Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tverde View Post

it is the only God that comes within you.

Could you explain this a bit more, please? While I'm not altogether sure what you are saying, I am thinking about the Buddhist beliefs that convey the fact that God exists within one's self, and is known by knowing the self.

Thanks.

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
As a Christian my biggest problem is the Old Testament.
Thanks for being honest..Most christians do not understand the OT or are truly taught incorrectly on the subject.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Bigthirsty, i use to agree with that point of view. I say I use to because, a certain part of scripture and close friend of mine brought it to my attention.

Jesus says that he is the word, and word is Him. to doubt some parts of scripture, would in some essence doubt God, wouldnt it?

I dont believe you should take it literally but you should take it as the truth, for instance, when God created the world in seven days, doesnt necessarliy mean that those seven days were in weekly time format. If that makes since, i dont know really how to explain it while typing. Guess im trying to say that the next day didnt necessarily mean it happen 24 hours after the first day and so forth.
If jesus said he is the word than I would stick with what God himself says:Jeremiah 17:5-7 5 Thus saith HaShem: Cursed is the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from HaShem.
6 For he shall be like a tamarisk in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, a salt land and not inhabited.
7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in HaShem, and whose trust HaShem is.

Last edited by shibainu; 03-12-2008 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Just to name a few differences from any other religion:

Christianity is the only personal God in the World. It is the only God that died for its creation and it is the only God that comes within you.
Or is it Man Created a demi-god(Jesus) to be able to feel they are like God. Remember God said: Deut 4:15. And you shall watch yourselves very well, for you did not see any image on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire.6. Lest you become corrupt and make for yourselves a graven image, the representation of any form, the likeness of male or female,

Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think one of the the biggest problem with Christianity (as a whole) is their intolerance of other beliefs even though they worship the same God and follow the same strict moral codes..

Another problem with christianity is within christianity itself..There are so many different doctrines and they argue over why their particular doctrine is the only one that guarantees a spot in heaven...
Actually, if you really look at the other religions of the world you soon discover that it would be impossible for them to of come from the same God. And you could only believe that, if you believed that God was a liar. You see the Bible has given us a way of salvation that requires that we Worship Christ alone, and the Bible tells us there is no other name given unto men to be save but the name Jesus Christ. Now all the other faiths of the world say that is not true, and by being a good person you can earn salvation. Yet the Bible tells us that no one is good, and our best works before the Throne of God are but filthy rags.

Jesus warned us about vain religion. And that is why God always told us to study His Word, and not to look to any man for your faith. For the Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things. In my own life, I have seen God work in such a way. The Bible tells us to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and He will save us from our sins. He was the only man that fulfilled the three hundred prophecies of the Old Testament. Other religions of the world donot have fulfilled prophecies in their religious texts, because only God knows the future. And that is why only fulfilled prophecies will be found in the Bible. And that is, because the Bible was Authored by God.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post

Jesus warned us about vain religion. .
Maybe you should take his advice....

Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Thank you Campbell, I really do appreciate your post..I have looked at the other religions of the world (not as a scholar like so many on this forum are)..I do not believe that God is a liar..IMO Jesus IS the word, not necessarily the bible..My opinion stands..the biggest problem in christianity is within christianity..Seems like each different denomination, sect, cult within Christianity spends a whole lot of time away from prayer and good work trying to show other christians what filthy rags they are..

Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,676 times
Quote:

RoaminRed, what is it that you believe in if you dont mind me asking..
I believe that human beings should take responsibility for their own actions. That we should treat each other in the manner we would like to be treated. That we should raise our children to have respect for themselves, for other people, and for the planet and everything that lives here. I believe when you cause deliberate pain or damage to someone else that you diminish yourself as a human being. I believe this life is the only one we get, and as such it should be lived to the utmost of one's ability.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 AM

27 posts, read 74,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Could you explain this a bit more, please? While I'm not altogether sure what you are saying, I am thinking about the Buddhist beliefs that convey the fact that God exists within one's self, and is known by knowing the self.

Thanks.

Take gentle care.

In christianity, the holy spirit comes and dwells within us when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. It re-connects a relationship (bond) that was once seperated because of our sin. The lord comes and dwells within our temples..Our Lord and Saviour is not located in a temple or in some shrine that we would go to worship, but He and the his Kingdom regins in every heart, sould and body of his believers. We become part of the body Christ.

From what I know, the belief of buddhism is that the search for peace or nirvana, is achieved by looking inside and gaining a better understanding of yourself. While Christ does dwell within his believers, it is not inside that we continue to look for guidance. It is upward that we look, guided by the holy spirit inside and challenged to have a daily relationship with God. God is in us, but we are far from God. By looking at ourselves and examining ourselves, we only find how sinful the human flesh is and how far we have fallen from our original creation. But through the guidance of the Holy Spirit that comes once we have accepted Christ, we have a counter to our human nature - one that points us towards the light and to constantly pursue what is righteous.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 AM

27 posts, read 74,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I believe that human beings should take responsibility for their own actions. That we should treat each other in the manner we would like to be treated. That we should raise our children to have respect for themselves, for other people, and for the planet and everything that lives here. I believe when you cause deliberate pain or damage to someone else that you diminish yourself as a human being. I believe this life is the only one we get, and as such it should be lived to the utmost of one's ability.

Do you believe there is something greater than us? what about, do you believe that there is anything after this life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality