.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I hope for a couple of decades of retirement but no wish to be a healthy 170 year old. If we were all like that we would have to postpone retirement until we were 150 instead of around 65.
Not really. As productivity and automation continue to increase society will be moving away from that work / retirement model and providing a guaranteed basic income, leaving people free to pursue the kind of work that they actually have a passion for. Widespread biological immortality would only accelerate that trend.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:47 AM

689 posts, read 549,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
But if such a place exists I would guess it's nothing fancy--probably an alternate dimension that looks exactly like this one, which is why many people have said they didn't even realize they were dead when they first entered this alternate state.
I believe the major difference lies in that current humans only know present, they don't know past and they don't know future. After lives may make a difference. For example, you can then confirm who killed President John Kennedy.

Moreover, humans kill animals and plants of different types which makes earth boring. You may be able to see fancy species in your after life. You may have to pay effort in making your way to Heaven first before anything can be confirmed.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:55 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not really. As productivity and automation continue to increase society will be moving away from that work / retirement model and providing a guaranteed basic income, leaving people free to pursue the kind of work that they actually have a passion for. Widespread biological immortality would only accelerate that trend.
Apparently Isaiah was thinking somewhat along your same line of thought in that ' everlasting life ' on Earth could offer the time for people to pursue the work that they have a passion for in a safe-and-secure environment - Isaiah 65:21-23

Last edited by Matthew 4:4; 09-17-2016 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-17-2016, 03:04 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
You may be able to see fancy species in your after life. You may have to pay effort in making your way to Heaven first before anything can be confirmed.
True, we do Not know our immediate future, but the Bible gives us a glimpse of a happy future -> Revelation 22:2
That ' after life ' is really about: resurrection - Acts 24:15. Resurrection back to life on Earth.
The majority of mankind will be awakened from death's deep sleep to a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection back to life on Earth starting with Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth begins.
So, for most people Earth is Not a stepping stone to Heaven, but to healthy everlasting physical life on Earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

We are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' on Earth - Matthew 25:31-33,37, when humble people alive on Earth will inherit the Earth without having to first die.- Matthew 5:5; Proverbs 2:21-22

Old 09-18-2016, 06:39 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
80%. Dreaming. Since we already have dreams, i think its easy to believe anything after death is simply the self continuing to dream outside the body.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:16 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:

Yes, it would be a bad thing. I want to see my parents and friends again. If there was no afterlife, that would be impossible.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:31 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, it would be a bad thing. I want to see my parents and friends again. If there was no afterlife, that would be impossible.
I am not so sure that IS a bad thing however. Gold is valuable for it's rarity as much as anything else. If you flooded the word with gold tomorrow, it would become worthless.

The value of human life, and the lives of our loves ones, comes not just in it's individual beauty but also its rarity and transience.

There is no reason at all to expect to see your departed loved ones again. And really wishing it to be so, is not going to make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality