Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:14 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
So did I and ALL of them knew it was a waste of time to talk to me about religion as I refused to do it. Peace
But, you were exposed to Christianity, right? I'm not sure what you mean about changing "from the inside out" vs. "outside in". Can you explain that a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No doubt. And James wrote in his epistle that the demons believe in God--and they shudder.

Knowledge does not necessarily mean anything if the mind is closed and the heart is proud.
And James may have believed that, but we neither believe nor shudder. And not only do atheists sometimes seem to know and understand their Bible better than the believers, but their minds are not so closed and their hearts are not too proud to listen and be willing to learn from good argument. It is to many Christians who consider that all they have to listen to is what they already believe.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
The Bible is called "God-breathed". It is his inspired Word. Yes, God can and does use other means to guide people, but how do we know if the urging we feel is from God, or simply our own personal feelings?

If what we believe God is saying contradicts his inspired Word, then we are understanding him wrong. Because Scripture is set, and closed -- and it can't change. It's already written down.
easy, use other people. I found most reasonable people can be reasonable. errr, wait a min.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
You don't condemn fundies? Since when, did I miss something??? Peace
If you take my condemnation of the ideas you express personally that's on you.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

You can not even be trying to understand. The Spirit is described in detail in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount. There is no resemblance to any feelings from a bad taco. Anything that is NOT compatible with those descriptions can NOT be from God or Jesus, period.
Quote:
I am trying to understand. I see you guys wax on about "The SPirit" and "Agape Love" and all that but honestly.....that's really very subjective. We just don't see the apostles using the language you use in the NT, or for that matter, the early church fathers in the writings thereafter.
Nevermind the very real question you have yet to answer of "Who is right when we disagree?" The best you have is what you THINK the Spirit is telling you, and you always think YOU properly understand him while the rest of us are wrong. Instead of Sola Fide you have Sola Feelings.
There is nothing subjective about those verses. Anyone wh reads them knows exactly what they say and what they mean. There is no disagreement. When we disagree, the one who is consistent with the Spirit as described in those verses is right and the other is wrong, period. What about that is so difficult for you to understand. It has nothing to do with feelings. It is spelled out in black and white in those verses.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Again, it's not an opinion if it happens. And when it does, there is NO QUESTION in your mind that it is NOT the same spirit as a suicide bomber of Allah. Just sayin'....Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, that's a start, so tell us by what characteristics do you know that it IS the Spirit Jesus promised.
She has ducked and will continue to duck that question, nate. It is why I question what Spirit she actually experienced because the one I experienced is unmistakably and undeniably loving and accepting as described in the verses we so often cite.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:

No, it's on you, for being disingenuous. Peace

Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
When you do it nonstop and you continually attack all "fundamentalists" it does tend to result in us taking it personally. You don't like it when people talk disparagingly of your beliefs, so why do you do it to us?

Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:
There is nothing subjective about those verses. Anyone wh reads them knows exactly what they say and what they mean. There is no disagreement. When we disagree, the one who is consistent with the Spirit as described in those verses is right and the other is wrong, period. What about that is so difficult for you to understand. It has nothing to do with feelings. It is spelled out in black and white in those verses.

And there is the problem with your "logical" thinking. Because you had you been present to hear Him prophesy the destruction of Jerusalem, you would have run screaming from His presence claiming He hath a devil. Just like you run screaming from anyone talking about the judgment/discipline aspects of G-d now, and try to say we don't have THE Spirit. Peace

Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
What verses, specifically? Let's do some exegesis on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality