Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Actually, I think the people that believe the "quotes" from "God" and/or Jesus in your holy book are nuts.
Yes. You've made that abundantly clear. We're all familiar with the fact that you have an anti-Christian agenda and want to tell all of C-D about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. You've made that abundantly clear. We're all familiar with the fact that you have an anti-Christian agenda and want to tell all of C-D about it.
Da Dude? Heck no! He's a good friend to Christians. The agenda is about fundamentalists of all stripes.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Da Dude? Heck no! He's a good friend to Christians. The agenda is about fundamentalists of all stripes.

You see clearly. Bfun has problems with the planks in his eyes.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:55 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:

Old 05-24-2018, 04:42 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
Kaboom! <clap>

Old 05-24-2018, 05:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
And so he should. Christianity is a social evil - as the posts that you come up (quite beside the evident bitterness and hate) with make perfectly clear - and all right -thinking people should be working together to eject it as a social influence. It is our mission, and so why shouldn't it be his?
Quote:
That's because God has stopped speaking through prophets. If someone tells you that God told them something, then they're lying, or they're nuts.
"Give them enough rope...".It's not an Axiom exactly, but so often if you let a Fundy Bible -apologists talk long enough he'll debunk himself without any help from us.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:19 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And so he should. Christianity is a social evil - as the posts that you come up (quite beside the evident bitterness and hate) with make perfectly clear - and all right -thinking people should be working together to eject it as a social influence. It is our mission, and so why shouldn't it be his?

"Give them enough rope...".It's not an Axiom exactly, but so often if you let a Fundy Bible -apologists talk long enough he'll debunk himself without any help from us.
I'm sorry, I don't believe anything I've said indicates that any harsh attitude, nor does it suggest that I've "hung myself".

He has revealed his Words in the bible. I stand by that. I also stand by the fact that he left a church to make disciples and to bring people to faith.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't believe anything I've said indicates that any harsh attitude, nor does it suggest that I've "hung myself".

He has revealed his Words in the bible. I stand by that. I also stand by the fact that he left a church to make disciples and to bring people to faith.
You hung yourself by dismissing anyone who prophecies today as being wrong and deluded - just because of what you believe. If you believe this on Faith, it is no more than your opinion. If oy believe it in 'evidence' you are being selective about when evidence counts.

You just hung yourself.

Of course, denouncing unilaterally anyone who thinks differently from you won't seem like bitterness and hate to you.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:

The part that stands out for me is "he left". Would a loving all powerful god leave in the first place, let alone leaving behind such scant and unverifiable 'evidence'. The 'book' evidence is very much man written, making it somewhat questionable, wouldn't you agree?

Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 AM

I shall be very interested to see whether he does, because that is another "noose".

If he says it is written by men, then why should we believe it? If it is (transmitted) word of God, why is it full of errors (cue discrepancy debate).

"Inspired" by God is just an evasion. It doesn't matter whether a biography was 'inspired' by a famous person or not. What matters is whether it is correct or not. If you can show that it isn't correct, it doesn't matter whether the writer never spoke to the person, but did decent research (1). If it is wrong, then whether some being dictated it or they just wrote it themselves, it is not deserving of credence.

We of course get the 'good ideas in it' argument, but this is no more than a feeble effort to keep afloat an old wreck that is rapidly sinking.

(1) I consider "Testimony" to be that - not dictated by Shostakovich, but very well researched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality