Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:17 PM

22,229 posts, read 19,238,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If nate's posts in any way resembled what L8 described, you'd have a point. As it is, he said the words, "the way" (referring to having the best interest of everyone at heart), and you filled in the rest with your very vivid imagination.
You did not answer the questions asked in point 85. that is your prerogative. the point I am making is in regards to the red flag behaviors described in post 11. as far as i can tell you don't see a problem with those behaviors described in post 11. and you can't (or won't) tell us why those behaviors are problematic.

also, Nate pointedly and consistently refers to the Way. not the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 06:47 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
You did not answer the questions asked in point 85. that is your prerogative. the point I am making is in regards to the red flag behaviors described in post 11. as far as i can tell you don't see a problem with those behaviors described in post 11. and you can't (or won't) tell us why those behaviors are problematic.

You are being ridiculous on both counts.

1. Of course the things L8 brought up are a problem.
2. Do you or do you not agree that the way/The Way for people to be in community with each other is to be concerned about the well-being of everyone?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And you continue to do it. You brazenly ignore our views, and you tell us what we think.

And you wonder why we have very little good to say about you.
Gosh I'm sorry. I thought all fundamentalists (at least of the Baptist variety) believed that "sinners" would be damned to Hell for all eternity. Please tell me how I am wrong about this OR tell me about how eternal punishment for temporal sin does NOT violate the principle of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
Or did you think I was talking about something else?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You are being ridiculous on both counts.

1. Of course the things L8 brought up are a problem.
2. Do you or do you not agree that the way/The Way for people to be in community with each other is to be concerned about the well-being of everyone?
OK, then tell us why those behaviors are a problem. For these specific behaviors, why are they red flags:

"there is only one way to God"
"this is best for you"
"this is best for everyone"
"no one else has the truth, they are wrong, corrupt, in error, off the rails"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-16-2017 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
OK, then tell us why those behaviors are a problem. For these specific behaviors, why are they red flags:

"this is best for you"
Give it a rest, Tzap. Just admit that your post about nate was silly, and let it go.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Give it a rest, Tzap. Just admit that your post about nate was silly, and let it go.
i am discussing behaviors. not a person, behaviors.
you are pointedly declining to discuss those behaviors.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
And, in your mind, saying that having the best interest of everyone at heart, is controlling, manipulation and mind control? Surely not.
Nowhere has nate said that only people in a certain religion or non-religion can fulfill that guiding principle.
Nor has he said any of the things you put in quotes. So, what's the problem?
Quote:
If nate's posts in any way resembled what L8 described, you'd have a point. As it is, he said the words, "the way" (referring to having the best interest of everyone at heart), and you filled in the rest with your very vivid imagination.
Quote:
It's really pretty simple. Is Tzap against the idea of having the best interest of everyone at heart for some reason? I can't see any other reason why she'd be so up in arms about nate's posts.
Quote:
The Way as described by nate, is NOT restricted to ANY particular religion. It is the principle of life that Jesus embodied and demonstrated, but it is not remotely limited to followers of Christ.
Quote:

"this is best for you"
You, NOT nate, are the only one promoting those behaviors or attitudes. They are your straw men. The JW's are guilty, many Christian denominations are guilty of them, etc. but NOT nate or me or Pleroo.
Quote:

Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:

"this is best for you"
Please let me: "one way" is a problem if the person promoting that way is talking about a specific set of beliefs that only his group teaches, when the "way" is something that is available to everyone in ANY faith tradition it is not a problem at all
"Best" again is a matter of whether a specific practice or set of practices is being promoted, especially if it is only taught in the group of the promoter. When it is talking about a relationship in love with God and man, what COULD be better?
If someone is claiming that no one else has the truth, that would setiously be a problem suspiciously like a cult. When one claims that the truth may be found in ANY faith tradition and that the various tradition really have no bearing on that truth it is not what you would want to call a cult.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Way as described by nate, is NOT restricted to ANY particular religion. It is the principle of life that Jesus embodied and demonstrated, but it is not remotely limited to followers of Christ.
You, NOT nate, are the only one promoting those behaviors or attitudes. They are your straw men. The JW's are guilty, many Christian denominations are guilty of them, etc. but NOT nate or me or Pleroo.

Since when? You are continually trying to convince everyone on here that you have found the ONLY way, via ripping up all the books. Peace

Old 08-17-2017, 01:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Since when? You are continually trying to convince everyone on here that you have found the ONLY way, via ripping up all the books. Peace
Whereas you just burn books.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality