Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The act epitomizes your wrongness.

That you delight in it, illustrates the depth of the darkness of your spirit.

No my dark spirit was overcome at the cross, and this act epitomized my conversion. Peace

Acts 19:19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Please elaborate. How is book burning biblical?

I certainly don't, within certain legal restrictions. I don't think that distribution of bibles should be publicly funded in any way, and obviously if the manner of distribution is a safety hazard I would object.

I don't know that this is distribution as much as littering. If I find a bible on my doorstep I throw it away in the same way I toss the yellow pages when they are distributed. No qualms.

This is a red herring in any case. Few people are going to categorically decry the destruction of ANY book for ANY reason. We destroy books all the time. I think the real discussion is about the suppression of knowledge, and that action appears to be much more prevalent on the religious side than it is on the non-religious side.

Scientologists and JW actively tell their adherents not to look at critical web pages. I have seen Christians do the same. There is a disturbing groundswell amongst religious people against college, and home-schooloing amongst the religiously devout is skyrocketing.

I don't see any of those attitudes from atheists. As a group, atheists tend to be more knowledgeable on religious details than religious adherents, and I know many atheists who have encouraged their children to explore religion.

One group embraces knowledge, one group suppresses it. Which side would you rather be identified with?

I already did. See my post to Trout.

The right side; HIS. Peace

Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think the point is that you toss or burn the things you don't value. So I guess you suppress that which you don't approve of. Maybe that's why your'e here now, attacking religious people. Good for you! Way to be a modern-day book burner at heart!

I'm not sure Rbb1 was saying that she intentionally bans or wants to round up piles of books to burn.

No Rbbi obeyed G-d in the matter. And I would do it all over again. Peace

Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
In the 70's my mom would host these music burning parties that infuriated me and my friends when they was trying to get rock and roll banned. They took my Kiss album and I like freaked out, and they telling me it means kids in Satan's service, and I am slapping people to get my kiss back. I don't remember her burning any books, just my Satan music and my friends got mad at me cause some of the moms did the same thing. She was like,'' Where is the AC DC?, and I am laughing saying,'' You aint never gonna find my ac dc.''

Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
In the 70's my mom would host these music burning parties that infuriated me and my friends when they was trying to get rock and roll banned. They took my Kiss album and I like freaked out, and they telling me it means kids in Satan's service, and I am slapping people to get my kiss back. I don't remember her burning any books, just my Satan music and my friends got mad at me cause some of the moms did the same thing. She was like,'' Where is the AC DC?, and I am laughing saying,'' You aint never gonna find my ac dc.''

That's because back masking was exposed then, as some of the powerful people in that industry were Satanic worshippers. On some of them you could hear very plainly, "Worship Satan" or other such charming epitaphs, and even without the back masking they openly promoted Satanism in their lyrics.

And you really have to wonder why the generations are deteriorating since then? It's not the thing, it's the spirit behind the thing. Same reason a lot of parent's should have been concerned about rap music promoting violence, murder, rape, and other antisocial behaviors. You pump something into your "womb" (mind) long enough, it has the power to change things, seeds planted and faithfully watered, ALWAYS bear fruit. Which is why we are told to GUARD our heart, for out of it, come the issues of life. Life issues out, the question is, is it HIS life that's being produced. Peace

Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think the point is that you toss or burn the things you don't value. So I guess you suppress that which you don't approve of. Maybe that's why your'e here now, attacking religious people. Good for you! Way to be a modern-day book burner at heart!

I'm not sure Rbb1 was saying that she intentionally bans or wants to round up piles of books to burn.
How am I attacking religious people? I have noted a couple of facts. Is an acknowledgement of fact an attack? Should we ignore facts? If we do, how should we operate in our daily lives, and on what basis should we make decisions?

Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I already did. See my post to Trout.
I think it a bit of a stretch to extrapolate that one verse and claim that the Bible supports the suppression of knowledge. However, it is your holy book, so I will accept your interpretation.

Quote:
The right side; HIS. Peace
At least you are consistent, and have chosen the side that suppresses knowledge. I am saddened for you.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I think it a bit of a stretch to extrapolate that one verse and claim that the Bible supports the suppression of knowledge. However, it is your holy book, so I will accept your interpretation.

At least you are consistent, and have chosen the side that suppresses knowledge. I am saddened for you.

Suppresses knowledge? When you can discern what constitutes true knowledge and wisdom that comes from the Father, you will feel the same way. Peace

Old 08-18-2017, 03:50 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Given the example of book burning under Hitler, I am more than saddened by such attitudes.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Given the example of book burning under Hitler, I am more than saddened by such attitudes.
Keep in mind that it isn't us that are supporting things like evolution as fact, despite all sorts of arguments otherwise. It's not us that suggests that we should not teach other viable theories for how the universe came about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality