Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:13 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
No Rbbi obeyed G-d in the matter. And I would do it all over again. Peace
So are you saying you burned what book? Were they books on witchcraft? Or things like in Acts 19?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Keep in mind that it isn't us that are supporting things like evolution as fact, despite all sorts of arguments otherwise. It's not us that suggests that we should not teach other viable theories for how the universe came about.
Evolution has nothing to do with how the universe came about. I believe God is why the universe exists. Evolution explains HOW life changes over time, period. Some evolutionists exceed the bounds of the data and make unsupportable assertions, but that does not affect the sound and widespread basis for the theory itself.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that it isn't us that are supporting things like evolution as fact, despite all sorts of arguments otherwise. It's not us that suggests that we should not teach other viable theories for how the universe came about.
Viable theories would be fine. Please let us know when you have developed one.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Evolution has nothing to do with how the universe came about.
Yet, those who hold to it are almost universally opposed to the idea of creation science, or intelligent design. They go hand in hand.
Quote:

I believe God is why the universe exists. Evolution explains HOW life changes over time, period. Some evolutionists exceed the bounds of the data and make unsupportable assertions, but that does not affect the sound and widespread basis for the theory itself.
OK.

I think you get my point, in that it isn't Christians that are suppressing the idea of looking at all possible theories, or ideas of the universe beginning, or life developing by means of a designer. It's non-Christians.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Viable theories would be fine. Please let us know when you have developed one.
This is problematic since we do not KNOW how the universe/multiverse came to be. Since ALL of our existing knowledge about it is based on the less than 5% we can measure and investigate, it seems presumptuous to make ANY assertions based on the 95+% we have no clue about. Even if you are keen on using probabilities, we are starting from a low probability base of knowledge (less than 5%).

Old 08-18-2017, 04:52 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Yet, those who hold to it are almost universally opposed to the idea of creation science, or intelligent design. They go hand in hand.

OK.

I think you get my point, in that it isn't Christians that are suppressing the idea of looking at all possible theories, or ideas of the universe beginning, or life developing by means of a designer. It's non-Christians.
ID is not a theory, at best its only a hypothesis, more accurately described as conjecture. Propose an evidence hypothesis and ID would have a seat at the table.

You are correct that those who accept the TOE generally reject creationism (not a science), because the same processes are engaged that lead to both, observable, testable, falsifiable, verifiable, peer-reviewed evidence.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
This is problematic since we do not KNOW how the universe/multiverse came to be. Since ALL of our existing knowledge about it is based on the less than 5% we can measure and investigate, it seems presumptuous to make ANY assertions based on the 95+% we have no clue about. Even if you are keen on using probabilities, we are starting from a low probability base of knowledge (less than 5%).
Out of context for the win. Nice job of trying to misdirect in order to hide your inability to actually address comments.

I responded to your 5% quote above. If you have objections to my post, why don't you respond to it?

You are actually responding to my contention that creationism isn't a valid theory.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
5% is obviously arbitrary since we don't actually know how much we don't know, but for the sake of argument I can accept that figure. Because we only know 5%, does that preclude from us concluding that gravity is the force acting upon matter. Because we only know 5%, does that preclude us from accepting the Theory of Relativity, or the Laws of Thermodynamics? What causes you to believe that God created the cosmos?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Out of context for the win. Nice job of trying to misdirect in order to hide your inability to actually address comments.
I responded to your 5% quote above. If you have objections to my post, why don't you respond to it?
You are actually responding to my contention that creationism isn't a valid theory.
No misdirection involved. I am NOT defending Creationism because it is indefensible. I am defending existentialism because that which is responsible for the existence of everything DOES exist. You call it Nature or the Universe/multiverse or "We don't know" and I call it God. Its existence is indisputable based on the fact that everything DOES exist. You can play your silly games of Creator using infinite regresses, but the simple truth is that existence itself is undeniable. It doesn't matter to me how long existence has been true nor if there was anything before existence because existence itself simply IS. God has no need to play any more role than to EXIST, period.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
No misdirection involved. I am NOT defending Creationism because it is indefensible. I am defending existentialism because that which is responsible for the existence of everything DOES exist. You call it Nature or the Universe/multiverse or "We don't know" and I call it God. Its existence is indisputable based on the fact that everything DOES exist. You can play your silly games of Creator using infinite regresses, but the simple truth is that existence itself is undeniable. It doesn't matter to me how long existence has been true nor if there was anything before existence because existence itself simply IS. God has no need to play any more role than to EXIST, period.
I'm happy to hear you describe the origin of the cosmos this way, though it seems to simply be a semantic game, relabeling concepts for which we already have names, much like another poster here does on a regular basis. But, then, you suggest that this "God", "Universe", or "we don't know" has agency, suggesting that we do know the attributes of this existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality