Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 AM

13,636 posts, read 10,040,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Faith is believing something that you know isnt true.

Con men (confidence men) use this ability to swindle naive people who don't even realize that such a thing is possible.
Just keep on telling yourself this, and maybe, just maybe, you'll start to believe.

I suppose it all depends on which person you are at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 05:57 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are overreacting. Faith is a state of mind that involves certainty, period. You are concerned with the degree of validity of the reasons for the certainty, but that is not relevant to the state of mind itself. It is only relevant to your secondhand acceptance of someone else's certainty which is based on those things YOU have Faith in (certainty) about.
Faith has two nearly opposite definitions.

Colloquially, faith is trust based on experience.

Religious faith on the other hand is belief based on asserted truth without a requirement of substantiation.

One is based on the preponderance of evidence and likelihood of repeating an experience concerning some aspect of the natural world.

The other is based on what one hopes is true concerning some aspect of the supernatural world.

Never the twain shall meet, and I'm deeply weary of theists conflating the two.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Religious faith on the other hand is belief based on asserted truth without a requirement of substantiation.

One is based on the preponderance of evidence and likelihood of repeating an experience concerning some aspect of the natural world.

The other is based on what one hopes is true concerning some aspect of the supernatural world.

yup, a statement of belief about "god" based on "why I believe mine is the correct answer", in this case, anti-anything, to market atheism based on personal need. that personal need, usually based on a wrong doing, distorts, changes, minimizes, and will dehumanize anything, anybody, any event that threatens the person's faith statement about god in contexted of their sect of atheism.

yet again, you provide a nice example. reasonable interpretations and personal need based opinion on a statement of belief about god can't meet for some people. The drive to "avenge" themselves and family skews the world view. lmao, when just one look in the mirror closes most of the disconnects.

Us middle of the roaders, in this matter, are stuck between two ends of a human statement of belief boob stick.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:47 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
In many ways, faith is merely confirmation bias.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I notice you neglected to bold "to a greater or lesser degree" or get that I noted "some" faith.
You are all hung up on "levels" of faith...and do not seem to understand that my point was that anything we accept as true requires a component of faith...not just religious beliefs, but anything.
BUT...I have FAITH that you'll "get it" if you keep trying!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:57 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I notice you neglected to bold "to a greater or lesser degree" or get that I noted "some" faith.
You are all hung up on "levels" of faith...and do not seem to understand that my point was that anything we accept as true requires a component of faith...not just religious beliefs, but anything.
Yes, we understand your point. It is you who fails to understand ours. The question is, is this by design?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

And so you should be. Mystic is Educated enough to know logical fallacy when he sees it or at least to learn it when it is explained to him
. What is wrong with his head isn't Education ...but Something Else. For a stopgap, Faith -based denial, will do.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:22 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No, I pointed that out and told why you were making the mistake that you did by not utilizing such distinctions and thus making contradictions in your statements. I used that as part of my arguments. I'm not hung up on anything. You need to stop equivocating and draw such distinctions and not refer to everything as faith and then back peddle when shown a lack of rigor in you descriptions.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, we understand your point. It is you who fails to understand ours. The question is, is this by design?
I understand y'alls point just fine.
You feel the need to slam religion to support your own belief position. Which makes you just like them. Which is MY point.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
No, I pointed that out and told why you were making the mistake that you did by not utilizing such distinctions and thus making contradictions in your statements. I used that as part of my arguments. I'm not hung up on anything. You need to stop equivocating and draw such distinctions and not refer to everything as faith and then back peddle when shown a lack of rigor in you descriptions.
Your failure to "get it" is on you, not me.
Anything you think you "know" is based upon some level of faith...and that's just how it is. That mindset is not limited to just religious beliefs...but applies to everything.
But now I have switched up my assessment: I now have FAITH that y'all will continue to be intentionally obtuse, so to support your bash-religion belief position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality