Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:48 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Since when? You are continually trying to convince everyone on here that you have found the ONLY way, via ripping up all the books. Peace
Rbbi1, you know we neither rip nor burn books.. What we rip ate erroneous attitudes TOWARD books. But you can't wrap your mind around that any more than you can about the idea that attacking attitudes you hold is an attack on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 04:36 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Rbbi1, you know we neither rip nor burn books.. What we rip ate erroneous attitudes TOWARD books. But you can't wrap your mind around that any more than you can about the idea that attacking attitudes you hold is an attack on you.

Oh cut out the fake high road, Nate....you and your buddies have called us every name in the book. It's not been just "attitudes", much as you would like to paint it with a broad brush to deny culpability. Peace

Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Whereas you just burn books.

Darn right I do. It's biblical. I burned a lot of mine, too. Peace

Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
The act epitomizes your wrongness.

That you delight in it, illustrates the depth of the darkness of your spirit.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The act epitomizes your wrongness.

That you delight in it, illustrates the depth of the darkness of your spirit.
So you have no problem with free and open distribution of Bibles?

How about when the Watchtower gang puts their material in your door when you're not home? Do you keep that on a shelf somewhere? Or do you destroy it/toss it?

Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Please elaborate. How is book burning biblical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I certainly don't, within certain legal restrictions. I don't think that distribution of bibles should be publicly funded in any way, and obviously if the manner of distribution is a safety hazard I would object.

Quote:
How about when the Watchtower gang puts their material in your door when you're not home? Do you keep that on a shelf somewhere? Or do you destroy it/toss it?
I don't know that this is distribution as much as littering. If I find a bible on my doorstep I throw it away in the same way I toss the yellow pages when they are distributed. No qualms.

This is a red herring in any case. Few people are going to categorically decry the destruction of ANY book for ANY reason. We destroy books all the time. I think the real discussion is about the suppression of knowledge, and that action appears to be much more prevalent on the religious side than it is on the non-religious side.

Scientologists and JW actively tell their adherents not to look at critical web pages. I have seen Christians do the same. There is a disturbing groundswell amongst religious people against college, and home-schooloing amongst the religiously devout is skyrocketing.

I don't see any of those attitudes from atheists. As a group, atheists tend to be more knowledgeable on religious details than religious adherents, and I know many atheists who have encouraged their children to explore religion.

One group embraces knowledge, one group suppresses it. Which side would you rather be identified with?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

I certainly don't, within certain legal restrictions. I don't think that distribution of bibles should be publicly funded in any way, and obviously if the manner of distribution is a safety hazard I would object.

I don't know that this is distribution as much as littering. If I find a bible on my doorstep I throw it away in the same way I toss the yellow pages when they are distributed. No qualms.

This is a red herring in any case. Few people are going to categorically decry the destruction of ANY book for ANY reason. We destroy books all the time. I think the real discussion is about the suppression of knowledge, and that action appears to be much more prevalent on the religious side than it is on the non-religious side.

Scientologists and JW actively tell their adherents not to look at critical web pages. I have seen Christians do the same. There is a disturbing groundswell amongst religious people against college, and home-schooloing amongst the religiously devout is skyrocketing.

I don't see any of those attitudes from atheists. As a group, atheists tend to be more knowledgeable on religious details than religious adherents, and I know many atheists who have encouraged their children to explore religion.

One group embraces knowledge, one group suppresses it. Which side would you rather be identified with?
I think the point is that you toss or burn the things you don't value. So I guess you suppress that which you don't approve of. Maybe that's why your'e here now, attacking religious people. Good for you! Way to be a modern-day book burner at heart!

I'm not sure Rbb1 was saying that she intentionally bans or wants to round up piles of books to burn.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Converts to the Way burned their own magic manuals in Acts 19 "A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas."

Old 08-18-2017, 10:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Of course not. Despite my belief that the bible is a dangerous book that has resulted in the deaths - both physical and spiritual - of millions, I would never burn a single page.

Quote:
I put it in with my other recyclables.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM

22,231 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Converts to the Way burned their own magic manuals in Acts 19 "A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas."

there it is again
"the Way"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality