Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:30 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would be very interested in hearing from the four individuals who voted, "No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged." I've been sitting here trying to understand how someone who lived in China in the year 300 B.C. could possibly have heard "The Word." Maybe I'm just really dense, but I'm honestly clueless. Please enlighten me.
That's a good question, with no answer as of yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would be very interested in hearing from the four individuals who voted, "No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged." I've been sitting here trying to understand how someone who lived in China in the year 300 B.C. could possibly have heard "The Word." Maybe I'm just really dense, but I'm honestly clueless. Please enlighten me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That's a good question, with no answer as of yet.
Really? what did you find objectionable or not to the point in the following?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Tao te Ching Translates as "The Book of the Way" and it is probably the closest text (at least that I have run across to what Jesus taught as the Way. Don't conflate the Christ and Jesus; Jesus embodied the Christ in His day and time and was the most perfect expression of the Christ that I have heard of, but that spirit spoke and speaks to everyone, and some listen. The Way is about living in community with a concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation as basis, and drive to community can be felt and followed by anyone anywhere however imperfectly. Remember what Paul said about those gentiles who did the things of the Law without the Law.

If you feel that is indicative of an narrow mind or a cult, I have nothing more to say.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:34 AM

22,229 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Tao te Ching Translates as "The Book of the Way" and it is probably the closest text (at least that I have run across to what Jesus taught as the Way. Don't conflate the Christ and Jesus; Jesus embodied the Christ in His day and time and was the most perfect expression of the Christ that I have heard of, but that spirit spoke and speaks to everyone, and some listen. The Way is about living in community with a concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation as basis, and drive to community can be felt and followed by anyone anywhere however imperfectly. Remember what Paul said about those gentiles who did the things of the Law without the Law.

If you feel that is indicative of an narrow mind or a cult, I have nothing more to say.
so now you are promoting the Tao te Ching.
in addition to your talk of "the Crst" and "the Way"
(what's that great line of urkoz about someone trying to fit their butt on several chairs all at the same time)

however in the Tao there is no God
big difference between JC and the Tao....one has God front and center; the other has no God

"living in community with a concern for the well being of everyone" and seeking to do this at all times says nothing at all about God. It sounds like to you, and in "the Way" that you are now promoting God does not exist and is not necessary. Or as the atheists on the board like to say, and your views are sounding more and more like that all the time, "don't need God for that." A homeowner's association can come up with that.

this seems to indicate a view that is scattered and confused.
So I will ask you directly. which is it for you personally nate: God or no God?
simple question, simple answer

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-21-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so now you are promoting the Tao te Ching.
in addition to your talk of "the Crst" and "the Way"
(what's that great line of urkoz about someone trying to fit their butt on several chairs all at the same time)

however in the Tao there is no God
big difference between JC and the Tao....one has God front and center; the other has no God

"living in community with a concern for the well being of everyone" and seeking to do this at all times says nothing at all about God. It sounds like to you, and in "the Way" that you are now promoting God does not exist and is not necessary. Or as the atheists on the board like to say, and your views are sounding more and more like that all the time, "don't need God for that." A homeowner's association can come up with that.

this seems to indicate a view that is scattered and confused.
So I will ask you directly. which is it for you personally nate: God or no God?
simple question, simple answer
You certainly do your best to put whatever I say in the worst possible context, don't you? Dedication.
I'm not promoting Tao Re Ching or Taoism, I'm pointing out that the Christ who was manifested in Jesus has "spoken" to others in different ways and the point is always community with God and man whether some kind of worshi of God is indicated or not. In words Jesus used, "If you love ME, do as I have taught you." It's not about worship practices, but the basis for living.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:20 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
The fact that there are those who think there is "no excuse" for not hearing about this so-called "Word" only furthers the depths of depravity that religion causes.

I don't know if the fanatical believers ever noticed this or not but not once, anywhere, in the Old Testament was there any proselytizing to non-Jews (non-Hebrews). God couldn't have cared less about anyone BUT the Hebrews and therefore never asked or demanded that his religion be spread any further than the furthest Israelite.

Only when the Christ Cult made its appearance when suddenly it became mandatory to start spreading this so-called "Word" -- and Christ is SUPPOSED to be the savior of the Hebrews. He is supposed to be the Jewish messiah, not the messiah of everyone.

For some bizarre reason the Jewish religion was essentially hijacked by gentiles and re-written to make Judaism more "universal" -- which it was never supposed to be. Perhaps this is one reason why the Jews do not believe that Christ is their messiah? Ya think? It's pretty absurd when you realize that the one group of people that was supposed to be saved by the messiah is the one and only Judeo-Christian group that doesn't believe Christ IS the messiah.

Therefore, this so-called "Word" is as false as my grandfather's teeth. The "Word" was never meant to go anywhere beyond the confines of the Israelities -- which is why no Israelite tried to convert even one single Egyptian, one single Canaanite, one single gentile anywhere to the Hebrew faith.

The whole idea of Jesus being both the son of God AND part of God himself was a patchwork attempt at having multiple gods whilst being able to still claim there is only "one true god" and keep it a monotheistic faith. In fact, much of the New Testament is bolted, glued, nailed, and duct-taped onto Judaism in order to lend the Christ Cult some validity.

So ... what happened to all those people who lived before the "Word" was spread by the Christ Cult? And even when the "Word" did begin to spread, how in the hell do you expect a member of some undiscovered Amazonian tribe to hear about the "Word" in, say, the year 1700 when messages still only moved at the speed of the fastest horse? And, even then, only in places where the Caucasions have influence. I guess those people are just ... crap out of luck?

"Sorry, bub, but you were born as an Australian Aborigine and the "Word" didn't hit Australia until the 1800's. I'm afraid that wins you a one-way ticket straight to Hell thanks to those forum members who think there is no excuse for you not hearing the "Word" -- apparently giving no thought whatsoever to the era, the technology of the time, and whether or not your continent was even discovered in time."

Yes, it is very possible that some people in this day and age haven't heard the "Word." Do you honestly think everyone in the world has roaming internet, an iPad glued to their eyes and a cell phone permanently attached to their ear? There really are undiscovered or unknown Amazonian tribes that the so-called civilized world hasn't interacted with yet and hopefully never will.

It's too bad that the moment a new culture is discovered, the first thing we "civilized" people try to do is destroy that culture by ramming Christianity (and in some cases Islam) down their throats.

At any rate, most here know my stance on these Abrahamic religions. I find them all to be morally bankrupt at their cores. You actually have to *disobey* God in order to be a moral person. Which is why spreading this "Word" has only sewn the seeds of chaos, destruction, and strife

Old 08-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Well, Shirina, that's one (false) concept of what "The Word" is about. I can hardly blame you for that, it seems to be prevalent in institutional Christianity.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Well, Shirina, that's one (false) concept of what "The Word" is about. I can hardly blame you for that, it seems to be prevalent in institutional Christianity.
Don't fight it, nate. Admit whoever wrote Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure nailed it in five (5) words: Be excellent to each other.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Don't fight it, nate. Admit whoever wrote Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure nailed it in five (5) words: Be excellent to each other.
How New Age

Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
I'm curious, then, what your version of the "Word" entails?

My posts were aimed toward those 4 or 5 people who claim that "there is no excuse" for not hearing the "Word" because the "Word" is how we will be judged.

Thus I'm reasonably certain that their version of the "Word," when all of the smoke, fluff, and fog is removed, will say: "Convert to Christianity as a Born-Again, worship God/Jesus, and beg for forgiveness or burn in Hell for eternity."

If your beliefs are not so "institutional" then, in truth, my posts weren't really aimed at you, so I would be interested if your "Word" skips the hell-threat.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm curious, then, what your version of the "Word" entails?

My posts were aimed toward those 4 or 5 people who claim that "there is no excuse" for not hearing the "Word" because the "Word" is how we will be judged.

Thus I'm reasonably certain that their version of the "Word," when all of the smoke, fluff, and fog is removed, will say: "Convert to Christianity as a Born-Again, worship God/Jesus, and beg for forgiveness or burn in Hell for eternity."

If your beliefs are not so "institutional" then, in truth, my posts weren't really aimed at you, so I would be interested if your "Word" skips the hell-threat.
Well, since I DID vote "no excuse," I am a target, but thank you for being open to the possibility that the seriously dysfunctional attitude you outline (which IS prevalent) might not apply to me. My position is based on the idea that "The Word" is really quite simple: nothing really any more or less than the idea that our lives and social intercourse should be based on a vested concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation. This does not mean that everyone should get what they want, but that ALL needs should be balanced when action is needed. Such a simple "message" is not by any means limited to the life and ministry of the man called Jesus, but is the message of what I call the Christ to all ages and peoplke who will tune into it. I think that it was most clearly articulated by Jesus in life and ministry though there may be some clinkers in the report of that ministry.

As for "judgement," it would be about receiving the consequences of ouractions and attitudes with the hope that we can come to realize the value of that "love" that IS "The Word."

If you are interested in any more explanation than that you might check my posts in this thread and I will be happy to answer questions. As a general background, you might be interested in "liberal" Quaker thought as briefly described at religioustolerance.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality