Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
It's arrogant not to be a mass murderer? Not to condone rape? Not to murder all firstborns?

And let's face it. Biblical God screwed things up big time.
Don't get jammed up with that stuff 303Guy!
The only thing that is more unreasonable than taking the allegorical and metaphorical stories in ancient books as real and literal...is assessing the behavior and mindset of the various characters by those that claim they do not exist.
Nonexistent entities do not condone rape, murder, or screw things up...they don't do anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The only thing that is more unreasonable than taking the allegorical and metaphorical stories in ancient books as real and literal...is assessing the behavior and mindset of the various characters by those that claim they do not exist.
Nonexistent entities do not condone rape, murder, or screw things up...they don't do anything at all.
I know you think that's a very clever argument. Keep patting yourself on the back while you ignore the condoning of rape, murder, and countless other screw-ups. Either god is perfect or he's not god.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
I coulda sworn y'all said that the Biblical God didn't exist.
How can something nonexistent do anything, let alone be "immoral" or an "idiot"?
Critiquing the morality of the actions of nonexistent entities is what is demonstrative of an "idiot"...to me, anyway.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know you think that's a very clever argument. Keep patting yourself on the back while you ignore the condoning of rape, murder, and countless other screw-ups. Either god is perfect or he's not god.
It is a typical twist or what is known and accepted about literary criticism: That actions of even fictional characters in literature are discussed and even judged AS IF they had hapened in real life. Gp;dnRule is trying to pull the wool over the eyes of those who don't know that every criticism of the "actions" of the "character" under discussin is understood to include the thought that if this were happening in real life, this would be the judgement concerni ng those actions.

Znyone who actually believes that those actions took place in fact and attempts to defend them is liable to that judgement intended for the hypothetical or reported action.

If the "action" is declared immoral or idiotic, the defense of such action is immoral or idiotic..

"Lawyers tricks" are sleazy GoldnRule.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:18 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Not lacking in arrogance, I see....
Lacking a dictionary, I see.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
How can something nonexistent do anything, let alone be "immoral" or an "idiot"?
Critiquing the morality of the actions of nonexistent entities is what is demonstrative of an "idiot"...to me, anyway.
Is Sauron evil? Is Frodo a good guy?

Did Zeus like the ladies?

Saying God is immoral is a shortcut way of saying the god portrayed in the Jewish bible is presented as an immoral monster.

Not understanding this simple concept is demonstrative of an "idiot".

Old 05-26-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
The nonexistent entity portrayed in the bible DOES condone rape, murder, and screw things up.

Do we need to spell EVERYTHING out for you?

Old 05-26-2018, 05:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, captain obvious. In fact we don't actually believe that a god is responsible for any of those acts, even if we credit the acts. No more than you do, I suppose. So the discussion doesn't relate to your beliefs, but to those who DO believe that a god was behind all of that.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:

You will find that Goldie doesn't think the Bible describes God either - no more than his mentor, Mystic phd does. Mystic phd is something of an irreligious theist, though elevating the gospel Jesus story to the pinnacle on his Beliefs so he is in fact a Christian, though the kind that has invented his own brand of Christianity to an extraordinary degree.

Goldie, so it seems to me, doesn't believe any of that any more than we do. Indeed, he isn't a god -believer at all, but pretends that he is because of his detestation of atheists. Mystic admits that God has to be intelligent or it isn't god but nature. Goldie knows this too and admitted it though later tried to pretend that he didn't. And he tries to get around this paradox of a god that isn't a god by semantic dickering that fools no -one, but makes him feel very pleased with himself because he is wasting atheist efforts for Jesus, for whom he is rooting not because he believes in him, but because he thinks it is annoying atheists.

Now you know all you need to about the two most irrelevant time -wasters on the board.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
God (ALL THAT EXISTS) is perfect. How could it be anything but?
It is what it is. And it is GOD.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you, captain obvious. In fact we don't actually believe that a god is responsible for any of those acts, even if we credit the acts. No more than you do, I suppose. So the discussion doesn't relate to your beliefs, but to those who DO believe that a god was behind all of that.
Then just say..."It is all metaphorical and allegorical, it isn't real"...and be done with it.
Y'all are the ones doing an analysis of the actions and mindset of entities you claim do not exist. That is idiotic...to say the least.
At least the religion believers are telling what they have heard or read about the actions and attitude of entities they believe actually exist.
They may be misguided...but at least they make sense to that extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality