Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tverde View Post
Do you believe there is something greater than us? what about, do you believe that there is anything after this life?
She said she doesn't believe in another life if you read her paragraph again.

And she is an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 AM

27 posts, read 74,730 times
I am at work and I was reading quickly, so i apologize for missing that Haaziq.

John Macarthur said this about mans wisdom

Even though surrounded by evidences of God's wisdom men choose to trust their own. They "suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident ot them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse" (Rom 1:18-20). The wisdom of men is totally indicted. Their wisdom is not merely ignorant of God's wisdom but is scornful of it. Their ignorance is willful, because they refuse to recognize that which is "evident," that whcih can be "clearly seen.".......God does not expect men to come to Him through their own wisdom; He knows they cannon. But they can come to Him through His wisdom.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
Default Biblianity!

The biggest drawback that I see with organized Chritianity is that it discourages common sense and thinking for oneself. It abdicates personal responsibility. It asks for blind faith in a book that was written many years ago, based on the memory and personal biases of those who wrote it, under the guise of divine revelation. In reality, there is far more emphasis upon the bible than there is on Christ himself. Christianity is a misnomer. It would be more accurrately portrayed if it was called Biblianity. Other than the incessant references to scriptures, the belief in one truth only and everyone else be damned philosophy, most of the Christians I've interacted with are truly kind hearted people.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,676 times
Quote:
Do you believe there is something greater than us? what about, do you believe that there is anything after this life?
That depends on what you consider "greater than us". The universe is immense. Statistically speaking, the odds are that humans are probably not the only intelligent life forms in the universe. I accept the possibility that there could be other "people" out there. If they exist, I reject the idea that they are anything but non-supernatural. Could they be greater than us? Certainly they could be stronger, smarter, more advanced. But that still wouldn't make them gods.

As far as what comes after this life -- well, I'll be doing the same thing that I did before I was born -- not existing.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Or is it Man Created a demi-god(Jesus) to be able to feel they are like God. Remember God said: Deut 4:15. And you shall watch yourselves very well, for you did not see any image on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire.6. Lest you become corrupt and make for yourselves a graven image, the representation of any form, the likeness of male or female,

Here is commentary dealing with that verse(s) -

The power and love of God to Israel are here made the ground and reason of a number of cautions and serious warnings; and although there is much reference to their national covenant, yet all may be applied to those who live under the gospel. What are laws made for but to be observed and obeyed? Our obedience as individuals cannot merit salvation; but it is the only evidence that we are partakers of the gift of God, which is eternal life through Jesus Christ, Considering how many
temptations we are compassed with, and what corrupt desires we have in our bosoms, we have great need to keep our hearts with all diligence. Those cannot walk aright, who walk carelessly. Moses charges particularly to take heed of the sin of idolatry. He shows how weak the temptation would be to those who thought aright; for these pretended gods, the sun, moon, and stars, were only blessings which the Lord their God had imparted to all nations. It is absurd to worship them; shall we serve those that were made to serve us? Take heed lest ye forget the covenant of the Lord your God. We must take heed lest at any time we forget our religion. Care, caution, and watchfulness, are helps against a bad memory. (De 4:24-40)

IMO I believe that passage is warning people against worshiping other Gods and Idols. Moses had just led them out of Egypt where in Egypt there worshipped many Gods. He didnt want them to fall back into that trap.

Jesus never claimed that he was another God, He claimed that he and God are one in the same. He is not a seperate God from Yah-weh himself, but that he and God are the same. There is no differnce between God and Jesus. Jesus is just the human form of God.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
That depends on what you consider "greater than us". The universe is immense. Statistically speaking, the odds are that humans are probably not the only intelligent life forms in the universe. I accept the possibility that there could be other "people" out there. If they exist, I reject the idea that they are anything but non-supernatural. Could they be greater than us? Certainly they could be stronger, smarter, more advanced. But that still wouldn't make them gods.

As far as what comes after this life -- well, I'll be doing the same thing that I did before I was born -- not existing.

Then the only purpose to life would be to die?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:33 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,007 times
Quote:
Then the only purpose to life would be to die?
I think Red would agree with me when I say there is no purpose to life, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't live it to the fullest and have fun while you can (within reason, of course).

Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
The biggest drawback that I see with organized Chritianity is that it discourages common sense and thinking for oneself. It abdicates personal responsibility. It asks for blind faith in a book that was written many years ago, based on the memory and personal biases of those who wrote it, under the guise of divine revelation. In reality, there is far more emphasis upon the bible than there is on Christ himself. Christianity is a misnomer. It would be more accurrately portrayed if it was called Biblianity. Other than the incessant references to scriptures, the belief in one truth only and everyone else be damned philosophy, most of the Christians I've interacted with are truly kind hearted people.

I wouldnt go as far as saying "blind faith" but it does take faith. NewAge, how versed in the scripture would you say you are? The reason I ask, is because sometimes are views and beliefs about another religion can be skewed by what we have heard and mixed in with what the general consesus is.

The bible is not about death...its about Life. There is a reason the bible is called the "Good News"

If one blind man leads another blind man, they both will fall into a ditch. Its one heck of a risk to put all your marbles in one basket - that basket being the faillable wisdom of man.

The Gospel predicted many historical events way before they happend. It outlines mans flaws, and points to the direct cause of all the heart ache in our world, but we choose to close the book and write it off because thats "not possible"

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
It appears to me that the purpose of life is simply to experience it! Anything else seems like a game of the ego.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I think Red would agree with me when I say there is no purpose to life, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't live it to the fullest and have fun while you can (within reason, of course).

since there is no god, then there is no purpose, then that means theres nothing that differentiates what is right and what is wrong, therefore i can go kill 10 people? just because i wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality